WAMC- non-traditional applicant with lower DAT, higher GPAs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Handsome_Flapjack

Reaction score
Date of submission: July 1st, 2021
Overall GPA: 3.73
Science GPA: 3.66
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.57
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA/TS/PAT/BIO/GC/OR/RC/QR
18/18/17/18/17/20/22/14
State of Residence: KY

Undergrad Attended: In-State University (KY)
Major: Dental Hygiene
Minor: N/A
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes- after acquiring Bachelors of Science degree in Dental Hygiene, started post-bacc. program to complete pre-reqs for dental school.

Shadowing Experience: 45 hours, general dentistry
Volunteering Experience: ~100 hours
Employment:
- part-time registered dental hygienist (RDH) [current]
- about to begin another part-time RDH job at the end of the month.
- part-time server (~16 hours a week); employed for +5yrs
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Band, Pre-Dental group
Relevant Honors or Awards: Cum Laude; multiple Dean's List and Dean's Scholar honors
LOR type and strength: 3 LOR from Dental Hygiene professors- very strong; 1 LOR from dentist (employee for 2 1/2 years as RDH)- moderate.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
-Completed virtual interview last month
School list:
University of Louisville School of Dentistry

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Oh those DAT scores. If you did really well as a dental hygienist, perhaps, but at the very least that DAT needs to be in the 20's.
Thanks for the advice. I had an interview already, doesn’t that mean they are considering me despite my lower DAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. I had an interview already, doesn’t that mean they are considering me despite my lower DAT?
WAMC is more of "what are my chances for an interview". If you've already gotten an interview, then it's really your performance in the interview that will determine if you get accepted or not, and so our feedback on your app is essentially meaningless.

Reactions: 1 users