WAMC Reapplicant 513 MCAT, 3.56 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed-1326

Reaction score
Hello,

I am planning to reapply for the 2020 Med school cycle. Last cycle I applied to 17 MD programs and I got one II that resulted in a waitlist then rejection. I am trying to make a better list of schools to apply to this year and would like advice on improving my chances for getting in. I am also open to applying DO, but prefer MD suggestions.

MN resident, white female, born in Eastern Europe and bilingual

513 MCAT: 126/131/127/129
(this was take #2, first one was 503)

3.56 cGPA, 3.38 sGPA

EC: (I have marked the ones that are new since 1st application as NEW, not including the update)

2000 hours over 2 years of scribing in ER, 1 year full time and will continue to do this while applying NEW-ish

2000 hours work study job 3.5 years in university library

320 hours cell research with poster presentation (through a NIH funded fellowship) NEW

300 hours Head of Public relations in surgical interest group at my university, on board for 2 years, author on publication about the group.

150 hours clinical research with 2nd author publication

112 hours volunteering in hospital over 2 years

100 hours international genetic engineering competition team, on the board, gave our presentation at competition (with 5 others)

64 hours Personal Care Assistant with PCA certification NEW

40 Shadowing hours outside of ER

25 hours volunteering in public elementary schools doing vision screenings for underprivileged kids NEW

Especially looking for feedback from @Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM and @Faha

Members don't see this ad.

SGPA is close to lethal for MD

Invest in MSAR and target MD schools whose median MCAT score is closest to 510, and where their 10th %ile GPA is below 3.4.

Pay VERY Careful attention to the IS/OOS apps ratios.

Your state school needs to be at the top of your list.

And also apply broadly to DO.

You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to at least 6 and you should receive several interviews. For MD schools I suggest these:
Your Minnesota state public schools
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Loyola
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
St. Louis
Creighton
NOVA MD
TCU-UNTHSC (new school)
Georgetown