WAMC/School List: 3.71 cGPA, 3.55 sGPA, 511 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ragtime_snek

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my MCAT scores back and I'm pretty disappointed; I scored higher on every AAMC practice test, and got a 519 on the one immediately before testing. I had been using the averages of my practice scores to compile my list, but now that doesn't work anymore, so now I need some help compiling a new school list.

1. cGPA: 3.71 sGPA: 3.55 MCAT: 511 (125/130/126/130)
worried that this score is really unbalanced and I have two C's, one in gen chem first semester of freshman year, and one in biochem my junior year. I have a 4.0 since then however, so some upward trend? I'm mostly worried that this makes me look really weak in chem and bio.

2. white male LA resident, UG Tulane

3. I have probably around 150-200 hours volunteering in the ED, a good portion of which was spent shadowing ED physicians and a couple hours with neurologists and a neurosurgeon

4. ~800 hours in a regenerative neuroscience lab, no publications

5. as far as non-clinical volunteering, I don't have a ton. I have volunteered with a memory center (20 hrs), and with middle school students teaching robotics and music (20 and 40 hrs, resp.)

6. leadership: have spent 3 years as an RA, on the board of the university's campus programming committee, last summer and the coming summer will spend in Alaska teaching boy scouts rock climbing

taking a gap year; I applied for a Fulbright ETA to Vietnam, and if I don't get that, I plan on working on application weaknesses.

Members don't see this ad.

Your best chances are your LA state public schools and Tulane. You could try OOS schools such as:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
NOVA MD
any new schools that open in 2019 (Kaiser, Roseman, Seton Hall)

Your best chances are your LA state public schools and Tulane. You could try OOS schools such as:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
NOVA MD
any new schools that open in 2019 (Kaiser, Roseman, Seton Hall)
thank you! should I consider applying DO?