WAMC Oregon reapplicant with limited school list due to Old MCAT, Decent MCAT and and GPA unsure ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SerOwlsten

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there! So as the title says I am a reapplicant from 2018-2019. I believe I had a really top heavy list last time, ehh personal statement, fumbled interview day at certain points and concerned my ECs were not strong. Had only 1 late II from Oregon Health Sciences University (OHSU) and was waitlisted without acceptance. My MCAT now is from May 2017. I took it too soon as I did not intend to apply for that cycle. So some schools will not accept my MCAT and as you might have guessed I do not want to and cannot even easily take it again. I will have a list of schools that will still accept attached.

1. cGPA: 3.76 sGPA: 3.79, upward trend just weak freshman year
  2. MCAT score: 517
  3. State: OR, have ties to CA
  4. I marked white last time, I am passing for white, especially in Oregon, but my mom's side of the family is latino, my dad is Italian.
  5. Undergrad - Small liberal arts school, not super well known. graduated 2016
  6. Clinical experience: Medical scribe in ED for ~250 hrs, ophthalmology private practice for over 1000 hrs, 3 years of work at full time
  7. Research experience: undergraduate honors thesis: presented poster for undergrad, lab was trying to start publishing but it was brand new at my school, so no pubs
  8. Shadowing experience: This is my weak spot, maybe 5 hours of surgery shadowing. Tried to get PCP shadowing at the start of the year but then COVID kicked me out.
  9. ~ 100 hours of hospice companion volunteering, 100 hrs working with a non-profit for sex workers - lead position on a project
  10. Other extracurricular activities: 1 year NCAA mens swimming Division III, Lab TA for multiple classes, Peer tutoring - group and individual at my university
  11. Honors: Dean's list, cum laude, phi beta kappa
  12. Bouldering/rock climbing
Here is a list of schools that I have checked to ensure will accept my MCAT still and I think I might be remotely competitive for. I left out some of the big hitters like Stanfrod, Harvard, UPenn, Pitt, Yale, because I know my stats are not enough. I would like to narrow it down to ~20

OHSU
Albany
U of Arizona Pheonix
Brown
Uni at Buffalo
UC Riverside
UCSD
Case Western
Columbia
Duke
Emory
Einstein
Eastern Virginia
Hofstra
U Illinois
U of Iowa
U Massachusetts
Michigan State U
U minnesota
Ohio State
Penn State
Quinnipiac
U Rochester
St.Louis
Thomas Jefferson
Tufts
Rutgers (Newark)
U of Vermont
Virginia Tech
U of Wisconsin
Wayne State
Wake Forest

Members don't see this ad.

UCSD, UC Riverside, Rutgers, UMass, Minnesota, Virginia Tech accept few non residents with no connection to the state or region. You should receive several interviews from the other schools on your list. Do any of the newer schools accept a MCAT from 2017? If so add these:
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont

UCSD, UC Riverside, Rutgers, UMass, Minnesota, Virginia Tech accept few non residents with no connection to the state or region. You should receive several interviews from the other schools on your list. Do any of the newer schools accept a MCAT from 2017? If so add these:
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Thats super helpful thank you. I will check those out.
I have most of the state schools marked on my internal list as not friendly to OOS so thank you for confirming that. I have family in CA but its the bay area so SD and Riverside are basically in a different state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your scribing experience should be helpful, and you should check if your ED scribing can be a proxy for shadowing for many admissions offices.
Thank you! How would I check that, just email the schools?

Reactions: 1 user