WAMC - OOS Davis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omgitsallyd

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm applying this cycle to attend in the Fall of 2020. I am a Connecticut resident (no IS school) undergrad at University of Miami (FL). My dream school is UC Davis, but am also applying to UPenn, Ohio State, CSU and Texas A&M. I still have Biochem, Genetics, and Microbio to take.. all of which will be completed in or by Spring 2020.

I feel as though my GPA and GRE are strong (GRE verbal though?? what do I do?? lol I cannot do vocabulary) My main concern with my application (other than potential Verb GRE score) is that I have tons of SA hours and experience (have been working with a clinic for 6 years now -- 1500 hr), however, am incredibly interested in Equine medicine (maybe radiology) but have about half of the hours (around 700 hr) with an Equine vet specializing in lameness. I am not really sure how this will look because I am currently still working with the SA vet but not the Equine vet (he is stationed about 2 hours away from me and with online classes I do not have the time to travel to him this summer).

GPAs: 4.0

GRE Scores: V:156, Q:168, Writing: 4.5

Experience:
-1492 hours SA clinic (began as volunteer, then shadowed a vet, recently hired as an assistant)
-712 hours shadowing equine vet specializing in lameness
-180 hours research on the effects of local fauna extract on mobility of vertebrates and invertebrates with U Miami Professor
-14728 hours animal experience... Competitive equestrian my entire life (trained and showed countless horses)
-Other awards, deans list, and clubs like pre vet society, sorority, Investment club, Latin award etc..

Letters of Recommendation:
-SA Vet I shadowed and have worked with for 6 years
-Equine Vet I shadowed
-Organic Chemistry Professor

Personal Info.:

I want to be an Equine veterinarian possibly specializing in radiology. I have spent my entire life around horses, and am 100% sure that it is the only section of vet med I want to go in to. I am not a particularly diverse applicant other than I am a minor in Classics (latin and greek stuff), not sure if that is going to hurt me in any way...? I would love any recommendations on how to improve my application or concerns you may have and stats from past accepted OOS students accepted to Davis or ^^^ (the schools above). Thank you all so much! :)

Members don't see this ad.

You should get an interview at Davis, I think. After that, it all comes down to the interview iirc. So that really depends on your interviewing skills, which we can't really address online lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I'm applying this cycle to attend in the Fall of 2020. I am a Connecticut resident (no IS school) undergrad at University of Miami (FL). My dream school is UC Davis, but am also applying to UPenn, Ohio State, CSU and Texas A&M. I still have Biochem, Genetics, and Microbio to take.. all of which will be completed in or by Spring 2020.

I feel as though my GPA and GRE are strong (GRE verbal though?? what do I do?? lol I cannot do vocabulary) My main concern with my application (other than potential Verb GRE score) is that I have tons of SA hours and experience (have been working with a clinic for 6 years now -- 1500 hr), however, am incredibly interested in Equine medicine (maybe radiology) but have about half of the hours (around 700 hr) with an Equine vet specializing in lameness. I am not really sure how this will look because I am currently still working with the SA vet but not the Equine vet (he is stationed about 2 hours away from me and with online classes I do not have the time to travel to him this summer).

GPAs: 4.0

GRE Scores: V:156, Q:168, Writing: 4.5

Experience:
-1492 hours SA clinic (began as volunteer, then shadowed a vet, recently hired as an assistant)
-712 hours shadowing equine vet specializing in lameness
-180 hours research on the effects of local fauna extract on mobility of vertebrates and invertebrates with U Miami Professor
-14728 hours animal experience... Competitive equestrian my entire life (trained and showed countless horses)
-Other awards, deans list, and clubs like pre vet society, sorority, Investment club, Latin award etc..

Letters of Recommendation:
-SA Vet I shadowed and have worked with for 6 years
-Equine Vet I shadowed
-Organic Chemistry Professor

Personal Info.:

I want to be an Equine veterinarian possibly specializing in radiology. I have spent my entire life around horses, and am 100% sure that it is the only section of vet med I want to go in to. I am not a particularly diverse applicant other than I am a minor in Classics (latin and greek stuff), not sure if that is going to hurt me in any way...? I would love any recommendations on how to improve my application or concerns you may have and stats from past accepted OOS students accepted to Davis or ^^^ (the schools above). Thank you all so much! :)
Hi there! I'm the resident OOS accepted at Davis person, thanks for the tag Ski. I agree with Ziggy, you will absolutely get an interview at Davis and that's all that is considered when they're picking the class. So practice your MMI skills and try not to psych yourself out. I'll see you in the winter for interviews :)

Let me know if you have any questions about the school or life here.

Hi there! I'm the resident OOS accepted at Davis person, thanks for the tag Ski. I agree with Ziggy, you will absolutely get an interview at Davis and that's all that is considered when they're picking the class. So practice your MMI skills and try not to psych yourself out. I'll see you in the winter for interviews :)

Let me know if you have any questions about the school or life here.

Hello! Thank you so much for the advice and encouragement — your response makes me incredibly excited! I will definitely reach out to you with questions as the fall approaches. Thank you again :)