WAMC (non-trad student)?? low cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElizaThornberry

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
- I am still relatively new to this whole pre-vet thing & I decided to calculate my cGPA how the VMCAs would (i guess I was dumb and thought they would just take an average GPA from all schools attended). I inputted everything into an excel document & it's 2.99.
I am posting asking you guys what my best strategy would be going forward...?
Is it worth it to retake courses when my worst grades aren't even veterinary school pre reqs (Ecology, evolution, animal diversity, and two remedial math courses)??
- I have 156 credits as of right now so I feel like a Master's would be better. I kinda feel like what's done is done at this point with that many credits...
- My most recent GPA shows an upward trend. I got A's in harder courses and I ended my B.S. with a 3.27 gpa (which is also my last 45) and got a 3.67 gpa this semester (9 credits).
I am feeling very discouraged seeing a 2.99 cGPA as it honestly makes me feel like I wasted my time-although I didn't consider veterinary school until 2018 and never took college seriously, no one encouraged me
-but I am conflicted too bc my grades really aren't terrible (at least in the sciences). My 156 credits consists of: 14 A's, 22 B's, and 11 C's ( 1 D in a geography course back in 2013). I am perpetually a B student... but I guess I got too many C's in more heavily weighted courses.
-My IS is Illinois & I'm planning on applying there & utilizing the petition for deletion of 1st year undergrad grades. Does anyone have experience with this??

TL;DR low cGPA (w 156 credits) how do I become a competitive candidate to apply during the 2022 or 2023 cycle???

Degrees: Associate of Science (Fall 2017) and Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences (Fall 2020)

cGPA: 2.99
last 45 GPA: 3.27
science GPA: 3.39.... (i think?? if it's also calculated using quality points)

As of right now I have barely any veterinary hours (but that's not the point of this post and I have way more control of that) and about 1000 animal hours from working at a dog kennel and on a farm doing mostly swine stuff (processing piglets, ultrasounds, and AI).

Volunteering:
-River clean up (25 hrs, annually 2014-2019)
-dog walker (~20hrs)
-cat socialization (~5 hrs)
-NCAUR Science Rocks! event (National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research) ~5 hrs
-SAFE fundraising events-~ 6hrs
-Invasive species (mustard) picking at Nature Preserve: ~2 hrs
-State Park Cleanup~ 4 hrs

Research:
Minimum inhibitory concentrations of different antimicrobials on P. aeruginosa and E. coli strains (40-50 hrs)
Drosophila lab (learned how to cut wings and keep fly stocks) ~20 hrs

Employment:
Crew (basically a shift manager) at fast food restaurant (part time/full time): 3.5 years
Barista (part time): 2 years
Kennel Tech (part time): ~3 months
Student worker at University farm (part time): ~4 months

Clubs/Organizations:
SAFE: Student Association for the environment (3 years)

Awards/Honors:
Dean's List ( 1 semester :( )

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think taking more upper level science coursework and getting as high of grades as possible would be your best route. I'm not sure retaking those exact same courses would be beneficial, or if it would be possible unless you received a C- or lower in them. I do want to say, I don't think you are necessarily in a terrible position. Coming out of undergrad I was very similar to you at a 2.98, even though I had a majority Bs and a lot of As in the second half of my degree. I did end up pursuing a Masters and some post bacc science work which helped bring my cumulative to 3.27, the post bacc courses brought my "undergrad" gpa over a 3.0, and my last 45 to a 4.0.

I think the route you go to take courses would also depend on your overall goals as well as the schools you are applying to. I loved my masters and it allowed me to do upper level science coursework, research, teach, etc. However, it may be a more expensive option that doing a DIY post-bacc and certain schools will only look at undergraduate coursework for their main GPAs or will only include didactic graduate coursework (so they wouldn't include 15 credit hours of As in grad teaching, research, seminar, etc. courses). If schools you are wanting to apply to are going to hone in on undergrad GPAs, then a post bacc might be better because those courses actually count as undergrad credit.

As far as the Illinois admissions process, I didn't apply there so someone else may be better suited to answer those specific questions.

Reactions: 1 user
I also am a bit confused about something..when I want to a CC my math placement score wasn't high enough and I took 3 algebra courses before taking College Algebra. Would the people looking at my app count the best Algebra grade, the most recent one, or look at all of them since they all are essentially the same??? Same goes for Zoology....I got an A in one Zoology and a C in another..which one would count??
Different vet schools have different policies about how they count courses you've retaken. Some take an average of the original and the new grade for the course, some do grade replacement where they just use the new grade. For the algebra courses, are you referring to for prereq purposes? When filling out VMCAS, you have to select the courses that you want to count toward your prereqs. I don't really know if schools that calculate prereq GPAs only utilize the courses you selected or additionally count the other courses that would work to factor into the prereq GPA. When I was selecting my prereqs on VMCAS, I just selected the courses that would fit and that I did the best in.

I've read about some schools having a cap on how long ago you've taken the prerequisites so that's something to keep in mind possibly. I'm unsure about what Illinois' policy on this is though. It can be something you can ask admissions about just to make sure you have all the courses you need when applying.

Is there an expiration date for prerequisite courses taken?​

Prerequisite science and math courses ten years or older will not be accepted. These courses need to be repeated or courses of a higher level may be substituted. All courses taken will be used in the cumulative GPA. The repeated or substituted courses will be used in the prerequisite core GPA. If you wish to appeal this policy, a written appeal should be sent to [email protected] and will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Source: Frequently Asked Questions

Of course you should shoot for as high of a GPA as you can get but just keep in mind that the recent average cGPA at Illinois was 3.59 with an average Science GPA of 3.49. A lot of vet schools have lower minimum GPAs for being allowed to apply but once admissions can see the pool of applicants (and how competitive everyone's GPAs are) they then decide the actual GPA cutoff which you will not of course know when you are applying. If you don't get above that GPA cutoff, you won't be able to get past Phase 1 for Illinois admissions.
Source: Admissions - Veterinary Medicine at Illinois If you haven't, I would recommend reading this information page about the admissions decisions process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think taking more upper level science coursework and getting as high of grades as possible would be your best route. I'm not sure retaking those exact same courses would be beneficial, or if it would be possible unless you received a C- or lower in them. I do want to say, I don't think you are necessarily in a terrible position. Coming out of undergrad I was very similar to you at a 2.98, even though I had a majority Bs and a lot of As in the second half of my degree. I did end up pursuing a Masters and some post bacc science work which helped bring my cumulative to 3.27, the post bacc courses brought my "undergrad" gpa over a 3.0, and my last 45 to a 4.0.

I think the route you go to take courses would also depend on your overall goals as well as the schools you are applying to. I loved my masters and it allowed me to do upper level science coursework, research, teach, etc. However, it may be a more expensive option that doing a DIY post-bacc and certain schools will only look at undergraduate coursework for their main GPAs or will only include didactic graduate coursework (so they wouldn't include 15 credit hours of As in grad teaching, research, seminar, etc. courses). If schools you are wanting to apply to are going to hone in on undergrad GPAs, then a post bacc might be better because those courses actually count as undergrad credit.

As far as the Illinois admissions process, I didn't apply there so someone else may be better suited to answer those specific questions.
I guess what I should have mentioned was that I would NOT being pursuing a Master's that wouldn't PAY me. I have thought about post bacc classes but there is really no way to get through them without taking more loans (I already have enough from undergrad bc I took 7 years)....even if I declare a 2nd Bachelor's which would at least qualify me for aid.
I think an M.S. would benefit me also because I want to become a certified veterinary microbiologist-there are a few routes to get there but one route is to do an M.S. in vet microbiology (or similar field) and get a bit of training in the area and then take ACVM certification exams. (Certification Information | American College of Veterinary Microbiologists)

I would keep in mind that while many masters programs do have funding opportunities, you need to have in the back of your mind a plan for if you don't get paid. Funding towards your research will be priority with any tuition coverage/stipends coming in second. In my case, my PI made it appear as though there was a ton of funding when he took me on, and there was actually none. I ended up picking up a 50% assistantship in another department, but not until my second semester. The other two students that were my year in the program were also not offered assistantships until the 2nd semester, and each PI typically only had one teaching assistantship to offer between their multiple grad students. This obviously may be different across schools/programs, but I would just have a financial plan in mind if you don't get 100% of the program covered.

An M.S. sounds like the right fit for your career goals though!

Reactions: 1 users
I graduated undergrad with a cGPA ~2.7 and was accepted to vet school my first application cycle. My situation was different than yours though ... my original degree was in an unrelated field (engineering) so I hadn’t taken the majority of my prereqs. I enrolled as a 2nd degree student at a school near me and took prereqs and additional upper level biology courses (didn’t actually finish the 2nd degree). I graduated undergrad with more credits than you have and was able to bring my cGPA up to 3.06. This allowed me to apply to more schools. Illinois was one of the schools I applied to (non-resident pool) and I didn’t make it past phase I. I applied with a last 45 GPA of 4.0 but they only use cGPA and a science GPA they calculate. How they evaluate applicants was not at all favorable to my academic journey ... but it may play out better for you since you’re an Illinois resident.

I would reach out to Illinois admissions to see if they can give you advice. They may not have the manpower to really guide you but hopefully they can at least tell you what they would view more favorably - a graduate degree vs retaking prereqs and/or taking additional upper division courses.

When I applied I felt like the rest of my application had to be solid to make up for my blemished academic record. Work on getting diverse veterinary experiences, establishing strong relationships with people that can write you letters, and try to get some leadership experience. Your academic history isn’t a death sentence, but it may take a year or two of grinding to get to where you want to be :)

• Love
I graduated undergrad with a cGPA ~2.7 and was accepted to vet school my first application cycle. My situation was different than yours though ... my original degree was in an unrelated field (engineering) so I hadn’t taken the majority of my prereqs. I enrolled as a 2nd degree student at a school near me and took prereqs and additional upper level biology courses (didn’t actually finish the 2nd degree). I graduated undergrad with more credits than you have and was able to bring my cGPA up to 3.06. This allowed me to apply to more schools. Illinois was one of the schools I applied to (non-resident pool) and I didn’t make it past phase I. I applied with a last 45 GPA of 4.0 but they only use cGPA and a science GPA they calculate. How they evaluate applicants was not at all favorable to my academic journey ... but it may play out better for you since you’re an Illinois resident.

I would reach out to Illinois admissions to see if they can give you advice. They may not have the manpower to really guide you but hopefully they can at least tell you what they would view more favorably - a graduate degree vs retaking prereqs and/or taking additional upper division courses.

When I applied I felt like the rest of my application had to be solid to make up for my blemished academic record. Work on getting diverse veterinary experiences, establishing strong relationships with people that can write you letters, and try to get some leadership experience. Your academic history isn’t a death sentence, but it may take a year or two of grinding to get to where you want to be :)
I must admit to lurking on some threads on here and have read some of your posts....your story is quite inspiring to say the least! Thanks for the advice!

• Care
I would keep in mind that while many masters programs do have funding opportunities, you need to have in the back of your mind a plan for if you don't get paid. Funding towards your research will be priority with any tuition coverage/stipends coming in second. In my case, my PI made it appear as though there was a ton of funding when he took me on, and there was actually none. I ended up picking up a 50% assistantship in another department, but not until my second semester. The other two students that were my year in the program were also not offered assistantships until the 2nd semester, and each PI typically only had one teaching assistantship to offer between their multiple grad students. This obviously may be different across schools/programs, but I would just have a financial plan in mind if you don't get 100% of the program covered.

An M.S. sounds like the right fit for your career goals though!

just wanted to add i was also in a situation where it appeared i would receive funding for my M.S. and ended up receiving a 1 semester TA-ship (while I was enrolled for 6 semesters!) with only partial tuition covered. i learned that it was a complicated situation - my PIs might've thought there was more funding available than there was, that the school was going through changes, etc etc. i think my master's was worth it even though i'm not in vet school yet, but it's definitely something to keep in mind. most of my student debt thus far came from grad school at an in-state public university than from my undergrad.

Wow....I guess I am a bit naive and thought that they would tell you the full story from the get go.....yikes. :cautious:
yeah. it's frustrating. that said, for what it's worth, i don't regret it. i got to write my own project which is kind of uncommon at the master's level, and i'm still working towards publication. my advisors ended up being quite good despite that misstep and still mentor me with research things. i really do think it was more that the administration misled them. another setback was that i also chose to start during a spring semester rather than the fall which ended up impacting my opportunities -- i wasn't considered for new student funding available in the autumn that we all thought i'd be able to get because in the eyes of the broader administration, by choosing to start part-time in the spring to get ahead, i was no longer a 'new student' in the fall.
it's kind of a game of chess.

Sorry if this has already been answered....but I think as far as VMCAS is concerned, your cumulative gpa includes every college course you've taken (doesn't matter whether it's a community college or 4 year institution). Some schools allow grade replacement, which could give you a higher cumulative gpa than VMCAS shows. Others average all attempts and it would be the same as VMCAS cum gpa.

Your last 45 gpa includes the semester that gets you to 45 hours (could be 3 semesters or 4 semesters etc).

The science gpa is trickier. Some schools include all science and math courses, others only include their specific pre-req courses. When you are entering your course work into VMCAS, definitely choose your best grades to fulfill pre-req's.

Don't have any info on Illinois's 1st year grad forgiveness program. Hopefully someone else will be able to chime in. Does it allow forgiveness for 2 semesters or a certain number of credits? How much would this improve your cum and science gpa's?

Best of luck!

Sorry if this has already been answered....but I think as far as VMCAS is concerned, your cumulative gpa includes every college course you've taken (doesn't matter whether it's a community college or 4 year institution). Some schools allow grade replacement, which could give you a higher cumulative gpa than VMCAS shows. Others average all attempts and it would be the same as VMCAS cum gpa.

Your last 45 gpa includes the semester that gets you to 45 hours (could be 3 semesters or 4 semesters etc).

The science gpa is trickier. Some schools include all science and math courses, others only include their specific pre-req courses. When you are entering your course work into VMCAS, definitely choose your best grades to fulfill pre-req's.

Don't have any info on Illinois's 1st year grad forgiveness program. Hopefully someone else will be able to chime in. Does it allow forgiveness for 2 semesters or a certain number of credits? How much would this improve your cum and science gpa's?

Best of luck!
Yeah, for my cGPA I did factor in every single course from 2013-2020....so it's 2.99...my last 45 is accurate as well. But my science GPA might not be 100% accurate because I didn't include any math courses or just pre reqs....but ALL science courses....I read here (VMCAS GPA) that's what you do but I guess its contingent on the school...? I can't find out how Illinois calculates science GPA.... that's frustrating... :confused:
Illinois lets you petition to waive your first semester or first year of college courses so they are excluded from gpa calculations...but you have to provide an explanation statement along with it. If I got rid of my first year of courses, my cGPA goes from 2.99 to 3.09.

I personally went to a public school (thesis program), and stipend offers were not included in admission letters

Edit: Also just wanted to add, I'm not trying to be pessimistic about this, just wanted to make sure you are prepared! There are definitely programs that can get completely covered and these opportunities are totally out there. But even so, things are never 100% guaranteed or full proof. I went to grad school in Illinois, and can say that budget cuts are not uncommon. So, its just good to think "ok if funding were to get cut, or I have a semester thats not covered, what is my financial gameplan?". I do think its appropriate to talk about this if you are in an interview with a potential PI, and they ask you if you have any questions. You could just ask about what the funding and financial resources for grad students are.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
I added some to my post above, but my program was thesis based!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you go to a private university?? My husband said this happens with people who go to private universities and that they are borderline predatory. If I were to get an offer for an M.S. program they would explicitly state in the offer letter if I am receiving a stipend ...and if they didn't mention a stipend I would not partake in that program.

Nope. Public and in-state school.
It's also a considerably high-ranked environmental science school nationwide. My work was thesis-based as well.

Different schools vary with funding - I don't remember what my letter said at this point, as I received my acceptance in December 2015.
I do remember that funding was mentioned and worded in a way that both gave me and my advisors a false sense of security, so watch out for that.

I definitely recommend being skeptical and question everything even if the letter seems to guarantee funding. The note about the budget cut is spot on -- that's part of what happened to me, not to mention just really rapid changes on the campus with the neighboring university.

Last edited:
I personally went to a public school (thesis program), and stipend offers were not included in admission letters

Edit: Also just wanted to add, I'm not trying to be pessimistic about this, just wanted to make sure you are prepared! There are definitely programs that can get completely covered and these opportunities are totally out there. But even so, things are never 100% guaranteed or full proof. I went to grad school in Illinois, and can say that budget cuts are not uncommon. So, its just good to think "ok if funding were to get cut, or I have a semester thats not covered, what is my financial gameplan?". I do think its appropriate to talk about this if you are in an interview with a potential PI, and they ask you if you have any questions. You could just ask about what the funding and financial resources for grad students are.
Oh, I don't think you're being pessimistic at all....rather realistic. I didn't really think about the points you're making and I appreciate your input having gone through a grad degree yourself. I hope this also doesn't come off as offensive and I am not necessarily saying it happened to you in particular....but I know that some students can be admitted to a grad degree program with less than the typical 3.0 GPA but they don't pay you because you are viewed as not as much of an asset to them.

While I had a 2.98, the two people I entered the program with had above 3.0 and did not receive stipends/tuition waivers until our 2nd semester.

also, I had a 3.5 in undergrad 🤷🏻‍♀️ I studied journalism and environmental studies with a minor in animal behavior and gained my wildlife rehab license during that time. My thesis was environmental science and wildlife disease with an interdisciplinary look at communication, so it was a pretty good match.

Different vet schools have different policies about how they count courses you've retaken. Some take an average of the original and the new grade for the course, some do grade replacement where they just use the new grade. For the algebra courses, are you referring to for prereq purposes? When filling out VMCAS, you have to select the courses that you want to count toward your prereqs. I don't really know if schools that calculate prereq GPAs only utilize the courses you selected or additionally count the other courses that would work to factor into the prereq GPA. When I was selecting my prereqs on VMCAS, I just selected the courses that would fit and that I did the best in.

I've read about some schools having a cap on how long ago you've taken the prerequisites so that's something to keep in mind possibly. I'm unsure about what Illinois' policy on this is though. It can be something you can ask admissions about just to make sure you have all the courses you need when applying.

Is there an expiration date for prerequisite courses taken?​

Prerequisite science and math courses ten years or older will not be accepted. These courses need to be repeated or courses of a higher level may be substituted. All courses taken will be used in the cumulative GPA. The repeated or substituted courses will be used in the prerequisite core GPA. If you wish to appeal this policy, a written appeal should be sent to [email protected] and will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Source: Frequently Asked Questions

Of course you should shoot for as high of a GPA as you can get but just keep in mind that the recent average cGPA at Illinois was 3.59 with an average Science GPA of 3.49. A lot of vet schools have lower minimum GPAs for being allowed to apply but once admissions can see the pool of applicants (and how competitive everyone's GPAs are) they then decide the actual GPA cutoff which you will not of course know when you are applying. If you don't get above that GPA cutoff, you won't be able to get past Phase 1 for Illinois admissions.
Source: Admissions - Veterinary Medicine at Illinois If you haven't, I would recommend reading this information page about the admissions decisions process.
-I took "Intro to Mathematics", "Mathematical Literacy" and "Elementary Algebra" courses just to GET INTO College Algebra.....which I am pretty sure is a pre req for most...? So since they are all in the same subject, I think I would just count College Algebra (B) ??....but what you said about choosing what counts for a pre req is helpful information....I didn't know that.
-I have looked at the Admissions page of U of I vet med quite a bit but thank you...,I am pretty sure older credits don't expire at U of I.

Can anyone provide me with anymore feedback please....???? Especially anyone familiar with U of I admissions process who also had a lower GPA!!!

I don't know whether this will be helpful in your situation, but if you're thinking about taking courses to improve GPA with tuition covered, you can try to get employed in the university and enjoy the tuition waiver from the institution. I volunteered in a research lab in UofI, worked my ass off, and got employed at 25% FTE half a year later. I got to take more than 40 credits of science prereqs completely free of tuition and fees in UofI.

Draw back was that I had to work almost full-time (~30-40h per week) in the lab although technically I was only paid for 10h per week while taking full time schedule courses (15-18 credits per semester for three semesters). Additional bonus was the research experience I gained from the job.

I don't know whether this will be helpful in your situation, but if you're thinking about taking courses to improve GPA with tuition covered, you can try to get employed in the university and enjoy the tuition waiver from the institution. I volunteered in a research lab in UofI, worked my ass off, and got employed at 25% FTE half a year later. I got to take more than 40 credits of science prereqs completely free of tuition and fees in UofI.

Draw back was that I had to work almost full-time (~30-40h per week) in the lab although technically I was only paid for 10h per week while taking full time schedule courses (15-18 credits per semester for three semesters). Additional bonus was the research experience I gained from the job.
I have considered this option but have been going back and forth about whether or not I should just go for a Master's....A thesis scares me but at the same time my interest in veterinary medicine is specific and to get to where I want to be a Master's (or PHD) would be very helpful. The benefit of doing what you suggested is no pressure to complete said thesis. I am very interested in the Pathobiology program at U of I in particular and apparently students in the program receive a stipend.... I think it would be awesome to get experience in the diagnostic lab too! I hope what I said makes sense but I think there are benefits and drawbacks to both. May I ask....did you volunteer in a research lab after getting your Bachelor's?? I am assuming....what you said kinda sounds like a DIY post-bacc type of thing

I have considered this option but have been going back and forth about whether or not I should just go for a Master's....A thesis scares me but at the same time my interest in veterinary medicine is specific and to get to where I want to be a Master's (or PHD) would be very helpful. The benefit of doing what you suggested is no pressure to complete said thesis. I am very interested in the Pathobiology program at U of I in particular and apparently students in the program receive a stipend.... I think it would be awesome to get experience in the diagnostic lab too! I hope what I said makes sense but I think there are benefits and drawbacks to both. May I ask....did you volunteer in a research lab after getting your Bachelor's?? I am assuming....what you said kinda sounds like a DIY post-bacc type of thing

A master's thesis isn't that intimidating especially if you have solid research. I was told research experience - and maybe a publication or two - really works in your favor if you want to pursue a specialty residency after DVM graduation. I guess it's nice to have a taste of what research is like before you make that decision.

Yes I basically did a DIY post-bacc. I have my bachelor's and master's in social sciences, and the only science prereq I can take from those degrees was statistics. So I had to take all the science classes when I decided to pursue vet med. As a university employee you can take whatever level courses as long as there're seats left for the graduate non-degree students. I took a couple postgrad classes just for funsies.

A master's thesis isn't that intimidating especially if you have solid research. I was told research experience - and maybe a publication or two - really works in your favor if you want to pursue a specialty residency after DVM graduation. I guess it's nice to have a taste of what research is like before you make that decision.

Yes I basically did a DIY post-bacc. I have my bachelor's and master's in social sciences, and the only science prereq I can take from those degrees was statistics. So I had to take all the science classes when I decided to pursue vet med. As a university employee you can take whatever level courses as long as there're seats left for the graduate non-degree students. I took a couple postgrad classes just for funsies.
Well this is good to know and I appreciate your input. I just wish I had more control of finding a job....taking classes and having them paid for while also being a university employee is contingent on me finding a job there. :shifty:

I guess my question for you is, how serious are you in pursuing this career? How much sacrifice are you willing to make? Will you still love what you do when you're undercompensated for your intelligence and education? Constantly do I see our vets being verbally assaulted by owners. "You don't care about the animals." "You're a heartless b****." "You're only in this for the money." After the owners ignored their cat who hadn't peed in 3 days, or bred their chihuahua with a previous hip fracture and ended up in dystocia, or left their dog attacked dog in the barn for days and saw maggots crawling on their barely breathing dog. If you feel that a kennel or assistant job isn't deserving for you, how would you feel when you encounter these on an (almost) daily basis after 4 years of DVM education and more than $200,000 debt?

Being non-trad and starting on the path to vet med at a later stage in life, sacrifices are almost inevitable. For some it's delaying marriage and family plans, for some it's working multiple (maybe menial) jobs for the experience or the pay, for some it's repeating school to improve grades. I consider myself extremely lucky in my pursuit. I have an excellent vet mentor who taught me so much in medicine as well as made me an employable tech within a year. I found a lab that was willing to train me from a complete newbie in the field and entrusted me projects that ultimately led to publication. But I still had to work for minimum wage for 3 years, volunteer for experience essential for the application, work multiple jobs while taking courses, you name it.

It doesn't always come easy. If you're wondering if it is worth it, then maybe you just don't love it enough. Just a thought.

I guess my question for you is, how serious are you in pursuing this career? How much sacrifice are you willing to make? Will you still love what you do when you're undercompensated for your intelligence and education? Constantly do I see our vets being verbally assaulted by owners. "You don't care about the animals." "You're a heartless b****." "You're only in this for the money." After the owners ignored their cat who hadn't peed in 3 days, or bred their chihuahua with a previous hip fracture and ended up in dystocia, or left their dog attacked dog in the barn for days and saw maggots crawling on their barely breathing dog. If you feel that a kennel or assistant job isn't deserving for you, how would you feel when you encounter these on an (almost) daily basis after 4 years of DVM education and more than $200,000 debt?

Being non-trad and starting on the path to vet med at a later stage in life, sacrifices are almost inevitable. For some it's delaying marriage and family plans, for some it's working multiple (maybe menial) jobs for the experience or the pay, for some it's repeating school to improve grades. I consider myself extremely lucky in my pursuit. I have an excellent vet mentor who taught me so much in medicine as well as made me an employable tech within a year. I found a lab that was willing to train me from a complete newbie in the field and entrusted me projects that ultimately led to publication. But I still had to work for minimum wage for 3 years, volunteer for experience essential for the application, work multiple jobs while taking courses, you name it.

It doesn't always come easy. If you're wondering if it is worth it, then maybe you just don't love it enough. Just a thought.
That's fair and I don't have enough experience right now to say for sure....but I keep going back to vet med for some reason. Idk why...because idk anyone personally in the field and no one put the idea in my head....I guess it's because it melds my interests very well (and it helps that I love science). I know I'd be good at it and have always been an advocate for animals. My pets have always been there for me (when my family wasn't) and I see it as a way of giving back. I am aware of how vets are treated and it's terrible and ridiculous but I don't think it's changing anytime soon....but I am very tough. I am a first generation student and my childhood consisted of abuse and trauma. I have since cut those people out of my life and continued pursuing my education without ever looking back....I definitely have thick skin so to speak and I am tenacious. I am willing to deal with belligerent clientele for the sake of animals (although, I am not very interested in small animal practice...I wouldn't be dealing directly with clients).

How soon were you able to start taking classes utilizing this waiver from the school?? Not sure who I'd talk to at the school for that info....I just got a job at u of I!!