MD .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mr_ravioli

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Remove Wake Forest and George Washington since they will "yield protect" with your stats.
Add SUNY Downstate and Hofstra.

Great job. Figure out your mission fit, but start looking at secondary essay prompts too. You can begin writing on your schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for your advice, I really appreciate it!

I'm a bit worried about being yield protected from lower-tier schools and not looked at by higher-tier schools because of low ECs. Do you guys think I should potentially push off my application cycle to 2024 to address these deficiencies? @LizzyM @Goro

Thank you all for your advice, I really appreciate it!

I'm a bit worried about being yield protected from lower-tier schools and not looked at by higher-tier schools because of low ECs. Do you guys think I should potentially push off my application cycle to 2024 to address these deficiencies? @LizzyM @Goro
Get in the nonclinical volunteering NOW and by the time you apply, you should be fine. App looks great otherwise!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm only at one school but I've seen in recent years a decreasing emphasis on non-clinical volunteering if the applicant is otherwise well above our average which runs around 98th percentile. YMMV

As an EMT in a 911 system you often see people at the margins and on what, for many, may be the worst day of their life (or a bad day in a lifetime of bad days). That does provide some exposure to the people who you would not otherwise interact with as a college-educated man. That might make up for the type of non-clinical volunteering that some adcoms like to see.

I'm only at one school but I've seen in recent years a decreasing emphasis on non-clinical volunteering if the applicant is otherwise well above our average which runs around 98th percentile. YMMV

As an EMT in a 911 system you often see people at the margins and on what, for many, may be the worst day of their life (or a bad day in a lifetime of bad days). That does provide some exposure to the people who you would not otherwise interact with as a college-educated man. That might make up for the type of non-clinical volunteering that some adcoms like to see.
Absolutely, a majority of the patients I work with are members of largely disadvantaged communities well below the poverty line.

Get in the nonclinical volunteering NOW and by the time you apply, you should be fine. App looks great otherwise!
Will try my best! Was worried it would look poorly in the eyes of adcom that I started a new activity 3 months before applying. I will try to bump up those Crisis Text Line hours though, since that's also considered non-clinical I believe (although not really community oriented)

Will try my best! Was worried it would look poorly in the eyes of adcom that I started a new activity 3 months before applying. I will try to bump up those Crisis Text Line hours though, since that's also considered non-clinical I believe (although not really community oriented)
I think some faculty could ding you for it, but your metrics... just get it done sooner vs. later.

Consider Carle and Texas A&M EnMed. They have an affinity for quantitative science majors, and I think your background with bioinformatics will appeal in spite of your low non-clinical volunteering hours. Check with them.