WAMC/Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cavalier95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently waitlisted at EVMS, top third, but I want to be prepared going into this next cycle . I think I have strengthened my application since the last time I applied but wanted to get new opinions on it.

My cGPA is 3.56 and sGPA is 3.59. Both with an upward trend.

I, unfortunately, had to take the MCAT three times:
Try 1: 500 (126/125/124/125) - August, 2016
Try 2: 502 (125/125/126/126) - April, 2017
Try 3: 510 (127/127/126/130) - June, 2017

I am asian and a Va resident. Went to UVa, graduated in 2017.

Clinical Experience- This is where I was clearly the weakest applying last cycle, and I hope that I have done enough to improve my chances..
(New Activity for this cycle) - Volunteer at Free Clinic, checking patients in and sometimes helping take basic measurements such as height/weight/BP/etc. (70 hours)
(New) - Volunteer w/ Hospice care - I basically just sit with hospice patients and talk to them, help them get around the facility and make them comfortable. I hope this counts as clinical, but I'm not sure (80 hours)
(New) I am also going to be a counselor at a 24/7 camp for 10 days for children with autism in early June. (so this would be at least 160 hours minus the 8 hours of sleep a night)
(Old Activity, written about in previous cycle) - Physical Therapy Volunteer - helped patients through exercises (30 hours)

Research Experience
- I worked in two different labs in undergrad (2 years each). I presented posters at a State-wide conference, where I awarded best undergrad presentation, and a national conference my junior and senior year at school.
- Currently, for my gap-year work at the NIH as a postbac. I'm going to have my name as co-author on a paper in a high-impact journal (we already sent revisions, so I'm hoping that it'll be published before I apply). I'm also working to write another paper where I would be first author, but I don't think it'll be ready in time.

Shadowing Experience -
- (Old) Cardio Surgeon (30 hours)
- (Old) Orthopedic Surgeon (30 hours)
- (New) Neurologist (80 hours)

Non-Clinical Volunteering
- (Old) Two separate tutoring services while in college (60 hours)
- (New) Coach of Special Olympics Basketball Team (50 hours)

Miscellaneous
- (Old) Teaching Assistant for Intro Bio for 3 years
- (Old) Rewarded a research award for $3000
- (Old) I was a camp counselor and then director was a 6-week camp every summer in college

This current cycle, I waited for my MCAT score to arrive at the end of august to submit my secondaries so most of them were submitted within the first two weeks of september. I'm hoping to have everything pre-written this time around. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where did you apply this cycle? Any other interviews besides EVMS?
I applied to:
EVMS
VCU
VTC
Drexel
Penn (Put me on hold)
UofA-Tucson (Put me on hold)
Geisinger
OUWB
MCW
Albany
GW
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Wayne State
Central Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Quinnipiac
University of Toledo
Michigan State

EVMS was the only school that extended me an interview. I would like to chalk it up to having submitted my secondaries in September, but more honestly, I didn't have the EC experience I think. I am hoping that I changed that with my current activities, are there any other schools that I should be looking at?

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest adding these schools in your next application:
Vermont
New York Medical College
Temple
Jefferson
Western Michigan
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
California University
any new schools that may open for 2019 (Kaiser, Roseman, Henricopolis)
Also apply to at least 6 DO schools and you are competitive for all DO schools.

I suggest adding these schools in your next application:
Vermont
New York Medical College
Temple
Jefferson
Western Michigan
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
California University
any new schools that may open for 2019 (Kaiser, Roseman, Henricopolis)
Also apply to at least 6 DO schools and you are competitive for all DO schools.

Great! Thank you for all of the suggestions. Do you think there is anything else I should look to address in my application?

Just wanted to add - California University just opened up their primaries in February. If the lack of federal loan opportunities does not deter you, you could submit your application now for a chance at the class starting this fall.