• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

Say Cheeze

5+ Year Member
May 31, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hey guys! So I will be applying to dental school for the fourth time this cycle. I am a non-traditional applicant (27yo), graduated from undergrad in 2015. I was hoping to get some advice on how to proceed with this next application cycle.

I'm a Texas resident, and ideally I would like to stay in state for dental school. There are many factors which keep me from applying OOS (cost, fiancé, are to name a few). For me personally, dental school is not worth a 500k+ debt. So instead, I've been patient and taken steps to become a more competitive applicant for my in-state schools every cycle.

Since undergrad, I went back and retook classes I got a grade of C in. I also completed my SMP in biomedical science last May (4.0 GPA). And this past October I retook my DAT and scored a 23AA/23TS (previous attempt was a 20AA/20TS).

I've also been working as a dental assistant for four years now. I have fairly good shadowing and volunteering hours, and a publication on research I did after undergrad. My LOR's are really strong (I have read 2/3 of them).

This last cycle I applied in July and interviewed at UTSD-Houston in December and was recently waitlisted.
I also think a factor could be that I retook my DAT late last cycle and the schools didn't receive my official score until mid November.

overall GPA: 3.26
sGPA: 3.06
masters GPA: 4.0
DAT: 23

So my question is, what else can I do to become a more competitive applicant for Texas schools?
I have my application ready to send out, so I'll be applying early this year. I was also thinking of taking post-bacc class(es) this fall to raise my science GPA, but I'm not sure how helpful that would be. I'm going to continue working as a dental assistant and volunteering, but I wanted to know what else I could do at this point.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Oct 14, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
Your SMP will suffice, so don't worry about going backwards with a DIY postbac. Since all grades are locked, you probably will be in a good position to get some attention from schools that won't mind rewarding a high SMP GPA with your DAT score. Hopefully you have kept your contacts among admissions recruiters informed. You don't really give numbers for your experience hours, so I can't comment beyond this.

Reactions: 1 user

Say Cheeze

5+ Year Member
May 31, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Your SMP will suffice, so don't worry about going backwards with a DIY postbac. Since all grades are locked, you probably will be in a good position to get some attention from schools that won't mind rewarding a high SMP GPA with your DAT score. Hopefully you have kept your contacts among admissions recruiters informed. You don't really give numbers for your experience hours, so I can't comment beyond this.

Thank you for the reply!
I have been keeping in touch with the Texas dental school advisors for a of couple years now (going over previous applications, sending updates, etc).
My shadowing hours are approx ~75 but my hours working as a dental assistant are ~3,075 (and counting).
And volunteer is ~490 hours since my freshman year of college.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.