WAMC Plz Advice 3.2 ogpa 3.1sgpa 24 AA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dgiaddui96

Reaction score
Please advice and give honest opinion based on my stats! I am trying to submit my application sometime by end of June for this cycle.

Overall GPA: 3.25
Science GPA: 3.1
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.08
DAT score (include AA and all sections):

1st Attempt: 17 AA
2nd Attempt: 24 AA
State of Residence: Pennsylvania

Undergrad Attended:
Temple University
Major: Cellular and Molecular Neuroscience (B.S)
Minor: Public Health
Minority? Yes (Libyan)
Reapplicant? Yes, I previously applied in 2018 but I had a low DAT and was not successful. Also, My science GPA was 2.95 and I was able to bring it up by last semester of college and by taking some upper level classes post bacc at a local CC including Anatomy I and II and Microbiology. overall my GPA had an upward trend last 2.5 years of college where I had A's and B's Mostly.

Nontrad? Yes, I graduated in December 2018, and took 2 years off where I did shadowing and research. Also, I took some upper level classes at a local CC to improve on my GPA which was 3.08 oGPA and 2.95 sGPA. I am planning to take 2 more classes this summer as well.

Shadowing Experience: 250 hours (general dentist about 150 hours and rest come from oral surgeon). Planning to continue shadowing for this coming year.
Volunteering Experience: 600 hours (non profit organizations, community service at a local hospital, school and dental events)
Employment:
660 hours from teaching Arabic to kids at a Sunday School
480 hours as a research assistant for an internship
300 tutoring (pre-calculus, calculus and gen chem)

Research: 3700 hours -- I worked as in intern for a lab all of last year and did research while I was in college. I have a first author publication that was just published a few weeks ago and my name appeared on other publications that I helped with while doing research last year.

Other Extracurriculars: Vice president for a club at my school, secretary for another and I am board member for a nonprofit organization aiming to help community and host community service events for underserved populations.

Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List for 3 semesters and graduated with distinction in major.
LOR type and strength: so far i have 3 strong LOR from 1 biology professor that I had A's in both of her classes, 2 faculty I did research with last year at Temple University Medical School, and possibly another from either a dentist or the chair of a non-profit organization.

School list: NYU, Temple, UPenn, Rutgers, Pitt, Boston, Tufts, (trying to add more but I really want to stay local !!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Good job with your AA. What's the rest of your DAT breakdown? Were your CC classes appropriate for science majors or nursing/allied health majors? That GPA is still in a danger zone so you may want to think about going into an SMP.

Good job with your AA. What's the rest of your DAT breakdown? Were your CC classes appropriate for science majors or nursing/allied health majors? That GPA is still in a danger zone so you may want to think about going into an SMP.

The rest of my DAT breakdown is : PAT 22/QR 26 / RC 23 / BIO 24 / GC 24 / OC 22 AA 24 and TS 24
The CC classes I took were offered for pre-health science majors and dental hygiene programs. To be honest I was thinking about an SMP but most programs are expensive and I might not be able to afford it. I am thinking to take more science courses at CC if that will help increase my GPA.
DO you think that I might have any shot at any of the schools I listed given my DAT score and my EC with my GPA. I know I have a low GPA compared to others but I think the other components of my application are strong? what do you think?