Apr 2, 2021
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Summary: RN going back for med school. MD was always the goal, but I grew up in an ultra- orthodox Jewish community where women often don't work, let alone as physicians. Went into nursing because it seemed like a more practical option. I even went for a master's in nursing (at a solid university) to try and become a women's health NP but left after 2 semesters because I felt the academic rigor was super shallow. I love my patients but I am not interested in the nursing role. I would like to have the breadth of knowledge and autonomy of a physician. I went to a university for my bachelors, but have been taking my pre-requisites at a community college for financial reasons. I'm concerned about 3 things mostly- my downward trend for my GPA (C+ in gen chem 2, B in physics 1, B in organic 1 and C+ in organic 2), my lack of research, and having taken my courses at a community college. I would appreciate any thoughts about my chances and school list.

State/Country of Residence: New Jersey

Ties to other States/Regions: Israel

MCAT- 507 (125/129/126/127)

Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Bachelor in Nursing

Graduate Degrees (if applicable): 2 semesters of graduate nursing program (4.0 GPA)

Cumulative GPA: 3.65. Downward trend.

Science GPA: 3.5

Research Experience: None

Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): Paid- 2 years as oncology RN, 1.5 years as RN in a women's health specialty

Physician Shadowing: 30 hours shadowing reproductive endocrinologist

Volunteering: 4 years of volunteering for a community medical assistance program (provided nursing and hospice services to home bound patients at no cost), 3 years of volunteering at an organization that supports families of pediatric cancer patients

Other Extracurricular Activities: worked as a nurse at a camp for children with rare genetic conditions for 2 summers, co-chair of committee dedicated to community health education

Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): No, first in my family to go to college, first to go into medicine.

Specialty of Interest (if applicable): Women's health

Misc.: I immigrated to the US as a kid, English is my second language

School list:
Cooper Medical School
Hackensack University SOM
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Rutgers, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Rowan DO program
Albert Einstein COM
NYIT
TouroCOM-NY DO program
NYIT DO program
Columbia
Hofstra/Northwell
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
Stony Brook
Drexel
Temple
UPenn
Sydney Kimmel
Sackler in Israel

Thank you so much!
@Goro , @Faha , @LizzyM

Last edited:

bluepeony

2+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Summary: RN going back for med school. MD was always the goal, but I grew up in an ultra- orthodox Jewish community where women often don't work, let alone as physicians. Went into nursing because it seemed like a more practical option. I even went for a master's in nursing (at a solid university) to try and become a women's health NP but left after 2 semesters because I felt the academic rigor was super shallow. I love my patients but I am not interested in the nursing role. I would like to have the breadth of knowledge and autonomy of a physician. I went to a university for my bachelors, but have been taking my pre-requisites at a community college for financial reasons. I'm concerned about 3 things mostly- my downward trend for my GPA (C+ in gen chem 2, B in physics 1, B in organic 1 and C+ in organic 2), my lack of research, and having taken my courses at a community college. I would appreciate any thoughts about my chances and school list.

State/Country of Residence: New Jersey

Ties to other States/Regions: Israel

MCAT- 507 (125/129/126/127)

Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Bachelor in Nursing

Graduate Degrees (if applicable): 2 semesters of graduate nursing program (4.0 GPA)

Cumulative GPA: 3.65. Downward trend.

Science GPA: 3.5

MCAT: 505

Research Experience: None

Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): Paid- 2 years as oncology RN, 1.5 years as RN in a women's health specialty

Physician Shadowing: 30 hours shadowing reproductive endocrinologist

Volunteering: 4 years of volunteering for a community medical assistance program (provided nursing and hospice services to home bound patients at no cost), 3 years of volunteering at an organization that supports families of pediatric cancer patients

Other Extracurricular Activities: worked as a nurse at a camp for children with rare genetic conditions for 2 summers, co-chair of committee dedicated to community health education

Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): No, first in my family to go to college, first to go into medicine.

Specialty of Interest (if applicable): Women's health

Misc.: I immigrated to the US as a kid, English is my second language

School list:
Cooper Medical School
Hackensack University SOM
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Rutgers, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Rowan DO program
Albert Einstein COM
NYIT
TouroCOM-NY DO program
NYIT DO program
Columbia
Hofstra/Northwell
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
Stony Brook
Drexel
Temple
UPenn
Sydney Kimmel
Sackler in Israel

Thank you so much!
@Goro , @Faha , @LizzyM
Is your MCAT 505 or 507? A few of the schools on your list are unrealistic (ie: UPenn, Columbia, mount Sinai)

Apr 2, 2021
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Is your MCAT 505 or 507? A few of the schools on your list are unrealistic (ie: UPenn, Columbia, mount Sinai)
507, edited. Thanks for your feedback! I figured I should put some reaches in there but perhaps it's a waste of time

Reactions: 1 user

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Schools such as U Penn, Columbia, Mount Sinai, Hofstra are unrealistic with your MCAT. You could add any of these MD schools:
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Georgetown
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Add a few more DO schools and consider these:
LECOM (all schools)
UNECOM
PCOM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
CUSOM

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.