WAMC: Possible Reapplicant, 3.83/519, Need School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1093894

Hi! I am currently applying to MD programs during the 2020-2021 cycle, but am needing to think about possibly reapplying in the next cycle. I’ve received 2 interview invites, one of which turned into a waitlist and the other I have yet to hear from. During my gap year, I have been working full time as a medical assistant with an underserved, mostly uninsured population. I’ll have accrued about 1500 hours by the time I’d be reapplying. I’m wondering if my lack of success during this cycle is due to my school list, so I’d love any advice for how to build a new school list for the upcoming cycle. I already posted in a reapplicant thread (sorry for the redundancy!) but I thought maybe I could get more school list help here. Thanks in advance :)

cGPA: 3.83
sGPA: 3.75
MCAT score: 519 (131/128/130/130)
State of residence: CA
Ethnicity/race: ORM
Undergrad: A top UC
Clinical experience: 150 hours volunteering with underserved, but will also have ~1500 hours of paid clinical experience for this next cycle
Research experience: 700 hours clinical, no pubs or posters
Shadowing experience: 360 hours in multiple specialties in clinic and OR
Non-clinical volunteering: 250 hours with underserved
Leadership experience: had leadership positions in clinical and non-clinical volunteer groups, as well as roughly 170 hours of leadership for a different student organization not listed elsewhere
Other extracurriculars: 70 hours mentoring kids, 160 hours music extracurriculars, 90 hours non-clinical paid employment on campus
Relevant honors or awards: deans list lol? nothing really
LORs: 2 professors (one science and one a humanities course), 1 TA (for a science course, co-signed by professor; not ideal to have a TA, but my school was huge and had really large classes), 1 research advisor, 1 advisor for clinical volunteering, 1 physician who I had shadowed and done some research with

This cycle, I applied early (submit primary June 2, completed all secondaries July-August) so I don't think timeline was an issue.

School list (too top heavy, I know rip):
NYU, Yale, UPenn, UChicago, Columbia, Harvard, Northwestern, Mayo Clinic, Cornell, Stanford, Mount Sinai, Duke, UCSF, Pittsburgh, BU, Michigan, UCLA, UCSD, USC, Kaiser, Irvine, Brown, Rochester, Dartmouth, Emory, Albert Einstein, UMass, Tufts, Georgetown, George Washington, NYMC, OHSU, UC Davis, Albany

At the time, my school pre-health advisor had told me that my school list was fine, but looking at it now I definitely feel like I applied to too many top tier schools. Anyone have any advice? With my 1500 hours of clinical employment and a new school list, do you think I can reapply with success? I’d like to pursue primary care/community medicine, so any advice on schools to apply to that are more aligned with those goals are much appreciated. Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah damn I don’t think your list is too top heavy for your application. Where did you get your 2 interviews? Hopefully one of them turns into an acceptance soon!

With regards to reapplication, I think just apply more broadly and make sure to vet your writing. The new clinical experience is a great addition.