WAMC - Non-Traditional Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StudentDogtor

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am applying this upcoming cycle and would love to get some insight into the process and get any advice anyone has for me going into the future. I am non-traditional applicant as my undergraduate studies (Computer Engineer) don't reflect directly into the degree that I am trying to pursue (DVM). I have had a strong passion for veterinary medicine since before entering college, but in order to put myself through vet school and as a backup in case I get rejected from the competitive process, I chose to pursue a stable Engineering degree to earn while I make up my prerequisites and experience in the lacking categories.

I am currently working on completing my prerequisites for numerous schools both in the USA and others international. Sadly, this "safer" approach has weakened my application because I have no research experience and limited exposure to a wide variety of experience beyond SA. I have been working full-time on the side as an engineer for the past 2 year while I take classes and get experience (and hopefully research), if that means anything.

Some of the target schools: Kansas State University, Missouri University, Virginia Tech, Ross, SGU, universities in Europe

US resident, 23 years old,

Cumulative GPA: 3.7 (Should get boosted upwards with the completion of prerequisites)
Science GPA: 3.8 (Should get boosted upwards with the completion of prerequisites)

Undergraduate Degree: B.S. Computer Science

GRE (Q/V/W): 164/158/4.5

Veterinary Experience:
• 500+ hours of SA clinic working as veterinary assistant
• ~100 hours shadowing a Vet directly
Animal Experience:
• ~100 hours assisting with sick/premature foals
• ~100 hours assisting with at-risk mares of foaling
Research Experience:
• None

Letters of Rec:
• I will be able to secure recommendations from vets (both small and large animal practitioners) who know me very well and can really vouch for my real passion in vet science.

Concerns:
• I think my biggest concern is explaining my undergraduate degree being so far off the spectrum from what I'm pursuing
• Lack of diversity in my animal experience (very limited exposure to large animals and anything beyond dogs/cats)
• Most of my science prerequisites will be from a state community college, however, they do equivalently transfer over to all 4-year universities biology programs in my home state.
• Verbal GRE seems low to me, which could be concerning.

I think my main question here is not really geared towards specific schools, but about whether my application would stand a chance considering the information I have provided above. I would really appreciate any advice on how to approach this application because I am not familiar with this process too much and any guidance would be immensely appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You will be fine! I have my original degree in aerospace engineering and have spent the last 10 years working in the defense industry while taking my prereqs and getting a variety of experiences. I applied with no research experience and was invited to interview at a bunch of schools (Kansas State, Virginia Tech, and SGU from your list but others as well). My cGPA was nowhere near as high as yours either.

Do you have any engineering bosses that can write you a letter of recommendation? I had people from various aspects of my life write me letters so I ended up with a small animal vet, a large animal vet, one of my engineering bosses, 2 professors, and the president of a non-profit I’ve been with 7 years. My engineering boss shared his letter with me and it was killer and not something traditional students have.

Other than that, try to experience other aspects of vet med - you still have time! I applied with 3000 small animal hours (general practice, emergency, and low cost) but was also able to get a few hours in exotics & wildlife and equine & large animal. Even if it’s just 8 hours in something different, do it! If you can’t find a vet, try a farrier - spent some time with one and let me tell you, it’s an art!

Oh, and my verbal GRE score was lower than yours (152 :confused: )

As EngrSC has said, I don’t think your approach has put you at a disadvantage at all. Your GPA’s and GRE are excellent. Your vet hours are a little low, but it’s all about how you present yourself in the application. And if your vet letters of recommendation are strong that should mitigate any concerns regarding your exposure to the field of veterinary medicine. To vary your experience a little, find a large animal vet or an emergency clinic and volunteer there for a couple of saturdays.

Yes research can be a plus, but many successful applicants have zero research experience. You’ve got a couple of years of real world work experience that you should be able to talk about what you’ve learned as working as a team member, dealing with difficult clients etc. Agree that if you’ve got a boss that can write a strong letter that is a good thing

Vet schools look for very different things in the application process. What is your instate school? Your GPA and GRE are very strong so I’d recommend looking at schools that heavily weigh those factors.
Taking your science pre-req’s at community college should be fine for most schools. But always check with each school. Can’t recall which school requires certain classes to be taken at a 4 year institution, but there’s at least one school that does.

Best of luck to you!!!! You have strong stats. I’d focus on maximizing what you’ve already done and getting a few more vet hours in different areas over starting a research project at this late date (assuming you’re applying next fall).