MD & DO WAMC, Nontrad URM from Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiouswhorge

Reaction score
Hi all!
Nontrad URM male here (immigrated from Mexico as a kid w/ the family) and Texas resident.
After my first degree I worked for a little over a year, ended up switching fields & enrolling in school to get a second bachelor's degree (listed here as postbacc).

512 MCAT (127/128/128/129)
I've included my gpa breakdown for AMCAS and for Texas

1,000+ hours shadowing
~170 non-clinical volunteering split mainly between two nonprofits (one focuses on immigrant families and their medical needs, other works with cancer patients)
~150 clinical volunteering (at a major urban hospital, unfortunately time was cut very short due to COVID)

Very limited research experience (~ 2 semesters)
Some decent leadership in student-run academic organizations

1626938933976.png

1626938847077.png

As is pretty evident I did better during my second degree (which is really not saying much), I'm just wondering how potential school adcoms might view/weigh the discrepancy in GPA between the two degrees (is preference given to the more recent outing or are the two viewed exactly the same?).

Is MD doable? (not dismissing DO at all)
How difficult would it be for me to do school outside of TX with my stats?

Any help with school lists would also be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to all your Texas MD and DO schools this month and submit all your secondaries by August. You should receive several interviews. For AMCAS MD schools you could try these:
TCU-UNT
Tulane
Creighton
Kaiser
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
Miami
George Washington
Georgetown