MD WAMC: Nontraditional applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enym

Reaction score
Hi all -

I was pre-vet in college, but had a traumatic experience in college that made me shy away from wanting to be on a college campus for four more years after undergrad. Since then, I've worked as a consultant at a company that designs learning/materials for (human) healthcare, among other things. I can elaborate more, but in short, as time has passed and I've put distance between myself and my college experiences, I've changed my original tune from wanting to go to vet school to an interest in human medicine. Since I'm a few years removed from college, I don't have a pre-health advisor to bounce anything off of, so I came here. What I'd like to know is what the biggest holes are in my application and how, if at all, I should frame my work experience. Here's me:

28 years old
BS in a hard science
Overall GPA ~3.7-8; sGPA ~3.4-3.5 (I had a ~3.8 in science classes my latter two years of college if that's an indication of trend)
Haven't taken MCAT yet

College highlights
  • Worked in a lab
  • Volunteer in the vet hospital
  • Worked at a vet clinic
  • Involved in a club sport
My work compromises a lot of the medical experience I've had, but not in a typical way (like being an EMT or something):
  • Most recently, I've managed the development of an app that seeks to teach chronically ill patients to self-manage their care. I've worked directly with a group of patients and healthcare providers to hold a design session to identify their challenges and desires both when it comes to the care and management of this disease as well as training challenges, then continued to work with a core group of patients to get feedback on and refine successive iterations. My experience included visiting treatment centers to observe patients receiving treatment and conduct interviews with them about their care and experience learning to manage their disease. I've also worked with a group of nurses to manage the development of a provider side of the app that includes resources and training materials for teaching patients.
  • Also recently I've worked with a group of physicians to create an app to teach other physicians about a public health issue (being a little intentionally vague here). This has been a year+ long project that again has involved a design phase to identify needs, managing the actual software development, personally writing the in-app content, and working to solicit collaboration with other medical groups. The lead physician is co-presenting this with me at a conference early next year.
  • On the research side, I've worked with several physicians on clinical trial development. This has been less hours than the other two as I was in a managerial role, though it did cement that research is not the place for me.
  • Countless more projects working to develop solutions for the launch of new biomedical devices, diagnostic tools, etc.
I also am an active volunteer with a local homeless shelter and an intermittent foster parent for the local humane society.

What would I need to do (besides take and do well on MCAT) to be a competitive applicant? I'm an Indiana resident, if that helps.

Members don't see this ad.

You should accumulate 50 hours of physician shadowing, including primary. Where you can apply to will depend on your MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should accumulate 50 hours of physician shadowing, including primary. Where you can apply to will depend on your MCAT score.

Thanks! Is depth better than breadth, or should I try to spread time across a few specialties?

Honestly, I'm happy-surprised that this is the only advice given. I wasn't sure how much work lies ahead before applying.

Thanks! Is depth better than breadth, or should I try to spread time across a few specialties?

Honestly, I'm happy-surprised that this is the only advice given. I wasn't sure how much work lies ahead before applying.

How many hours of non clinical volunteering do you have?

How many hours of non clinical volunteering do you have?

Going back how far? Including college, a couple hundred. As an adult it's more sparse - I take on fosters when I can. My volunteering for the homeless shelter consists of facilitating game sessions and debrief discussions that simulate trying to get out of homelessness vs having a weekly shift. I've been doing it consistently over a period of 4 years for a total of maybe 100 hours? It has been hard for me to find a more regular volunteering gig; I work/travel for work a ton.

Primary care and other specialties would be ideal.

Reactions: 1 user
Going back how far? Including college, a couple hundred. As an adult it's more sparse - I take on fosters when I can. My volunteering for the homeless shelter consists of facilitating game sessions and debrief discussions that simulate trying to get out of homelessness vs having a weekly shift. I've been doing it consistently over a period of 4 years for a total of maybe 100 hours? It has been hard for me to find a more regular volunteering gig; I work/travel for work a ton.

In college, how many hours of nonclinical volunteering with the underprivileged have you had?

The average for applicants is around 150 hours of this specific kind of volunteering.

Have you had any publications related to your research?