na

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eldopa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
na

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The thread title states ORM, but the thread body states you're White/Caucasian. Which is it?

I see this pattern quite a bit in reapplicants: good metrics, heavy research, light service, suboptimal school list. You don't have the application for Stanford/Columbia, and lower tier, service-oriented schools won't be interested, so you really box yourself in. And being a CA resident brings its own sort of pain.

I call your service "light" because only two the volunteer activities listed above really qualify: after-school tutoring and crisis text line. Starting a club, being a chair, and serving on a board are all very nice, but they come off as more administrative than hands-on. And hands-on is what you need.

Obviously I haven't seen your full app, but between your parent situation and your gap2 job, it would be fairly easy to make your app thematically coherent around mental health. Rack up some classic soup kitchen/homeless shelter volunteer hours, cozy up with the MSAR, and your next cycle may be better.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you believe I have improved my application/experiences enough to reapply so soon?​
What schools do you recommend I apply to?​
You received two late interview invites, but you would be better served with a full year of clinical experience since projected hours do not count. They now must be clearly shown separately on AMCAS instead of being in 1 full date range that mixes completed and anticipated hours. Your non-clinical is still weak as Med Ed pointed out.

It is good you didn't complete those secondaries. Many of them are for state schools that would not consider somebody who has never stepped foot before there (as you had mentioned while reflecting back). UCR is meant for applicants from the IE region.

If you want to try to immediately reapply, I suggest:
UCI
UCD
CUSM
UCR (only if from the IE)
Loma Linda (only if you match the religious beliefs)
Dartmouth
Colorado
Tufts
NYMC
Albany
Penn State
UW (they likely want to see primary care shadowing too though)
Rosalind Franklin
Wake
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Einstein
Rochester
Vermont
Western Michigan
Nova MD
Belmont (when it opens)

For DO:
Western
Touro CA
Touro NV
PCOM
KCU
Marian
DMU

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The thread title states ORM, but the thread body states you're White/Caucasian. Which is it?

I see this pattern quite a bit in reapplicants: good metrics, heavy research, light service, suboptimal school list. You don't have the application for Stanford/Columbia, and lower tier, service-oriented schools won't be interested, so you really box yourself in. And being a CA resident brings its own sort of pain.

I call your service "light" because only two the volunteer activities listed above really qualify: after-school tutoring and crisis text line. Starting a club, being a chair, and serving on a board are all very nice, but they come off as more administrative than hands-on. And hands-on is what you need.

Obviously I haven't seen your full app, but between your parent situation and your gap2 job, it would be fairly easy to make your app thematically coherent around mental health. Rack up some classic soup kitchen/homeless shelter volunteer hours, cozy up with the MSAR, and your next cycle may be better.
Thanks for the input, I was afraid of that but I'm glad you confirmed. And I assumed white/caucasian was over represented in medicine

Your service orientation competency is very low. We have pointed out the issues with your listed volunteering activities. Many of them are leadership in clubs. Text line is okay but not hands-on enough. County work can be leadership or civic volunteering.

Your tutoring with Boys and Girls Club could be volunteering, but can be reclassified internally as "teaching/tutoring" anyway. Was there more you did with BGC?

Activities that best reveal service orientation include food distribution, shelter work, job placement services, transportation services (not clinical), and housing rehabilitation.

Reactions: 1 users