WAMC: Non-Trad, LGBT, Engineer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lgbtmed

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I wanted to see how my application looks so far. I am planning to start a MSE program, but want to make sure I am on the right track and if it is a good idea for me to start this program. Since I can't raise my GPA up much, I thought having a good graduate gpa, MCAT, and ECs would bulk up my application.

Year: Senior
UG GPA: 3.25 (with upward trend)
(I know its very low, but I have so many credits that it would take 70 credits of A's just to get a 3.4)
MCAT: Scoring around 518 on AAMC practice exams
Major: Microbiology
State: Moving to WA soon and will declare residency

I identify as female and LGBTQ

I am planning on starting a Masters Degree in Biomedical Engineering through a Johns Hopkins hybrid program, since I am passionate about regenerative medicine
I would take a gap semester after graduating then start the program.
I am also really passionate about LGBTQ health and the disparities LGBTQ people face

Non-Clinical Work:
  • First responder/lifeguard at theme park (1200+ hours)
  • Other Jobs (300+ hours)
Clinical Experience:
  • Patient Care Tech (will have 2500+ hours by time of application)
Volunteer:
  • Animal Hospital and Shelter (200+ hours)
Shadowing:
  • (Will have around 100+ hours by time of application)
Extracurricular:
  • LGBT Medicine Club (50+ hours)
Hobbies:
  • Learning Python, Swift, MatLab, and Java (1500+ hours)

I would like to know if I am competitive or what I can do to add to my application. I also would like to know which schools would be good to apply to, since I have an upward trend, good MCAT, and lots of experience. I'm open to MD and DO (but prefer MD) and plan to apply to schools in/near big cities.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I wanted to see how my application looks so far. I am planning to start a MSE program, but want to make sure I am on the right track and if it is a good idea for me to start this program. Since I can't raise my GPA up much, I thought having a good graduate gpa, MCAT, and ECs would bulk up my application.

(I know its very low, but I have so many credits that it would take 70 credits of A's just to get a 3.4)

I am planning on starting a Masters Degree in Biomedical Engineering through a Johns Hopkins hybrid program, since I am passionate about regenerative medicine
I am also really passionate about LGBTQ health and the disparities LGBTQ people face

Non-Clinical Work:
Clinical Experience:
Volunteer:
Shadowing:
Extracurricular:
Hobbies:

I would like to know if I am competitive or what I can do to add to my application. I also would like to know which schools would be good to apply to, since I have an upward trend, good MCAT, and lots of experience. I'm open to MD and DO (but prefer MD) and plan to apply to schools in/near big cities.

Engineering curricula are extremely rigorous so how well you do is upper-level biomedical science classes is going to be important. What classes that might fit this classification in your MSE program? You may also consider doing a SMP after you are done if you continue to be sincere with your interest in medicine. I think you have more than what you have listed with extracurricular activities, and we may need a bit more insight with your clinical exposure. Networking is going to be very critical after you move out to the west coast. So my own opinion is pause until you get your official MCAT score and start making connections with curricula, faculty, and students you think are best supportive to what you want to do.

Reactions: 1 user
Overall your app looks strong. You will have to perform really well in your graduate program to combat the lower undergrad GPA. If you preformed well in all the med pre-req courses you should fine in general though.

I'd also recommend being more active in LGBTQ+ medicine if that is what you are interested in (based on your ECs). Try to find a community clinic that focuses on LGBTQ+ care and see what it means to serve the population. It not only helped my application, but it was important for me get a direct experience with the medical needs of LGBTQ+ patients. Your app looks strong though and as long as you crush the MCAT and your grad program you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Overall your app looks strong. You will have to perform really well in your graduate program to combat the lower undergrad GPA. If you preformed well in all the med pre-req courses you should fine in general though.

I'd also recommend being more active in LGBTQ+ medicine if that is what you are interested in (based on your ECs). Try to find a community clinic that focuses on LGBTQ+ care and see what it means to serve the population. It not only helped my application, but it was important for me get a direct experience with the medical needs of LGBTQ+ patients. Your app looks strong though and as long as you crush the MCAT and your grad program you should be fine.

Following up on this point: I don't know exactly where you live, but in larger US cities there is usually an LGBTQ community center which may list some such clinics as resources on their websites. I know of Walker-Whitman in the DC area as one example.

The AAMC also has a resource website which you (and EVERY applicant) should access:

Reactions: 2 users
The AAMC also has a resource website which you (and EVERY applicant) should access:

Wow, that's awesome! I volunteer at the Resource Center in Texas, but will be moving soon so this resource is super helpful. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
You may also consider doing a SMP after you are done if you continue to be sincere with your interest in medicine.
I was actually thinking about doing a LGBTQ+Health Policy & Practice grad certificate through GWU after my masters, but I'm not sure.

I'd also recommend being more active in LGBTQ+ medicine if that is what you are interested in (based on your ECs). Try to find a community clinic that focuses on LGBTQ+ care and see what it means to serve the population. It not only helped my application, but it was important for me get a direct experience with the medical needs of LGBTQ+ patients.
I'm actually applying now for a community clinic that has LGBTQ+ nights once a month. I think this will give me some great experience working with LGBTQ+ patients.

Are you interested in DO schools? Your GPA is low for MD but depending on your MCAT you might be okay for DO. MD will not use your Masters GPA in calculating your GPA but DO will. You only need 50 hours of shadowing as long as you have some with a primary care doc. Your volunteering at the animal shelter is fine but switch over to serving unserved/underserved people in your community. If you are active in the LGBTQ community and have volunteer hours perhaps you have this covered already. If so, keep at it. Or just find a soup kitchen or a homeless shelter to volunteer at. Good luck on the MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users

Non-Clinical Work:
Clinical Experience:
Volunteer:
Shadowing:
Extracurricular:
Hobbies:

Come back when you have an MCAT score and then we can properly advise.
You're going to need more nonclinical volunteering. Get off campus and out of your comfort zone.