wamc: poor mcat mediocre everything else

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plzaccept123

Reaction score
So my MCAT is terrible, but I am hoping to maybe get in somewhere. I am guessing it will need to be DO but if you can think of any MD schools I could get in to I would definitely apply there. I've taken MCAT twice and gotten 495 twice so retaking isn't really going to help. Trying to decide if I should just give up on med school all together.
  1. cGPA: 3.49, sGPA 3.6, upward trend
  2. mcat: 495
  3. Missouri resident
  4. caucasian female, disadvantage status though
  5. attended smaller university, graduated in 2018
  6. Worked three years in a large hospital pathology lab, scribe for a few months now.
  7. Currently doing research at a top tier university for over a year now, two publications, one high impact journal, one midlevel. 4 years of research during undergrad
  8. Shadowed in obstetrics, sports medicine, orthopedics, infectious disease, lab medicine.
  9. 3 sport NCAA athlete for 4 years, ranked 99th in the nation senior year

Members don't see this ad.

So my MCAT is terrible, but I am hoping to maybe get in somewhere. I am guessing it will need to be DO but if you can think of any MD schools I could get in to I would definitely apply there. I've taken MCAT twice and gotten 495 twice so retaking isn't really going to help. Trying to decide if I should just give up on med school all together.
  1. cGPA: 3.49, sGPA 3.6, upward trend
  2. mcat: 495
  3. Missouri resident
  4. caucasian female, disadvantage status though
  5. attended smaller university, graduated in 2018
  6. Worked three years in a large hospital pathology lab, scribe for a few months now.
  7. Currently doing research at a top tier university for over a year now, two publications, one high impact journal, one midlevel. 4 years of research during undergrad
  8. Shadowed in obstetrics, sports medicine, orthopedics, infectious disease, lab medicine.
  9. 3 sport NCAA athlete for 4 years, ranked 99th in the nation senior year
Your MCAT seems to be the only thing that is holding you back. It is not good for MD or DO. Maybe low-end Podiatry.

If you genuinely want a shot, drop the research and focus exclusively on the MCAT. No one cares about all of your publications and prestige if you can't even make the 50th% on the MCAT.

Edit: Also noticed no volunteering listed.

Any nonclinical volunteering? That means service to the unserved, underserved in your community.
IMO your 2 MCAT scores of 495 puts you out of the running for MD. Those are really low scores. Your GPAs are okay for DO but I’m not sure how your MCATS will impact your chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any nonclinical volunteering? That means service to the unserved, underserved in your community.
IMO your 2 MCAT scores of 495 puts you out of the running for MD. Those are really low scores. Your GPAs are okay for DO but I’m not sure how your MCATS will impact your chances.
Yeah I volunteered at a womens shelter, but only 50 hours so I'm worried that isn't enough to make an impact.

Your MCAT seems to be the only thing that is holding you back. It is not good for MD or DO. Maybe low-end Podiatry.

If you genuinely want a shot, drop the research and focus exclusively on the MCAT. No one cares about all of your publications and prestige if you can't even make the 50th% on the MCAT.

Edit: Also noticed no volunteering listed.
Can't drop the research because it is my full time job and I need money to survive.
Sorry Volunteered at a women's shelter 50 hours and 300 hours at a childrens hospital.

Can't drop the research because it is my full time job and I need money to survive.
Sorry Volunteered at a women's shelter 50 hours and 300 hours at a childrens hospital.
Something needs to change. It is your MCAT. The volunteering is low, but that is easy to fix. 495 as an ORM is a death nail. 495 as a URM, veteran, emt/firefighter, PhD....would still be a no go.

Reactions: 1 user
You could receive interviews at some DO schools but you will need to apply broadly to many schools. I suggest all these:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
BCOM
ICOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)
CHSU-COM (new school)
Sam Houston State (new school)
There may be a new school opening in Minnesota also.
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you could receive interviews based on your good GPA.
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Reactions: 1 users
You could receive interviews at some DO schools but you will need to apply broadly to many schools. I suggest all these:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
BCOM
ICOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)
CHSU-COM (new school)
Sam Houston State (new school)
There may be a new school opening in Minnesota also.
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you could receive interviews based on your good GPA.
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.
Thank you so much!