MD & DO WAMC: NY resident, 3.76 510

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darven

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: cGPA – 3.76, sGPA – 3.68
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown – 510 128/127/126/129
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US) – New York
  4. Ethnicity and/or race - Asian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category – Private Instate
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer) – ~1250 hours volunteering at a private clinic, Primary caretaker (unsure if this counts)
  7. Research experience and productivity - ~250 hours, 1 poster presentation
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented – primary care and transplant
  9. Non-clinical volunteering – 200 hours local place of worship
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc) - Chair of fraternity, member of IM Basketball team, Biology TA 45 hours, cookie cutter ECs (typical premed clubs)
  11. Relevant honors or awards – 1 award for engineering during my freshman year (decided to switch to fully premed afterwards) and dean’s list during my undergraduate years full time
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important – I previously applied during the 2020 cycle and did not receive any interview invites (Only MD, at the time did not really understand DO as much and was unsure about it now that I learned more about DO I feel more comfortable applying for it). I had planned on expanding my clinical and non-clinical experience, however, due to a close family member’s crippling illness I was unable to do as much as I would like. So, during my gap year I mainly took care of said family member and began non-clinical volunteering. My MCAT score is now expiring (this upcoming cycle), so I was wondering if it would be worth retaking or just applying this cycle to primarily DO and hoping to get in. Thank you all for the advice in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You are competitive for all DO schools and could receive MD interviews also.
I suggest these DO schools:
Touro-NY
LECOM (all schools)
NYITCOM
PCOM
CUSOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
For MD schools I suggest these:
All 4 SUNYs
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you Faha! I guess my follow up question for anyone else reading this would be how would you phrase being a primary caretaker, always get really conflicting answers.

Thanks in advance! for any help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Faha! I guess my follow up question for anyone else reading this would be how would you phrase being a primary caretaker, always get really conflicting answers.

Thanks in advance! for any help!
Who was the person?
Was it a paid job through an agency?

It was my mother, It was registered with an insurance company, however, it was uncompensated.

Ok thank you! That's kind of what I understood from the previous forms but just wanted to be sure.
Thanks again for the clarification!