WAMC/School List 3.42 cGPA/3.43 sGPA//513 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PerseveringPremed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please do not quote! Would like to delete thread to maintain privacy after receiving advice.

Hi all! First-time nontrad applicant looking for some advice on how to get through this process and get moving towards a dream of mine. Thanks in advance for looking this over!
  • cGPA and sGPA as calculated by an AMCAS spreadsheet calculator
    • 3.42 cGPA (3.09/3.69/3.74/3.25), 3.43 sGPA
      • Upward trend except for one bad quarter senior year due a clinically diagnosed depression and anxiety attack from a personal situation. I was prescribed medication and rebounded the next quarter to get on the Dean's List.
    • Enrolled in an MBA in Healthcare Administration program for upcoming year
  • MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    • 513 (127/130/128/128). Currently planning a retake on June 24, studying full-time and aiming high to compensate for my lower GPA as I wasn't able to study very effectively and for very long the last time around. Please let me know if this is a bad idea!
  • State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    • Currently living in OH after completion of gap year Clinical Research Coordinator job at CCF. For upcoming year I will be financially dependent on parents who are established in WA, and I do have strong ties to the region: graduated HS and university there and lived there for 8 years. As a financial dependent who has strong ties to the region, am I able to use WA? If I'm able to choose between the two (gray area), would it be better for my app to choose one state over the other?
  • Ethnicity and/or race
    • ORM (Southeast Asian)
  • Undergraduate institution or category
    • University of Washington, BS Chemical Engineering with focus on Bio and Biomedical Materials, Interfaces, and Systems
  • Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    • 60 hours at a clinic providing free medical/dental services to uninsured patients, many of whom lacked citizenship
    • 2100 paid hours working as a CRC at Cleveland Clinic (Am I able to split these hours between research and clinical? Should I?)
  • Research experience and productivity
    • ~130 hours at an undergraduate surgical research lab, no pubs
    • Middle author on abstract submitted to upcoming ASA conference, middle author on a study submitted to a university hospital's IRB (From CRC position)
    • Two poster presentations at undergraduate symposiums for medical device design as part of my capstone engineering project, worked alongside UW physician
  • Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    • ~170 hours of in-person shadowing Anesthesiology, Neurosurgery, OB/GYN.
    • ~16 hours of virtual shadowing in PA Family Med/Critical Care, Orthopedic surgery, Family Med, Emergency Med, and Maternal Fetal Medicine
  • Non-clinical volunteering
    • Volunteer work at Red Cross in foreign countries (50+ hours)
    • Efforts to teach about health equity and raise funds through various activities for a maternal and fetal health center in a third-world country (~150 hours)
  • Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    • Junior Officer and Officer for ChemE leadership organization for 2 years, helped with organization and hosting of regional conference (250 hours)
    • Founded and chaired a branch of an organization for health equity and right to health in Greater Seattle, grew to include another chapter due to success
  • Relevant honors or awards
    • Won a departmental scholarship for most improved GPA at the end of my Junior Year
    • Dean's List several times throughout college
  • Letters of Rec vary in strength
  • Hobbies:
    • Traveling
    • 11 years of piano, self-taught guitar
    • learning languages (currently conversationally fluent in 3, learned some basic Italian while abroad and continuing to learn others)
    • rock climbing
  • Other Employment: ~500 hours as a sales associate at Williams-Sonoma during sophomore year
  • Have immediate family in medicine
  • Interested in both Primary Care and Rural Health
  • Current Medical School List (not attached to any of these options and would like advice!)
    • University of Washington
    • WSU Elson-Floyd
    • Carle
    • Case Western
    • Cincinnati
    • NEOMED
    • Wright State
    • Ohio State
    • Toledo
    • Open to DO as well, but would like MD if at all possible.
Thanks for all your help! Please let me know if there's any other information or answers I can provide!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It appears your ties to Washington are much stronger than those to Ohio.
You could add these schools to your application:
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
TCU
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Belmont (when it opens)
For DO schools you could try these:
PNWU-COM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
PCOM
MU-COM
CCOM
AZCOM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM

Reactions: 1 user
It appears your ties to Washington are much stronger than those to Ohio.
You could add these schools to your application:
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
TCU
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Belmont (when it opens)
For DO schools you could try these:
PNWU-COM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
PCOM
MU-COM
CCOM
AZCOM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
Thanks so much the advice, I'll keep these in mind as I apply! Would you happen to have any insight into if I can/should split the hours I received from my CRC position between clinical experience and research?