WAMC- reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennisgurl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering if you anyone could give me advice. So currently, I applied this previous cycle and got one interview and got on the waitlist. I am still waiting for the waitlist, but I am planning to reapply. I applied to about 20 schools:

Albany

cooper rowan

drexel

EVMS

Georgetown

GW

Hofstra

Temple

Loyola

MSU

NYMC

Northeast Ohio

Oakland Beaumont

Quinnipiac

UVT

Tulane

USC- greenville and

VCU

Virginia Tech

Wright state

I am waitlisted at EVMS currently.
I have three MCAT scores- old Mcat 20, 499 and 505. 505 is my most recent score.
GPA: 3.65
sGPA: 3.48
Biology and History major

Extracurriculars:
Research publication from undergrad and 1000 hours
Helped with exhibit at Smithsonian that is now open for two years- exhibit from History of medicine and science
Volunteer with children with intellectual disabilities- 100 hours
volunteer at Georgetown Hospital- +100 hours
At undergrad, Relay for Life events committee member
Scribe- 100 hours
honors college in undergrad

New things on app
- exhibit is open- was on application previously but not
- medical assistant- +1000 hours
- publication was not accepted til after i sent in my primary

So, I know my MCAT is low and i have a couple retakes. I discussed with the admissions member at my state schools and they said I could take the MCAT again if I want to because i have improved significantly each time and they care most about improvement and increase in score and not really the times you take it.

I just was wondering what you thought in terms of reapplying again and taking the MCAT this upcoming summer. Also, if my app has enough new things for schools to see? I don't really know what to do so if you have any advice that would be great. Furthermore, I applied to post bac programs and got accepted, but was told my gpa didn't need it. Of course I will be applying to DO schools this cycle. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest you also apply to DO schools this coming cycle. You may need a DO LOR for some schools. Consider all these schools:
UP-KYCOM
LMU-DCOM
WVSOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
PCOM (both schools)
ACOM
For MD schools consider all these:
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Tech
Virginia Commonwealth
GW
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
any new schools that may open for 2018 (Henricopolis, Seton Hall, Roseman).
Retaking the MCAT may help you if you score over 508. However, many MD schools average scores. A retake is not needed for DO schools since your recent 505 is competitive for most DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have advice about if it would be worth it for me to retake the MCAT?

or if i should do other things to improve my application?

i would definitely not retake a 505 if you don't think you can improve by at least 6 points.

Would taking the test August/September not be worth it for this application cycle?

I only am planning to retake if i can score a 510+, but am not sure if at that point most schools would have already reviewed my app with my score. Most schools I talked to told me that I am already above their minimum so I am unsure how a new MCAT score would be considered.