WAMC/School List: 512 (*), 3.2 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, 3.8 SMP GPA, URM, FL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicken-n-beer

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need help with my school list:

Albany Medical College
Netter School of Medicine
Howard College of Medicine
Temple
Meharry Medical College
Morehouse
Northwestern
Ohio State
SLU
SUNY Downstate
TCU
Tufts
Pritzker
University of Cincinnati
Rochester
Wake Forest

I've been told my ECs/activities are pretty good but I could beef up my volunteering.

Strong LORs from my SMP and from my undergrad school.

*This MCAT score is tentative (AAMC practice exams hover around here)

Members don't see this ad.

Could you fill out a WAMC template? It's not just your metrics and demographics that determines your success. Also, need an official MCAT for a more tailored list.

Last edited:
Add DO schools

These are unlikely and I would replace with targets
Northwestern
Pritzker
Rochester
Cincinnati

UG gpa is more important and it’s low for MD. Apply but you have to also add DO imo

Members don't see this ad :)
Add DO schools

These are unlikely and I would replace with targets
Northwestern
Pritzker
Rochester
Cincinnati

UG gpa is more important and it’s low for MD. Apply but you have to also add DO imo
What kind of targets? My graduate GPA is from an SMP (a medical Masters).

Low tier MD and DO

Think

Drexel
Albany
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Beaumont
Creighton
TCU
Hackensack
MCW
Rosalind
Loyola
Temple

Low tier MD and DO

Think

Drexel
Albany
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Beaumont
Creighton
TCU
Hackensack
MCW
Rosalind
Loyola
Temple
Edited list:

FIU
Netter
Howard
Temple
Meharry
Morehouse
Nova
Ohio State
Saint Louis
SUNY Downstate
TCU
UCF
UF
USF
Wake Forest

If you score 517+ , I think that the original list makes more sense
From your lips to G-d's ears. I'm better with Chemistry and Biochemistry versus Physics so it comes down to the test I take on my date. I think it's within the realm of possibility.

From your lips to G-d's ears. I'm better with Chemistry and Biochemistry versus Physics so it comes down to the test I take on my date. I think it's within the realm of possibility.

How did that MCAT turn out? Always rooting for the reinvention stories!

How did that MCAT turn out? Always rooting for the reinvention stories!
Not as well as I wanted but I think I'll be ok. I got a 508 but I did very well in every section except P/S (go figure). 128/127/128/125 (84%, 82%, 82% and 41%)--> percentiles. I changed my school list a little and hopefully I'll get some in state love. Always nice to know somebody still believes in the underdog. I haven't gotten an II's yet but I'm a little hopeful. Honestly, if I don't get in, I don't think I'll be devastated.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Not as well as I wanted but I think I'll be ok. I got a 508 but I did very well in every section except P/S (go figure). 128/127/128/125 (84%, 82%, 82% and 41%)--> percentiles. I changed my school list a little and hopefully I'll get some in state love. Always nice to know somebody still believes in the underdog. I haven't gotten an II's yet but I'm a little hopeful. Honestly, if I don't get in, I don't think I'll be devastated.
Which URM community are you from ? If Hispanic, are you fluent in Spanish ? Do you have any physician shadowing hours or clinical volunteering/employment with patient contact ?

Which URM community are you from ? If Hispanic, are you fluent in Spanish ? Do you have any physician shadowing hours or clinical volunteering/employment with patient contact ?

Black and Hispanic. My Spanish is mediocre. I have a pretty good amount of shadowing and a fair amount of clinical volunteering (at a local health department-was told on here this is not weighted as heavily). I have been trying to get clinical jobs but despite being overqualified for many positions, I get bupkis (and no feedback as to why I'm not a good "fit"). I've reached a point where if I'm not accepted, I guess I'll try maybe one more (3rd time) with a better MCAT and assuming I fail again, I look into getting a doctorate. I'll be teaching undergrads soon in an official capacity. Maybe life is trying to tell me to pursue academia? Should I update schools about being a new instructor? What PhD fields might be tangential to clinical medicine? I'm trying not to be so defeatist but I'm bracing for disappointment so it doesn't sneak up on me.

Last edited:
You should receive interviews if you apply broadly to MD and DO schools.
Include these schools in your MD application:
Florida State
U Florida
Miami
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
USF Morsani
NOVA MD
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
TCU-UNT
Emory
Tulane
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Indiana
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
St. Louis
For DO schools consider all these:
NOVA DO
LECOM (all schools)
ACOM
WCU-COM
WVSOM
NYIT (both schools)
Touro-NY
UIWSOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
MU-COM
TUNCOM
PCOM (all schools)

Reactions: 1 users
You should receive interviews if you apply broadly to MD and DO schools.
Include these schools in your MD application:
Florida State
U Florida
Miami
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
USF Morsani
NOVA MD
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
TCU-UNT
Emory
Tulane
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Indiana
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
St. Louis
For DO schools consider all these:
NOVA DO
LECOM (all schools)
ACOM
WCU-COM
WVSOM
NYIT (both schools)
Touro-NY
UIWSOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
MU-COM
TUNCOM
PCOM (all schools)
I'm pretty sure I have most of the MD schools and I'll look into adding some DO schools. Thanks for the feedback.

How did your first cycle go? Any II? What was the outcome of the II(R-WL)? Are you a reapplicant at any of the schools on your current list? We’re you interviewed at any of these schools? What has significantly changed on your current application from your first one? How many times have you taken the MCAT? What were your scores.

How did your first cycle go? Any II? What was the outcome of the II(R-WL)? Are you a reapplicant at any of the schools on your current list? We’re you interviewed at any of these schools? What has significantly changed on your current application from your first one? How many times have you taken the MCAT? What were your scores.
No II's in first cycle. I'm a reapplicant at a few schools on this list (mainly in Florida). I completed post-bacc work and an SMP and retook the MCAT (first MCAT was average; taken the test twice).

The SMP I completed mimics the basic science coursework taken in medical school. I have begun volunteer work with a hospice organization and I'm working as an adjunct instructor.

No II's in first cycle. I'm a reapplicant at a few schools on this list (mainly in Florida). I completed post-bacc work and an SMP and retook the MCAT (first MCAT was average; taken the test twice).

The SMP I completed mimics the basic science coursework taken in medical school. I have begun volunteer work with a hospice organization and I'm working as an adjunct instructor.
Thanks.
Some schools average multiple MCATs, so keep that in mind.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user