WAMC: pre-dec waitlist, what should I plan on next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

modernfam

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's still early and I want to trust the process, but I can't help but think of other options in case I don't find out by summer. I was wondering if I for some reason didn't get in this cycle if I should go ahead and do an online master's and then apply or start a master's program while applying for next cycle? I'm not too sure how that whole process would work since I wasn't planning for this option. Or is there anything I need to change? Let me know what you think.

Date of submission: 7/28
Overall GPA: 3.51
Science GPA: 3.29
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.28
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 19AA, 19 Bio, 19 GC, 20 Orgo, 19 PAT, 16 QR, 19 RC (This was my retake, my last score was 17AA) (*Took DAT 2x, 1st: 17AA, 18 TS)
State of Residence:
FL

Undergrad Attended: FGCU
Major: Biology with Pre-Professional/Pre-Dental Concentration
Minority? No- Asian
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes; currently in my gap year. Graduated back in dec. 2020

Shadowing Experience: 210 split between 3 General Dentists, 200 Pediatrics
Volunteering Experience: Different clubs/organizations/hospitals (250+)
Employment: Child Care Assistant (384 hrs), Tutor (160 hrs), Dental Sterile Tech (1280 hours atm' originally shadowed pediatric dentist and they offered me a position)
Research: Cancer Biology Research associated with breast cancer cells (360 hrs), participated in a fellowship which resulted in a university showcase presentation and Florida state conference. No publications.
Other Extracurriculars: President of Cancer Research Program (100+ hrs), VP of Asian American Student Union, LIONS Club (30+ hrs)
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List, Research Fellow
LOR type and strength: Cell Bio Professor (strong), Physiology Professor/Head of Bio Department (strong), Pediatric Dentist (strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I had a slip up in grades my freshman year and it brought my gpa from a 3.6 to a 3.5. I've been able to stabilize my gpa but there isn't a crazy upward trend. It would depend, some semesters were 3.7's and others were 3.3's etc. Plus I know my QR is lower but I thought it was better than getting a 16 in Bio.

School list:
UF
Nova (Waitlist)
LECOM
Marquette (received a letter from them that I'll still be in consideration for this cycle since they already sent their rejections, waitlists, etc)
Temple
UPitt
Midwestern-IL (Waitlist)
OSU
Case Western

Members don't see this ad.

On the metrics side of things your DAT is okay but nothing that adds to the GPA you are carrying in. You probably can be okay with undergrad postbac rather than a SMP. Don't take a regular research-based masters nor a MPH.

Nova and LECOM I thought had a lot of seats so let's see what happens after December 1 offer deadlines pass.