WAMC/ School List: 3.93 GPA, 510 MCAT. Thank you!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr_Dunder

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a traditional applicant applying for my first time during my gap year. Any feedback would be appreciated as I am very anxious about the process! Thank you.

1. cGPA and sGPA: 3.93, graduated manga cum laude in May

1. MCAT: 510 (128,128,126,128)

1. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Kansas

1. Ethnicity and/or race: White

1. Undergraduate institution or category: Kansas State University

1. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
  2. I volunteer weekly with inpatient units at the local children’s hospital ~ 200 hours
  3. I work full time as a scribe for an interventional cardiologist during my gap year ~2000 hours

1. Research experience and productivity: no research experience

1. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: around 80 hours between the interventional cardiologist a shadow for, an interventional radiologist, a wound care doctor and an orthopedic surgeon. It’s hard to calculate hours since I scribe full time.

1. Non-clinical volunteering: no strong commitments, I volunteered service breakfast to the homeless during my Pledge semester, then just around 20 hours a semester with the fraternity through various projects

1. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): I was Vice President Of my fraternity and on the executive board. I also was a student practicum for the freshman biology class. I also worked for the Walt Disney Company for 6 months as a Park Operations intern, plus waited tables during the summers

1. Relevant honors or awards: semester awards for 4.0 6/7 of my semesters in college, I also graduated magna cum laude

1. Anything else not listed you think might be important: I’m hoping That my academics and clinical experience make up for the weak points in my application. I’m also hoping my unique customer service experience with the Walt Disney Company will add something unique to my aplication. I have a tentative schools list, I am just worried that I am applying to late in the cycle and really hurt my chances. Any advice or feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you so much!
School list:

University of Kansas
University of Indiana
University of Maryland
Creighton
St. Louis University
Georgetown
University of Miami
University of Colorado
University of Vermont
University of West Virginia

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You could add more schools to your list such as:
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson

Reactions: 1 user
You could add more schools to your list such as:
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson

Thank you! I will add these on. Would you say that It is too late in the cycle or do I have a competitive chance somewhere If I apply broadly enough? Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a traditional applicant applying for my first time during my gap year. Any feedback would be appreciated as I am very anxious about the process! Thank you.

1. cGPA and sGPA: 3.93, graduated manga cum laude in May

1. MCAT: 510 (128,128,126,128)

1. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Kansas

1. Ethnicity and/or race: White

1. Undergraduate institution or category: Kansas State University

1. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
  2. I volunteer weekly with inpatient units at the local children’s hospital ~ 200 hours
  3. I work full time as a scribe for an interventional cardiologist during my gap year ~2000 hours

1. Research experience and productivity: no research experience

1. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: around 80 hours between the interventional cardiologist a shadow for, an interventional radiologist, a wound care doctor and an orthopedic surgeon. It’s hard to calculate hours since I scribe full time.

1. Non-clinical volunteering: no strong commitments, I volunteered service breakfast to the homeless during my Pledge semester, then just around 20 hours a semester with the fraternity through various projects

1. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): I was Vice President Of my fraternity and on the executive board. I also was a student practicum for the freshman biology class. I also worked for the Walt Disney Company for 6 months as a Park Operations intern, plus waited tables during the summers

1. Relevant honors or awards: semester awards for 4.0 6/7 of my semesters in college, I also graduated magna cum laude

1. Anything else not listed you think might be important: I’m hoping That my academics and clinical experience make up for the weak points in my application. I’m also hoping my unique customer service experience with the Walt Disney Company will add something unique to my aplication. I have a tentative schools list, I am just worried that I am applying to late in the cycle and really hurt my chances. Any advice or feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you so much!
School list:

University of Kansas
University of Indiana
University of Maryland
Creighton
St. Louis University
Georgetown
University of Miami
University of Colorado
University of Vermont
Her'es a more realistic list. Stop with the scribing and start engaging in more service to others less fortunate than yourself.

Rochester (maybe)
Hofstra (maybe)
Albert Einstein (maybe)
UCF (maybe)
U Toledo
Dartmouth
U VM
Miami
Tufts
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Seton Hall
Nova MD
U KS
U AR maybe
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. Start list with DMU, KCU and KCOM

Apologies for formatting, thank you again for the reply. Are there any schools I should cross right off my first list? What makes this list more attainable?

Her'es a more realistic list. Stop with the scribing and start engaging in more service to others less fortunate than yourself.

Rochester (maybe)
Hofstra (maybe)
Albert Einstein (maybe)
UCF (maybe)
U Toledo
Dartmouth
U VM
Miami
Tufts
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Seton Hall
Nova MD
U KS
U AR maybe
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. Start list with DMU, KCU and KCOM

It is not late to add more schools. Just submit all the secondaries before the end of August.

Thank you. Are there any hopeless schools on my current list? I tried to go off of Reddits out of state application guide but the list I have been given here was drastically different. Would you say I have a reasonable chance of being accepted somewhere besides University of Kansas?

Thank you. Are there any hopeless schools on my current list? I tried to go off of Reddits out of state application guide but the list I have been given here was drastically different. Would you say I have a reasonable chance of being accepted somewhere besides University of Kansas?
You should receive some interviews from the list I suggested. There are no hopeless schools on your list but schools such as Maryland and Colorado have a stronger preference for their own residents than others such as Vermont and West Virginia.

University of Indiana
University of Maryland
University of Colorado
University of Vermont
Delete the above.

School list:

University of Kansas
University of Indiana
University of Maryland
Creighton
St. Louis University
Georgetown
University of Miami
University of Colorado
University of Vermont
As a resident of Indiana I can tell you there is neither a University of Indiana Medical School nor a University of Indiana at all lol. Seriously though good luck with your application this cycle.

As a resident of Indiana I can tell you there is neither a University of Indiana Medical School nor a University of Indiana at all lol. Seriously though good luck with your application this cycle.

Haha, my girlfriend actually goes to IU. KU also goes by the University of Kansas so I forget other schools get very particular when they are used interchangeably! Thank you for your wishes!

Rochester (maybe)
Hofstra (maybe)
Albert Einstein (maybe)
UCF (maybe)
U Toledo
Dartmouth
U VM
Miami
Tufts
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Oakland-B
Seton Hall
Nova MD
U KS
U AR maybe

Thank you so Much for the help. I kept my original list just because my AMCAS was waiting to be verified and added

Dartmouth
Tufts
NYMC
MCW
VCU
Netter
Drexel
Loyola

Now I’m going to grind out prewriting all these secondaries and hopefully get my aplication in as soon as my AMCAS gets verified. I’m really committed to this scribe job for the gap year plus I need it for the money. I will consider looking into non-clinical volunteering though as I know it is a weak point of mine. Even with all of This though, I will be perfectly content if KU is my only acceptance. Am I getting my hopes up or do I have a legitimate chance? Thank you again.

Thank you so Much for the help. I kept my original list just because my AMCAS was waiting to be verified and added

Dartmouth
Tufts
NYMC
MCW
VCU
Netter
Drexel
Loyola

Now I’m going to grind out prewriting all these secondaries and hopefully get my aplication in as soon as my AMCAS gets verified. I’m really committed to this scribe job for the gap year plus I need it for the money. I will consider looking into non-clinical volunteering though as I know it is a weak point of mine. Even with all of This though, I will be perfectly content if KU is my only acceptance. Am I getting my hopes up or do I have a legitimate chance? Thank you again.

Thoughts? @Faha

Thank you so much.