WAMC? RN to MD, 507/3.65/3.5

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RNtoMD2021

Reaction score
Summary: RN going back for med school. MD was always the goal, but I grew up in an ultra- orthodox Jewish community where women often don't work, let alone as physicians. Went into nursing because it seemed like a more practical option. I even went for a master's in nursing (at a solid university) to try and become a women's health NP but left after 2 semesters because I felt the academic rigor was super shallow. I love my patients but I am not interested in the nursing role. I would like to have the breadth of knowledge and autonomy of a physician. I went to a university for my bachelors, but have been taking my pre-requisites at a community college for financial reasons. I'm concerned about 3 things mostly- my downward trend for my GPA (C+ in gen chem 2, B in physics 1, B in organic 1 and C+ in organic 2), my lack of research, and having taken my courses at a community college. I would appreciate any thoughts about my chances and school list.

State/Country of Residence: New Jersey

Ties to other States/Regions: Israel

MCAT- 507 (125/129/126/127)

Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Bachelor in Nursing

Graduate Degrees (if applicable): 2 semesters of graduate nursing program (4.0 GPA)

Cumulative GPA: 3.65. Downward trend.

Science GPA: 3.5

Research Experience: None

Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): Paid- 2 years as oncology RN, 1.5 years as RN in a women's health specialty

Physician Shadowing: 30 hours shadowing reproductive endocrinologist

Volunteering: 4 years of volunteering for a community medical assistance program (provided nursing and hospice services to home bound patients at no cost), 3 years of volunteering at an organization that supports families of pediatric cancer patients

Other Extracurricular Activities: worked as a nurse at a camp for children with rare genetic conditions for 2 summers, co-chair of committee dedicated to community health education

Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): No, first in my family to go to college, first to go into medicine.

Specialty of Interest (if applicable): Women's health

Misc.: I immigrated to the US as a kid, English is my second language

School list:
Cooper Medical School
Hackensack University SOM
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Rutgers, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Rowan DO program
Albert Einstein COM
NYIT
TouroCOM-NY DO program
NYIT DO program
Columbia
Hofstra/Northwell
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
Stony Brook
Drexel
Temple
UPenn
Sydney Kimmel
Sackler in Israel

Thank you so much!
@Goro , @Faha , @LizzyM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Summary: RN going back for med school. MD was always the goal, but I grew up in an ultra- orthodox Jewish community where women often don't work, let alone as physicians. Went into nursing because it seemed like a more practical option. I even went for a master's in nursing (at a solid university) to try and become a women's health NP but left after 2 semesters because I felt the academic rigor was super shallow. I love my patients but I am not interested in the nursing role. I would like to have the breadth of knowledge and autonomy of a physician. I went to a university for my bachelors, but have been taking my pre-requisites at a community college for financial reasons. I'm concerned about 3 things mostly- my downward trend for my GPA (C+ in gen chem 2, B in physics 1, B in organic 1 and C+ in organic 2), my lack of research, and having taken my courses at a community college. I would appreciate any thoughts about my chances and school list.

State/Country of Residence: New Jersey

Ties to other States/Regions: Israel

MCAT- 507 (125/129/126/127)

Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Bachelor in Nursing

Graduate Degrees (if applicable): 2 semesters of graduate nursing program (4.0 GPA)

Cumulative GPA: 3.65. Downward trend.

Science GPA: 3.5

MCAT: 505

Research Experience: None

Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): Paid- 2 years as oncology RN, 1.5 years as RN in a women's health specialty

Physician Shadowing: 30 hours shadowing reproductive endocrinologist

Volunteering: 4 years of volunteering for a community medical assistance program (provided nursing and hospice services to home bound patients at no cost), 3 years of volunteering at an organization that supports families of pediatric cancer patients

Other Extracurricular Activities: worked as a nurse at a camp for children with rare genetic conditions for 2 summers, co-chair of committee dedicated to community health education

Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): No, first in my family to go to college, first to go into medicine.

Specialty of Interest (if applicable): Women's health

Misc.: I immigrated to the US as a kid, English is my second language

School list:
Cooper Medical School
Hackensack University SOM
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Rutgers, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Rowan DO program
Albert Einstein COM
NYIT
TouroCOM-NY DO program
NYIT DO program
Columbia
Hofstra/Northwell
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
Stony Brook
Drexel
Temple
UPenn
Sydney Kimmel
Sackler in Israel

Thank you so much!
@Goro , @Faha , @LizzyM
Is your MCAT 505 or 507? A few of the schools on your list are unrealistic (ie: UPenn, Columbia, mount Sinai)

Is your MCAT 505 or 507? A few of the schools on your list are unrealistic (ie: UPenn, Columbia, mount Sinai)
507, edited. Thanks for your feedback! I figured I should put some reaches in there but perhaps it's a waste of time

Reactions: 1 user
Schools such as U Penn, Columbia, Mount Sinai, Hofstra are unrealistic with your MCAT. You could add any of these MD schools:
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Georgetown
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont