WAMC – ORM with 527/3.7 GPA and Great ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thefloatingpanda

Reaction score
GPA
cGPA: 3.72
sGPA: 3.65

MCAT: 527 (132/131/132/132)
State: Pennsylvania
Race: Asian, Female
Undergrad: NY State School

Clinical Experience
Volunteer at University Hospital - 500 hours; works in palliative care unit and comforts patients

Research
1000 hours / 1 year & a half at the lab (My school schedule was light, so I was in the lab A LOT)
Independent project published in a high-impact journal (Nature)
Going to present at conferences next year

Shadowing
30 hours with a cardiologist
30 hours with a neurologist

Non-Clinical Volunteering
Food Pantry - 200 hours
Paper Airplanes Tutoring - 300 hours (private 1-on-1 English tutoring with those affected by the Syria conflict)

Extracurricular Activities
Teaching Assistant - TA’ed for 4 classes, 3 of which were science related. Currently a head TA for a science course.
Business - I own a 5 figure business that will hopefully be 6 figures by the time I apply, unrelated to medicine.
Club - Related to my business, currently serving as president this upcoming year. Heavily involved throughout college and previously served as a vice president and graphic designer

Relevant honors or awards
Dean’s List, graduating with honors in my major. Hopefully, will snag senior awards at the end of senior year.

Thank you so much to anyone who reads this. I am applying next cycle, so most of these are projected hours (except research). I would like to know my chances at T10 schools, especially NYC schools like Columbia, NYU, and Cornell. I'm very confident in my application except for my GPA, I think it's good, but not sure if it'll hold me back from T20 schools.

Members don't see this ad.

You are competitive for the NYC schools but should apply broadly. You should apply to Pittsburgh, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Geisinger and UPenn and add any OOS schools that appeal to you. Since you are interested in NYC also include Mount Sinai, Hofstra and Einstein.

Reactions: 1 users
You are competitive for the NYC schools but should apply broadly. You should apply to Pittsburgh, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Geisinger and UPenn and add any OOS schools that appeal to you. Since you are interested in NYC also include Mount Sinai, Hofstra and Einstein.
Her GPAs are low for top 20s but her MCAT is near perfect, her ECs are solid, and she may have a first-author Nature paper. Most students at Harvard Med do not have that kind of research. I think that makes her a rock star: she should aim high and apply to all the top 20s plus about eight midtiers and her state schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applicant looks very solid and should take a shot at selected top schools. I lean on Stanford because they rreward entrepreneurs (reputation for the university). How much networking has the OP done before applying?

Reactions: 1 users
Applicant looks very solid and should take a shot at selected top schools. I lean on Stanford because they rreward entrepreneurs (reputation for the university). How much networking has the OP done before applying?
Can you elaborate on networking?