WAMC? Reinvented

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rubdubdubb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 2.7 sGPA 1.89 with over 180 units

I transferred to a university in the fall of 2019 and my cumulative institution gpa there is 3.658 with 68 units. 17 of those units count towards my sGPA making my institution sGPA 3.56. I am currently taking 13 units and am of course shooting for all A's. 4 of these units are for physics which will raise my institution sGPA to 3.7 for 21 units. I'm a Health Science major graduating in fall 2021.

Practice MCAT: 487 -> 495 -> Pending more weekly. I anticipate taking it in April. I understand that my MCAT score will be a major part of my application, whether I choose to apply now or later.

Located in CA

Filipina

Undergraduate institution or category
-Small state university

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
- ER Scribe (>500 hours and continuing)
- Clinical Care Coordinator (12 hours, I just started this role and will accumulate more hours)
- Volunteering at 3 different hospitals (120 hours)

Research experience and productivity
- No research experience but am looking.

Shadowing experience and specialties represented
- Limited shadowing experience because of COVID, I have about 12 hours of virtual shadowing

Non-clinical volunteering
- Volunteered with a local Children's Resource Center (12 hours, it was short term)
- Misc. volunteering like beach clean-ups and for an annual fundraiser for the local high school (16 hours maybe??

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
- I was an administrative assistant at a community for 3 years (I would count as leadership despite the title of my role, this was a vital part of my self-growth)
- Sorority leadership roles 1 year

Relevant honors or awards
- Recognition awards while working as an administrative assistant and a scribe

Anything else not listed you think might be important
- During COVID, I started sewing so I started making and donating G-tube covers to a local children's Hospital
- I have been powerlifting for about 1.5 years (this was really important for my self-growth, especially self-discipline)
- I was finally diagnosed with ADHD which can attribute to my horrendously low grades when I first got into uni and still low grades at my CC until transferring 2 years ago

My biggest worry is whether I have enough experiences. I feel solid when I say that these experiences have shaped and solidified my choice to go into medicine but I'm not sure if a different point of view will say that I need to do more. With that said, I have no problem delaying my application to obtain more varied experiences because I understand that my application can only get stronger. I have no problem doing a post-bacc program if need be. In fact, I would probably take an additional 15 units that would count towards my sGPA like immunology, genetics, virology, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your non-clinical volunteering is really low, and you should find an activity that you can stick with long-term to that end. I'm not as worried about research or virtual shadowing, though the miles will vary depending on the school.

Reactions: 1 user
You are t ready to apply at this time. Your ECs are pretty weak. Your MCAT practice scores are too low for any school and your sGPA , I don’t even know what to tell you. At this point your cGPA won’t move much at all but if you continue to get all As In upper level science classes you should be able to at least get above a 2.0. But only you can decide if it’s worth the effort. Do you have a backup plan?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You are t ready to apply at this time. Your ECs are pretty weak. Your MCAT practice scores are too low for any school and your sGPA , I don’t even know what to tell you. At this point your cGPA won’t move much at all but if you continue to get all As In upper level science classes you should be able to at least get above a 2.0. But only you can decide if it’s worth the effort. Do you have a backup plan?
Hi thanks for replying!

Thanks for pointing out that my EC's are a weak point. Having had it laid out while I typed my original post made me think that too! In terms of EC's, I'm looking into things that I can do within my community but is it weird to have EC's starting consistently like...1 year before I apply?

As for the MCAT scores those were my first 2 I had ever taken so I would hope for a continuing upward trend since I need to do content review.

Haha honestly my cumulative science GPA is laughable. I'm glad that it's something I can laugh about now but you're right! I am reaching for all A's in my upcoming science classes to help with that.

I do have a backup plan in terms of career but this is still something I want to pursue! If you meant in terms of like a back-up plan to applying this cycle, I've got that too! I pointed out in my original post that I was going to do a very short DIY post bacc by taking an additional 15 units of higher level biology classes. This would mean that I would have taken 36 science units since transferring and 96 total units since transferring. If I calculated it correctly, I can reach an institutional 3.7 cGPA and 3.81 sGPA which shows that since transferring I have really stepped up my game! Would this and upping my EC's make me more of a candidate? Of course my MCAT would be higher since those were just my first practice tests and I can properly spread out content review:)

Your non-clinical volunteering is really low, and you should find an activity that you can stick with long-term to that end. I'm not as worried about research or virtual shadowing, though the miles will vary depending on the school.
Hi!

Thanks for your feedback, I replied to another person below saying I realized that as I was laying down my information my EC's were really lacking. I am curious on your thoughts of suddenly having like a consistent non-clinical volunteering start like a year before I apply. Is that weird or a red flag because then it seems as if I'm checking off a box?

Also I would love your feedback on a reply that I left for someone else in this thread:)