WAMC/School List: 3.97/519, CA ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

12C-nara

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please do not quote this message.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You could remove the state public schools Indiana and Iowa since they will probably "yield protect" with your high stats. you should receive several interviews from the other schools on your list.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ivy school? Where are you with your letters and/or committee process?
I plan to ask for LORs in early February, and committee interviews are this spring. They're having us submit an AMCAS rough draft by the end of February for the committee interview.

You could remove the state public schools Indiana and Iowa since they will probably "yield protect" with your high stats. you should receive several interviews from the other schools on your list.
Thanks for your input! I've gotten several comments that my school list is dangerously-top heavy, and that I should shadow less competitive specialties. What is your opinion on this?

I suspect that those schools numbered 9-24 will interview you with delight. I've interviewed a few dozen of your clones already this year. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all, I'm applying for the 2022-2023 cycle, and I'd appreciate any feedback on my school list. I plan to apply to about 33-35 schools, but I'll most likely whittle down my school list based on comments and suggestions. I tend to err on the side of caution, so I'm wondering if my list is too top-heavy, especially considering that my clinical hours are on the lower end. An acceptance to a T20 would be amazing, though an acceptance from any medical school would be great. Thanks!
  • cGPA 3.97 / sGPA 3.94
  • MCAT: 519 (130/130/129/130)
  • State of Residence: CA
  • Ethnicity/Race: ORM
  • Undergrad: Ivy League
  • Clinical experience:
    • Volunteer @ free clinic: 100 hours
    • Volunteer @ cardiology clinic: 60 hours
    • Clinical assistant starting mid-march (gap year job) : 40 hours/week
    • One research internship in a hospital this past summer: 20 hrs/week, no tangibles.
  • Research experience:
    • Chemical education: at least 2000+ hours. 1 first-author and 1 co-author pub in a highly-recognized journal, both for the two projects that I led. 1 first-author submitted, 1 poster, three research grants from school
    • Systematic review: 150 hours, 1 abstract, 3 conferences.
    • One summer with bio research: 20 hours/week, no tangibles.
    • One semester being trained with biochem research but got a research fellowship that was cut due to COVID.
  • Shadowing: 30 hours neurosurg, 20 hours radiology, 20 hours plastics
  • Non-clinical volunteering:
    • Crisis hotline: 200+ hours by primaries
    • Tutor at low-income high school: 50 hours
  • Other: Chem TA since sophomore year, mentor for 2 clubs in college, co-pres of health entrepreneurship accelerator, leader of fellowship since sophomore year, MCAT tutor
Working school list:
  1. UCSF
  2. UCLA
  3. UCSD
  4. Kaiser
  5. Stanford
  6. USC
  7. UCI
  8. UCD
  9. Brown
  10. Yale
  11. Case Western
  12. Sinai
  13. NYU
  14. Harvard
  15. Cornell
  16. Vanderbilt
  17. Feinberg
  18. Mayo
  19. WashU
  20. Pitt
  21. Emory
  22. UVA
  23. Boston
  24. Einstein
  25. Cincinnati
  26. Ohio State
  27. Rochester
  28. Johns Hopkins
  29. Hofstra
  30. Indiana
  31. Western Michigan
  32. Iowa
  33. USF Morsani
  34. Michigan
  35. Columbia
  36. Duke
List is fine. Nothing wrong with aiming high. Suggest deleting IU though.

Thanks for your input! I've gotten several comments that my school list is dangerously-top heavy, and that I should shadow less competitive specialties. What is your opinion on this?
It is important to shadow folks caring for awake patients on an ongoing basis over time, (general IM, peds, psych, FM...).
This has little to do with competitiveness, rather it gives you the opportunity to see how medicine is practiced by the large majority of physicians.

I suspect that those schools numbered 9-24 will interview you with delight. I've interviewed a few dozen of your clones already this year. :)
Thank you and @Goro for your input! However, my 519 was my second attempt, and I edited the post to include my first score (510). Would my school list be impacted?

Last edited: