DO WAMC? Nontrad, 3.19 undergrad, 3.89 postbacc, 493 MCAT (March)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bfxa75

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nontrad student with an undergrad degree in Exercise Physiology, 4 years full-time experience in cardiac rehabilitation and stress testing at a trauma 2 hospital in metro Detroit. Finished my postbacc in December, studied for the MCAT for 3 months. I have little research experience, but extensive clinical experience, 1 year hospice volunteer experience, around 100 shadowing hours both in person and online (COVID times, still up in the air if it counts). I have a guaranteed interview at LECOM. Should I retake the MCAT and continue my application for this cycle? Do I have any shot at all this cycle with such a poor MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

With a 493, you do not have much of a chance at any DO school. Usually a score at that range suggests a content gap. You could try using different review books and should take the real test only when your practice scores are 500 or above.

What are your cGPA and sGPA including your postbacc ? You will need a MCAT of 498 in order to receive interviews at some DO schools, mainly the newer ones. Do not retake the MCAT until your practice scores are consistently over 500.