MD WAMC/School List: 3.97 cGPA, 523 MCAT, ORM - Research Heavy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darlingdino

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am applying to medical schools this cycle and would greatly appreciate any feedback on my list. My application is research heavy as I decided against doing a PhD but is weak on clinical/volunteering unfortunately. I know my stats can't carry me entirely so I wanted to make sure my list was well-rounded. Thank you!

cGPA: 3.97

MCAT: 523

State of Residence: Maryland (grew up in NC)

Undergrad: Public State School - May 2020

URM: No

Major: Biology

Research:
  • 3000 hrs - postgraduate developmental bio lab at NIH
  • 315 hrs - undergrad toxicology lab
  • 450 hrs - summer lab biotech
  • middle author in 4 pubs
    • I only helped edit 1 however, rest used data from experiments I helped with
Clinical:
  • 120 hrs - clinical volunteering
  • 30 hrs - shadowing
Other:
  • 50 hours - free clinic
    • mostly did nonclinical stuff like charting
  • 40 hours - spring break service trip
  • 400 hours - Fencing Club
  • 300 hrs - Vice president of animal conservation club (also organized a lot of volunteering here)
  • 600 hrs - various employment
Schools:
  1. Albert Einstein
  2. Dartmouth
  3. Duke
  4. Eastern Virginia
  5. Emory
  6. Hofstra
  7. Icahn
  8. Indiana
  9. Johns Hopkins
  10. Medical University of South Carolina
  11. Ohio State
  12. Penn
  13. Pitt
  14. Stanford
  15. Temple
  16. UNC Chapel Hill
  17. Uniformed Services
  18. University of Kansas
  19. University of Maryland
  20. USC – Greenville
  21. UVA
  22. Virginia Tech
  23. Wake Forest

Members don't see this ad.

Your low non clinical and clinical volunteering hours will limit your chances for interviews. I suggest these schools with your stats and ECs:
U Maryland
Johns Hopkins
UNC
Duke
Wake Forest
UVA
Virginia Tech
Emory
USF Morsani
Miami
Vanderbilt
Washington University (in St. Louis-almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
Northwestern
Stanford
UCSF
USC Keck
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
U Penn
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Yale
Harvard
Dartmouth
Brown
Tufts
Uniformed Services

There is no rush to apply to medical school, so take the time to work on addressing your apparent deficiencies.

I suggest networking with schools before applying. Do you still have access to your school's prehealth advising office?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I do have a meeting with an advisor next week. I'm applying this cycle though because my fellowship ends next summer and already feel behind with the gap years and all.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, how would you suggest networking with schools? Do you mean I should send them emails asking if I am a good applicant before I apply?

I do have a meeting with an advisor next week. I'm applying this cycle though because my fellowship ends next summer and already feel behind with the gap years and all.
And if you apply with gaping holes in your application you might be reapplying next year. You only want to do this one time and do it right. So you might want to rethink your plans.