WAMC: reapplying after gaining an acceptance...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dolphins123

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I applied this cycle and was accepted to a school that I am not sure if I will be mentally and emotionally happy attending. I was just wondering if anybody had this happen to them and what they decided to do. Also, if someone had this happen to them and reapplied, how did it go? I am basically just trying to form a big pros and cons list. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I went through this dilemma last year! I was waitlisted at two schools and ending up getting accepted at one of those schools. I decided to turn down the acceptance, reapply to some of my top choice programs, and ended up gaining 3 acceptance (including my in-state). Feel free to message me if you want to chat more!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone. I applied this cycle and was accepted to a school that I am not sure if I will be mentally and emotionally happy attending. I was just wondering if anybody had this happen to them and what they decided to do. Also, if someone had this happen to them and reapplied, how did it go? I am basically just trying to form a big pros and cons list. Thanks!

The first question always is: why did you apply there? :)

This happened to me - I was only accepted to one school and I wasn't thrilled about the idea of attending it, mostly due to distance and cost of attending. I considered reapplying but ultimately ended up taking the acceptance and going through with it.

For me, the decision came down to the fact that my application wasn't particularly competitive. Even with a competitive application there is NO guarantee that you will get another acceptance, either at another school or at this same school. Also, you're losing out on a year of doctor income which is significant if you're going into practice after graduation. I'm not a big risk taker, so I took the acceptance I was guaranteed instead of hoping I would get another one.

Reactions: 2 users
I went through this dilemma last year! I was waitlisted at two schools and ending up getting accepted at one of those schools. I decided to turn down the acceptance, reapply to some of my top choice programs, and ended up gaining 3 acceptance (including my in-state). Feel free to message me if you want to chat more!
Hi! I found this post of yours because I’m dealing with a similar situation and have been searching through threads. I’m not sure if you still come on SDN, but would you mind if I messaged you to talk more about this?

Hi! I found this post of yours because I’m dealing with a similar situation and have been searching through threads. I’m not sure if you still come on SDN, but would you mind if I messaged you to talk more about this?

Hey! I still come on intermittently lol Feel free to shoot me a message, happy to talk :)