WAMC/School List cGPA 3.71, sGPA 3.68, MCAT 516

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Computing

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted contents of this post for privacy. Thanks all for the feedback :).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Delete Colorado, Virginia Tech, and Rush.

Add Hofstra, Dartmouth, Quinnipiac.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd probably drop U Penn and Michigan. Rush expects lots of volunteer hours so that might be one to drop. I'd add Mt. Sinai. Virginia Tech is research heavy. Unless you will do a full year of research in gap year that one might be a stretch.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the deletions recommended above. Add Albany Med and maybe UVM

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you all for the suggestions! Are there any parts of my application I should be particularly worried about, other than my somewhat low GPA?

• Care
Thank you all for the suggestions! Are there any parts of my application I should be particularly worried about, other than my somewhat low GPA?

In terms of EC's you have nothing to worry about; very well rounded and good depth of experience.

At this point just try to get that GPA up as high as you can and apply broadly as you have been advised! Your strong MCAT will help and perhaps also being from a grade deflating school.

Def add Hofstra and Albany as you're from NY.

In terms of EC's you have nothing to worry about; very well rounded and good depth of experience.

At this point just try to get that GPA up as high as you can and apply broadly as you have been advised! Your strong MCAT will help and perhaps also being from a grade deflating school.

Def add Hofstra and Albany as you're from NY.

Appreciate the feedback! I tried to make long-term and consistent commitments to my extracurriculars. And yep I added those to my list!

So new development, one of my friends who is an admitted student said that dual-enrollment courses from high school factored into their GPA? I have 20 credits of courses that are all A's, including Bio I and II, English I and II, a government class, and Psych 101. This could potentially boost my GPA by 0.05 points and it seems too good to be true. Do they really count and will the bio courses help my sGPA as well? I do have an official transcript.

• Care
Appreciate the feedback! I tried to make long-term and consistent commitments to my extracurriculars. And yep I added those to my list!

So new development, one of my friends who is an admitted student said that dual-enrollment courses from high school factored into their GPA? I have 20 credits of courses that are all A's, including Bio I and II, English I and II, a government class, and Psych 101. This could potentially boost my GPA by 0.05 points and it seems too good to be true. Do they really count and will the bio courses help my sGPA as well? I do have an official transcript.

Yes, dual enrollment courses from high school definitely do count towards GPA.

The grades on AMCAS do appear year by year, so it'll show a 4.0 in the "before college" section and the credits will be incorporated in the overall GPA as well.

I don't think it makes much of a difference with regards to your list, but it'll be nice to cross that psychological threshold of 3.7 and who knows, possibly some screening filters.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Yes, dual enrollment courses from high school definitely do count towards GPA.

The grades on AMCAS do appear year by year, so it'll show a 4.0 in the "before college" section and the credits will be incorporated in the overall GPA as well.

I don't think it makes much of a difference with regards to your list, but it'll be nice to cross that psychological threshold of 3.7 and who knows, possibly some screening filters.

That is fantastic news, it definitely helps me feel more comfortable about my list and application over all. Thank you so much!

• Love
yeah it's nice to catch a break once in a while as a pre-med haha. Also, why'd you scratch out Upstate? You should apply to all state schools.

yeah it's nice to catch a break once in a while as a pre-med haha. Also, why'd you scratch out Upstate? You should apply to all state schools.
I've heard some negative things about Upstate from a friend in regards to the location and issues with administration, though I guess that might just be anecdotal.

I've heard some negative things about Upstate from a friend in regards to the location and issues with administration, though I guess that might just be anecdotal.

What if it ends up being your only acceptance? Would you rather go to upstate or not go to medical school at all? As it's a state school I wouldn't take that risk but you'll have to weigh that yourself.

Reactions: 3 users
What if it ends up being your only acceptance? Would you rather go to upstate or not go to medical school at all? As it's a state school I wouldn't take that risk but you'll have to weigh that yourself.
You're right! It's worth applying to. Thanks for the advice :).

Reactions: 1 users