MD WAMC? Non-trad, URM, Reinvention. (3.6 GPA 513 MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vilap

Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: 3.6
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 513 (128/127/130/128)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Michigan
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Latino URM
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: Unknown state school in Michigan
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): Scribe for over a year, minimal shadowing.
  7. Research experience and productivity: Got canceled. Did some lit reviews as consolation.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: Addiction medicine, emergency medicine, family medicine
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: Extensive; up to 1000 hours. Food pantry, created own coalition to help local unhoused, did finances for local addiction recovery center, mutual aid networks, and more
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Started a club on campus, created a magazine for that club, study abroad twice, lots of community service/engagement, TA for genetics lab,
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Graduated Magna cum laude?
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: Non-trad. I flunked out of T-20 school after failing 100 level classes or withdrawing as an 18-year-old due to immaturity basically. Returned to school three years later and got a 3.95. I speak Spanish. Looking to live in diverse and/or high Spanish-speaking areas.
  13. My current School list hits places like LA, Chicago, Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, all of Michigan, nearly all of Florida.
  14. Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest these schools with your stats and geographic preference:
U Michigan
Michigan State
Wayne State
Central Michigan
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Toledo
Miami
USF Morsani
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
NOVA MD
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
New York Medical College
Boston University
Tufts
Kaiser
USC Keck
UCLA

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You really think I can do NYU, Cornell, Columbia, Sinai? I had them on my list before but figured with my MCAT, they’re out of my league.

You really think I can do NYU, Cornell, Columbia, Sinai? I had them on my list before but figured with my MCAT, they’re out of my league.
There is a large Latino patient population in New York City (Bronx is 60% Hispanic).

You don't know unless you try and as a Latino who speaks Spanish and bounced back from a bad freshman year, you might have the skills and grit that even the top schools won't find in most other applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: 3.6
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 513 (128/127/130/128)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Michigan
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Latino URM
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: Unknown state school in Michigan
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): Scribe for over a year, minimal shadowing.
  7. Research experience and productivity: Got canceled. Did some lit reviews as consolation.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: Addiction medicine, emergency medicine, family medicine
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: Extensive; up to 1000 hours. Food pantry, created own coalition to help local unhoused, did finances for local addiction recovery center, mutual aid networks, and more
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Started a club on campus, created a magazine for that club, study abroad twice, lots of community service/engagement, TA for genetics lab,
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Graduated Magna cum laude?
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: Non-trad. I flunked out of T-20 school after failing 100 level classes or withdrawing as an 18-year-old due to immaturity basically. Returned to school three years later and got a 3.95. I speak Spanish. Looking to live in diverse and/or high Spanish-speaking areas.
  13. My current School list hits places like LA, Chicago, Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, all of Michigan, nearly all of Florida.
  14. Thank you for your help!
Which Latino Community do you represent? And please do not say Pittsburgh.

Which Latino Community do you represent? And please do not say Pittsburgh.
I’m not entirely sure what the Pittsburgh part means, but Mexican and my extended family lives in the Mexican village of Detroit!

There is a large Latino patient population in New York City (Bronx is 60% Hispanic).
True! That was one of the main reasons for my locales (and that it would play to my strengths). I just figured I would get tossed aside due to academic history and MCAT. I really appreciate your help!

Go with the wise Faha's list.

If I just ask "what community do you represent?", most people tell me where they live!!
Okay thank you!

Oh gosh that’s hilarious haha!

Reach out to SNMA and LMSA chapter officers at the schools you are most interested in, especially those in your state and near home/Detroit if you want to stay near home. Bonus points if you find some mentors who are active in the NHMA.

I suggest these schools with your stats and geographic preference:
U Michigan
Michigan State
Wayne State
Central Michigan
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Toledo
Miami
USF Morsani
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
NOVA MD
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
New York Medical College
Boston University
Tufts
Kaiser
USC Keck
UCLA
Hi @Faha ! Working my way through most of these. Would your list change if location were not a factor? Thank you so much for your time!

Hi @Faha ! Working my way through most of these. Would your list change if location were not a factor? Thank you so much for your time!
If location is not important you could add Dartmouth, Brown, Georgetown, Pittsburgh, Northwestern, U Chicago.