WAMC Non-trad applicant with a heavy reinvention

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sharkysharkshark

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I would really appreciate any advice on where to apply and what schools to select.
My academic history is a bit of a mess. Very low undergrad GPA: 2.65 (2.64 BCPM GPA). Was an international student, I assume full responsibility for my performance. Since then I joined the Army, was naturalized, and got an honorable discharge. In the Army, I was a Medic, had leadership experience, was also involved in the training of soldiers.
After my discharge, I did 32 credits of DIY post-bacc that I started in the Army. My GPA was 3.7 for the post-bacc.
Completed classes in an SMP (3.7 GPA) around 32 credits.
My cGPA is at 2.85, same for science and about 2.9 for AACOMAS (masters + undergrad)
My MCAT retake is 515 (128/128/128/131), the first one was 506 (126/126/128/126).
Have almost 4k hours as an ER Tech in community ER and about a 200 (will be closer to 800 by January) research hours. Volunteer BJJ coach ~120 hours (had to cut short due to SMP classes, will pick up in Fall again or after COVID, if that will ever happen). Have awards from the military, I don't know if it matters and was a second author on a publication.
Have a good rural background (grew up on a collectivist farm). I have no preference over DO vs MD. I work with both and can't even tell the difference.
I did browse through the forums and made a preliminary list of schools, are there any more that I should add or subtract?

Thank you!

My MD list is:

Dartmouth

BU

USUHS

Pitt

EVMS

U Miami

Hofstra

Emory

Jefferson

Drexel

Albany

Tufts

NYMC

UMASS

Rush

Loyola

Rosy Franklin

Tulane

Wake

MCW

SLU

Creighton

Wayne State

Netter

My DO List:

KCOM

UNECOM

PCOM (all campuses)

KCUCOM

DMUCOM

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest adding these DO schools:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
WCU-COM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
UIWSOM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
ATSU (both schools)
TUNCOM

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest adding these DO schools:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
WCU-COM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
UIWSOM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
ATSU (both schools)
TUNCOM

Thank you Faha! Do you think I should aim for DO more? I don't personally have a strong preference and I am very interested in primary care specialties, but is any MD more of a reach for me?

The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have ~25% chance for a MD acceptance. Your chances are much better for DO schools. You could receive MD interviews but it is unpredictable as to where you will receive interviews.