WAMC/school list? 520 MCAT 3.57 GPA weakish ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mountainman121

Reaction score
Hey all,

I hope everyone is safe and healthy. I just got my MCAT score back today and I'm super relieved/excited about my score. However, my ECs are by no means great, and I am concerned they will hold me back somewhat. Mainly due to procrastination, I did not really start until the summer before my junior year (last summer) and obviously with COVID I had to stop some of them early. I would really appreciate any input as to my chances and help with my school list. Thanks!
  1. GPA:
    cGPA: 3.57 with a good upward trend: 3.17 (including a 2.8 my first semester) -> 3.46 -> 3.57 (individual years were 3.17, 3.7, 3.85, with a 3.9 this past semester)
    sGPA: 3.7 -lots of A-s, couple flat As and Bs
  2. MCAT: 520 (129/129/130/132)
  3. Residence: West Virginia
  4. White male
  5. Undergraduate: Top 30
  6. Clinical Experience: 150 Hours volunteering at an Outpatient Surgery Center starting last summer. Responsibilities included taking vitals, helping patients to the restroom after surgery, bringing them up from the waiting room, wheeling them out to their rides, changing sheets, bringing patients liquids, making IV bags, etc.
  7. Research: None
    Was never interested in research to be honest. Hopefully, I will be doing research with a biology professor this coming semester to satisfy a degree requirement (not definite due to COVID). I suppose I could send an update letter if/when I start?
  8. Shadowing:
    20 Hours with a general surgeon.
    30 Hours with an ENT.
    15 hours at a free clinic in my hometown with several specialties.
  9. Nonclinical Volunteering:
    - 15 hours as a tutor/teacher's assistant at a dual-immersion grade school (half of students are native Spanish speakers) with a low income population. Was really enjoying my time here, but made the mistake of waiting until early February to start, and of course it was cancelled due to COVID shortly after. Will be continuing next semester assuming school is in session.
    - 60 hours as a virtual tutor through my undergrad
    - 4 summers as a Church Camp counselor through summer 2017 (summer before my freshman year). I know it's generally said not to include high school activities, but this was a super meaningful experience for me so I am thinking I will include it on amcas.
  10. Employment:
    6 summers lifeguarding, around 1300 hours. Held the position "Head Life Guard" for the last 3 summers. Basically was in charge of the life guard staff underneath the manager of the pool. Ran the facility on days when the manager was not present.
  11. Leadership: Current community service chair of my social fraternity. Haven't been able to accomplish too much yet due to COVID but we have held several virtual fundraisers that were successful.
  12. LORS: My individual letters should be strong (English prof, biochem prof, physician I shadowed for 30 hours). However, I received the ranking of "confident" from my committee (Confident -> Good confidence -> strong confidence -> highest confidence). So I'm not really sure how that will impact my app because it's not great, but it is still a recommendation. I think my ranking was likely due to my GPA (need a 3.5 to even get a letter) and weaker ECs.
  13. Honors/awards: Dean's list for the past 5 semesters, doubt I will include in amcas.
  14. Hobbies: Play the guitar, really passionate about it, currently have this as an activity in amcas.
  15. Immediate family member in medicine: Yes
  16. Interest in rural medicine: Yes
  17. Other information: Received 2 alcohol related IA's within the first month of my freshman year. Was seen by an RA with alcohol in my possession. Stupid, I know. Have not been in any kind of trouble since.

Current School List:
    WVU (in state)
    Marshall (in state)
    Wake Forest
    LSU (some ties)
    Louisville (some ties)
    Drexel
    VCU
    Cincinnati
    Wayne State
    Eastern Virginia
    Central Florida
    Toledo
    Maryland
    Vermont
    UVA
    Ohio State
    Not a finalized list and I am looking to add more schools and am not opposed to cutting any that are out of reach. Would love any suggestions if you have them. I am hoping with my sGPA and MCAT I can be competitive, though I am worried that my ECs could hold me back significantly. I am hoping to submit my app today or tomorrow now that I have my MCAT, so while I'm not early I don't think I'll be too late. Would really appreciate any advice on my school list as well as input on my chances at getting an acceptance somewhere. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your ECs are adequate with your MCAT of 520. You could add any of these schools:
Boston University
Tufts
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Miami
USF Morsani
Duke
Tulane
Western Michigan
Kaiser

Your ECs are adequate with your MCAT of 520. You could add any of these schools:
Boston University
Tufts
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Miami
USF Morsani
Duke
Tulane
Western Michigan
Kaiser

I'll look into these, thanks!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Boston University
Tufts
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Miami
USF Morsani
Duke
Tulane
Western Michigan
Kaiser

I have a quick question, sorry. Should I include my time as a church camp counselor, even though it was in high school + one summer after I graduated? Or should I leave it off? Thank you again for your help!