WAMC/Post-Baccalaureate Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mytoothbetold

Tooth Be Told
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Date of submission: November 5th-19th, 2023
Overall GPA: 3.49
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score:
Ik they suckšŸ˜© I had a VERY rough patch in my personal life, was assisting full-time, and had taken biology several years prior, so that didn't help either. It's no excuse, but just painting the full picture.
PAT: 15 // 15 // 17
QR: 17 // 18 // 16
RC: 24 // 21 // 21
Bio: 12 // 14 // 18
GC: 16 // 15 // 17
OC: 13 // 13 // 14
TS: 14 // 14 // 17
AA: 16 // 16 // 17

Undergrad Attended: Florida SouthWestern State College C/O 2019 (Got my AA in high school) and Florida Gulf Coast University (C/O 2021)
Major: Integrated Studies (was BA Biology up until last semester)
Minor: Entrepreneurship
Minority? Yes/Black (first-gen)
Reapplicant? Yes, 2nd cycle
Nontrad? No, technically took a gap year from 2022-2023 working full-time as a dental assistant)

Shadowing Experience: 100+ at dental assisting clinicals (endo/ortho office)
Volunteering Experience: 320+ as a dental assistant at a non-profit clinic, 300+ hours at my church in various leadership positions
Employment: 2000+ hours as an Expanded Functions Dental Assistant since 2019 (certified in high school)
Research: None, just research projects in class
Other Extracurriculars: dental mentorship program w/celebrity dentist, part of Trio SSS program for first-gen students, Pre-Dental Society, Chi Alpha Campus Ministries small group leader/treasurer
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List 2020, Exclusive full-ride scholarship, Graduate of Distinction
LOR type and strength: Science professor/Pre-health advisor (average) and Dentist I volunteered with (strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
Took OC 3 times (W 1st time, D 2nd time/got grade forgiveness, B 3rd time). 4.0 GPA in dental assisting program.

School list:

LECOM
NYU
Lincoln Memorial University (interviewed)
Meharry
NSU (denied)
Alabama (denied)
Howard (denied)
Texas A&M (denied)
MUSC (denied)

I am making my plan b now (i.e. post-bacc or possibly a dental hygiene program), considering how this cycle is going for me. I didn't want to get a master's because I know I plan on specializing and will need a master's to do ortho. Plus I graduated debt-free and want to have as little debt as possible. Any advice on programs or thoughts on completing a dental hygiene program?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Science GPA: 3.13
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.04
DAT score: Ik they suckšŸ˜© I had a VERY rough patch in my personal life, was assisting full-time, and had taken biology several years prior, so that didn't help either. It's no excuse, but just painting the full picture.

Undergrad Attended: Florida SouthWestern State College C/O 2019 (Got my AA in high school) and Florida Gulf Coast University (C/O 2021)
Nontrad? No, technically took a gap year from 2022-2023 working full-time as a dental assistant)

Volunteering Experience: 320+ as a dental assistant at a non-profit clinic, 300+ hours at my church in various leadership positions
Employment: 2000+ hours as an Expanded Functions Dental Assistant since 2019 (certified in high school)
Other Extracurriculars: dental mentorship program w/celebrity dentist, part of Trio SSS program for first-gen students, Pre-Dental Society, Chi Alpha Campus Ministries small group leader/treasurer
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List 2020, Exclusive full-ride scholarship, Graduate of Distinction
LOR type and strength: Science professor/Pre-health advisor (average) and Dentist I volunteered with (strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Took OC 3 times (W 1st time, D 2nd time/got grade forgiveness, B 3rd time). 4.0 GPA in dental assisting program.

School list:
LECOM
NYU
Meharry
NSU (denied)
Alabama (denied)
Howard (denied)
Texas A&M (denied)
MUSC (denied)

I am making my plan b now (i.e. post-bacc or possibly a dental hygiene program), considering how this cycle is going for me. I didn't want to get a master's because I know I plan on specializing and will need a master's to do ortho. Plus I graduated debt-free and want to have as little debt as possible. Any advice on programs or thoughts on completing a dental hygiene program?
in a month or so, contact the programs you applied to and ask their opinion...

It's hard to say, but my guess is the well-below-average DAT and below-average GPA probably got you screened out by some schools. Not applying to more schools probably also hurt your chances. I agree with @macsak and you should reach out to schools and see if they can provide any feedback for you to improve upon. But the ideal scenario would be to take a post-bacc and really do well in those courses, try to find linkage programs if possible, and if you can, try to petition to retake the DAT for the 4th time if able, you can definitely boost score if you sit down for 1-2 months and really hammer down the material. I know they have a 3x limit but I've seen folks with 4. It's worth a shot if this is your dream. Though if you're setting sail, dental hygiene is a great field and pays well while also being in school for much less.

Ortho is extremely competitive... and very expensive for some programs. You'll get an MS from some ortho programs, were you thinking of doing an MPH while also in dental school? (any clarification?)

Members don't see this ad :)
Science GPA: 3.13
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.04
DAT score: Ik they suckšŸ˜© I had a VERY rough patch in my personal life, was assisting full-time, and had taken biology several years prior, so that didn't help either. It's no excuse, but just painting the full picture.

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Took OC 3 times (W 1st time, D 2nd time/got grade forgiveness, B 3rd time). 4.0 GPA in dental assisting program.

School list:
LECOM
NYU
Meharry
NSU (denied)
Alabama (denied)
Howard (denied)
Texas A&M (denied)
MUSC (denied)

Are you saying you took the DAT three times?

Edit: Hygiene may allow you some breathing room until you decide to go back. I know in my area the programs are not super expensive, and it would allow you to work until you feel ready to tackle everything again.

My main concern is the DAT. There should have been improvement, but seems like there was a lot of regression. If you have to take it again, you need a really good plan regardless of what is going on in life. As someone who struggled with orgo, I promise you can get a decent score on that section. Same with QR. There are techniques to improve those scores, and they can bolster your app alot, along with another solid RC section. Chad's videos for orgo and then DAT bootcamp got me over the hump.

Since you have very low debt, it may be best to bite the bullet at this point because what you have done before has not worked. Don't rush into another application either. If you want to be a dentist, then prepare to do what's needed to prove you can handle the courseload. If you can prove to them that you have worked hard to improve your science knowledge, study habits, and have the material to excel on the test an admissions office can vouch for you to take it that fourth time. I have no doubt you can do this, but don't expect anything to be easy going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Take a break. You are already doing a lot as an EFDA. I would consider DH training, but you already have a lot of solid dental experience and training.

The issue is definitely academics (DAT OC 14), and I would use connections with your dentist to find mentors involved with NDA locally (not sure if your mentors were affiliated this way). Take your time and find out your options to keep your debt low until necessary. Your team needs to help you with your next step and long term plan.

Thank you so much all for your advice and your kindness! Really means a lot.šŸ„ŗ Surprisingly enough, I just heard back from a school yesterday (Lincoln Memorial) and got accepted! Though it is a brand new school and it's frowned upon, it is likely going to be my only chance so I am going to take it and run with it! I'll have to work twice as hard to ensure I do well and get the competitive stats I'll need for ortho. Thank you all again <3

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much all for your advice and your kindness! Really means a lot.šŸ„ŗ Surprisingly enough, I just heard back from a school yesterday (Lincoln Memorial) and got accepted! Though it is a brand new school and it's frowned upon, it is likely going to be my only chance so I am going to take it and run with it! I'll have to work twice as hard to ensure I do well and get the competitive stats I'll need for ortho. Thank you all again <3
Congrats on the acceptance! Yes itā€™s a new school and has its risks, but work hard, take as little loans as you can, and it will pay off in the end. Congratulations!