MD WAMC/School List (3.79, MCAT 506 & 516) URM - Hispanic Male

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cbnto222

Reaction score
Hi All, I just got my second MCAT score today and I'm over the moon! I'm a URM hispanic male, bilingual Spanish/English, hopefully first doctor in my family. I will have dual degrees - Biology and Philosophy, with minors in Chemistry and Psychology from a state school.

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
· cGPA: 3.8
· sGPA: 3.9
2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
ATTEMPT 1: 506(124/129/126/127)
ATTEMPT 2: 516 (128/ 127 /130/131)
3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
· Florida - US Citizen
4. Ethnicity and/or race
· Hispanic - Cuban/Puerto Rican
5. Undergraduate institution or category
· State University
6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
· Patient Care Technician 1.5 year, ~750 hrs, started and worked during pandemic on the Covid floor of the hospital
7. Research experience and productivity
· 1 Year lab: ~800 hrs, school presentation. No publication
8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
· 50 hrs - Neonatology
· 32 hrs - Pediatric Surgery
· 16 hrs - Pediatrician
· 32 hrs - Neuroradiologist
· 8 hrs - Plastic Surgery –
· 4 hrs – Infectious Diseases
9. Non-clinical volunteering
· Friday Feed the Homeless: 100 hrs (from freshman year to application time)
· Dance Marathon: 16 hrs
10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
· Vice President - Catholic Student Union
· International Outreach Director/Board Member – AED Premed Honor Society
· Microscopy Photography Enthusiast
· Fisherman/Free Diver
11. Relevant honors or awards
· Special School award given to only top 1% of graduates of this school
12. Main schools I'm interested in (list VERY incomplete)
· ALL FLORIDA SCHOOLS
· Saint Louis University
· Georgetown
· George Washington University
· Virginia Tech Carilion
· Creighton University
· Chicago-Rosalind
· Tulane
· Virginia Commonwealth
Possible Reach Schools to Add
· Baylor
· Vanderbilt
· Duke
· Dartmouth
· Washington University

Any advice on schools that might be willing to offer $ to a hispanic male URM would be great. I'm focused on Florida schools because they will be significantly more affordable for me due to the in-state discount. Broadening my list would be greatly appreciated. My current list is mostly eastern schools bc well... my mom is in Florida and she doesn't want me very far so I told her I'd try but couldn't promise anything. Also let me know if there is anything significantly lacking in terms of ECs. THANKS EVERYONE!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Remove Georgetown, George Washington University, Virginia Tech Carilion, Rosalind, and Tulane as you will likely get into a FL school and there are other options with your stats and background. Aim high. I suggest adding all the reach schools you mentioned as well as the following:

UTSW
Emory
UVA
NYU
Hofstra
Northwestern
Harvard
Yale
UCLA (Geffen scholarship)
Mayo
Einstein
Rochester
Michigan
Cornell
Jefferson

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll also advise you that in-state schools know you have a discount with them, so it's not common for me to see additional scholarship money sent to you unless there are specifically designated minority scholarship funds at the state schools. (Again, I don't know Florida so there may be more designated scholarships for you.) Private schools are more likely to offer scholarship funds because they want to at least meet your COA comparably to an in-state student (reduce the OOS/IS difference). Thus, asking the students at schools of interest should help you tease out whether you identify schools that offer what you are looking for.

In addition to LMSA, check out SNMA. I was replying LMSA given your specific request.

Wow, this is great. Thanks so much for putting this list together. I missed this earlier. I Just reworked my list based on your recommendations and this is what I have below. What do you think? BTW, I added Icahn in NYC as I figured they were on par with others you added. Would you agree with that? One other question for you. I was looking at US News rankings for these schools but there are different ranking types like Research and Primary care. I don’t really know what I want to do yet so what should I look at if I want to rank a school?

Thank you!!!

Revised list below:

ALL FLORIDA SCHOOLS
NYU
Yale
Washington University
Vanderbilt
Harvard
Mayo
Weill Cornell
Virginia (UVA)
Duke