WAMC: Non-trad applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TurtleEnthusiast17

Reaction score
***REMOVED***

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Seems pretty top heavy list to me, but I’m not really in tune with the new mcat

Also, some will decry a short term mission trip (I think they are fine) but be prepared to talk about how you didn’t do anything there medically that you aren’t qualified to do here

Reactions: 1 user
There are a few schools that I know are very high reaches on my list such as Mayo and Case, but majority are match schools for my GPA/MCAT based on MSAR. Additionally, on my list there are a few reach schools such as Emory, St. Louis, Rochester, and Dartmouth, but I still fall within their 10-90 percentile range, or better, looking at statistics alone. I tried to find some schools that looked at more 'holistic' and 'life experience' characteristics for my reaches that fit my background.

Yes I am aware of the view of medical mission trips and I will keep that in mind while I write up my activities section. Personally I found it very valuable as I was able to see a completely different community and culture which I would never had been able to where I live.

Members don't see this ad :)
My impressions:
Shadowing is right at around 50 hours, so hopefully you'll have more. I need more details about your clinical experience as a MA.

We warn about non-US experiences and the problem with "voluntourism" especially with medical missions. I always look for signs of commitment and consistency when it comes to non-clinical volunteering, especially when serving vulnerable populations and giving the applicant a chance to really understand communities outside his/her comfort zone. To that extent, as described, non-clinical volunteering is pretty much teaching and tutoring, which is a typical premed/prehealth activity that won't allow one to stand out as much. It's not that the act of teaching isn't important, but backing up the experiences of going abroad by seeking analogous opportunities domestically is more justifiable in file deliberations.

Don't think that means I believe you have no shot. I think you do, and the list seems reasonable to me. Hopefully you know of other former students from your university who made it to medical school, including former athletes who might have been in a similar situation as yourself. That insight plus connections with other current students and admissions recruiters will help you.

My impressions:
Shadowing is right at around 50 hours, so hopefully you'll have more. I need more details about your clinical experience as a MA.

We warn about non-US experiences and the problem with "voluntourism" especially with medical missions. I always look for signs of commitment and consistency when it comes to non-clinical volunteering, especially when serving vulnerable populations and giving the applicant a chance to really understand communities outside his/her comfort zone. To that extent, as described, non-clinical volunteering is pretty much teaching and tutoring, which is a typical premed/prehealth activity that won't allow one to stand out as much. It's not that the act of teaching isn't important, but backing up the experiences of going abroad by seeking analogous opportunities domestically is more justifiable in file deliberations.

Don't think that means I believe you have no shot. I think you do, and the list seems reasonable to me. Hopefully you know of other former students from your university who made it to medical school, including former athletes who might have been in a similar situation as yourself. That insight plus connections with other current students and admissions recruiters will help you.

Thank you for your feedback. I understand where you are coming from, but I think with my additional non-clinical volunteering experiences with other local under-served communities, including the medical mission trip in my activities section won't hurt my application but instead give a different perspective of who I am (unless I am wrong, if so please correct me).

For MA details: I'm working at a dermatology clinic with duties such as patient intake, scribing, and assisting providers as needed. Also, how many hours of shadowing do you recommend? Part of my job includes scribing, which in itself I could put as shadowing but just not 'double dip' on hours.

I do know some students that have been accepted to some of my reach schools too, which is another reason why I chose those schools. Please let me know if you need any other details, thanks.