This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1068788

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
With no clinical exposure of any kind your chances for interviews are low, especially at the schools you are applying to. I suggest preparing for a possible reapplication next year and accumulate 50 hours of physician shadowing (including primary care) and 200+ hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact. @Goro your perspective and comments ?

Reactions: 2 users
With no clinical exposure of any kind your chances for interviews are low, especially at the schools you are applying to. I suggest preparing for a possible reapplication next year and accumulate 50 hours of physician shadowing (including primary care) and 200+ hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact. @Goro your perspective and comments ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang, I am def concerned about that. I'm definitely going to have shadowing hours by this fall/winter so I'll update the schools on that. Do you think I should address this weakness in my secondaries?
By the time you accumulate those hours this winter the interview season will almost be over. Schools base their interview decisions on your application at the time of submission, not theoretical future activities that may or may not occur. You should not point out a deficiency in your application in secondaries. When @Goro comments you will have another perspective from an Adcom member.

Reactions: 1 user
By the time you accumulate those hours this winter the interview season will almost be over. Schools base their interview decisions on your application at the time of submission, not theoretical future activities that may or may not occur. You should not point out a deficiency in your application in secondaries. When @Goro comments you will have another perspective from an Adcom member.

Hey everyone! Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to read this & help me out.

State of Residence: FL
Ties to Other Regions: most of childhood in NY, born in TX
MCAT: single take, 3 years after graduating - 518 (129/127/130/132)
Cumulative/Science GPA: 3.54/3.44
Research: Biochem lab for 3 years in undergrad, good relationship with my research prof but not pubs bc of my other obligations
Volunteer: 500+ hours in outreach with children (physical health, sports clinics for the under-privileged mostly) & volunteering/working fundraising with Riley Hospital for Children
ECs: Full athletic scholarship to a Big Ten university, captain of my team for 2 years, NCAA First Team All-American as a senior, major conference student-athlete award at graduation, played professionally for the last 3 years
Clinical Experience: None :( This is one of my major concerns
Shadowing: Was meant to shadow an ortho surgeon this spring, but got postponed for COVID-19

School List:
Columbia
Cornell
Duke
Harvard
Johns Hopkins
NYU
Northwestern
Pitt
Stanford
UChicago
UCLA
UF
Michigan
UNC Chapel Hill
UPenn
UVA
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale

I'm aware that most of these places are reaches, but I'm nothing if not ambitious lol. I've received most of my secondaries & am trying to emphasize how the traits & values of being an athlete would help me be a good candidate. Does anyone have any insight they can lend? I appreciate it.
Ambitious? More like behavior contrary to your self-interest.

Those schools don't need your donations. Take your SO out for dinner once the COVID crisis is over instead.

Your app is DOA for those schools not merely for the low GPAs (0.2-3 basis point below the national median for all MD acceptees) but your complete lack of clinical exposure. Fundraising for hospitals is admirable, but not clinical.

In truth, the lack of clinical exposure is lethal for any med school.

Ouch. Well, I appreciate the time taken to respond, even if it was a bit needlessly harsh.

• Wow
If you need to reapply next year include all of your Florida MD schools:
U Florida
Florida
Miami
USF Morsani
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
NOVA MD
Those schools are where your best chances are. Many of schools you applied to this year would not be realistic since your GPA is less than the 10th percentile for many of them. Your good MCAT of 518 and your athletic background are major pluses though.

If you need to reapply next year include all of your Florida MD schools:
U Florida
Florida
Miami
USF Morsani
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
NOVA MD
Those schools are where your best chances are. Many of schools you applied to this year would not be realistic since your GPA is less than the 10th percentile for many of them. Your good MCAT of 518 and your athletic background are major pluses though.
Thank you for your insight!!

Get clinical experience. Get 300 hours and your low GPA might be forgiven, especially if you have an upward trend. Get 150 hours, and you're good. As you are? You're pretty much an instant reject because you have NO clinical experience at all. You've got a nice car but forgot the wheels, sorry. Go get wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.