WAMC School List check 522, 3.78 cGPA, 3.88 sGPA May 2021 application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChristianPulisic10

Reaction score
Hey guys! Thank you in advance! Long time lurker :)

1. cGPA 3.78, sGPA 3.88
2. MCAT (131/129/131/131) 522
3. State CA
4. Ethnicity: ORM
5. Undergrad: Top 20 but not H/Y/P/S/M
6. Clinical:
250 hours as receptionist at a free clinic for the uninsured in an underserved area, honestly a pretty solid experience — I was usually the only non-physician volunteer there, had a lot of responsibilities that were integral to the functioning of the clinic. Scheduled patients for appointments, helped them to access and informed them about programs that would get them the care they needed that we couldn't provide (surgeries, specialty care, etc), patient charting, follow up/confirmation calls, taught patients how to use fecal test kits, helped them to download coupons for prescriptions, things like that. (One year)
75 hours as a hospital volunteer — basic pt needs in the hospital such as blankets, water and food, companionship, etc. Pt wheelchair transport, equipment restocking, things like that. Cut short due to COVID (4 months)
7. Research:
1 and 2/3 (quarter system ftw) years of research. One presentation of faculty guided work at university research fair after first two quarters of research. One independent project, also presented at university research fair. Ecology lab. (480 hrs)
8. Shadowing:
50 hours shadowing two family medicine doctors for weekly for two months
9. Non Clinical Volunteering
120 Hours as volunteer youth soccer coach, one season (five months)

150 hours as volunteer tutor (through a volunteer org) for an child living in homeless shelters, (two years), met weekly during the school year and biweekly during the summer. Planned lessons that focused mostly on reading comprehension and writing ability.

50 Hours between two different nursing homes. One was activity based for seniors with neurological diseases — led them in basic basic exercise, arts and crafts, sing alongs, etc with other volunteers. (25 hours, did this monthly for about a year)
The other was as entertainment for seniors during a music hour (played the piano weekly for a summer)

Volunteer at COVID-19 testing site: This is projected, but will likely be about 100 hours over the course of 9 months dependent on testing needs. In progress.

Volunteer facilitator for community "How to start/grow your small business class". Facilitated meetings by teaching from lesson book and following up with class members on established goals, commitments. 4 month class, 75 hours

10. Other Extracurricular Activities

Worked as a paid Laboratory Assistant in an Ecology laboratory taking care of plants, killing pests, watering, fertilizing, transplanting seedlings, cooking dirt in a massive furnace to kill bacteria (I thought that was cool). 300 hours, 1 year

Worked (paid) at a resort for a year, first part time as an activities attendant, then was promoted to full time Lead Attendant after 3 months. HUGE time growth and learning how to be an effective leader — supervised a core team of 8-12 employees (depending on season). Took stock of inventory, created new activities for the resort, reorganized and streamlined inefficient processes financially and practically, created sales goals, led activities, drove hayrides, taught pickleball, ordered supplies, coordinated maintenance of recreation center (or did it myself), handled a lot of angry people on vacation, trained new hires, worked to inspire and motivate other employees, took responsibility for poor performance of employees on my team. I may not have changed the world but this job was really important to me and i put a lot into it, and learned some hard but invaluable personal lessons along the way. Leadership experience and paying off student loan debt during gap year after my freshman year of college.
1800+ hours

Hobbies — Cooking, sports, hiking, genealogy — nothing notable, other than showing I am not a robot. Ran a marathon after freshman year

Clubs:

Founder of English conversations club for Chinese speakers looking to improve english skills — I do NOT speak Chinese unfortunately, but have a lot of friends that do and handled the administrative side of these meetings for them. Senior year

Founder and president of (X University) Pickleballers, also senior year. Just bringing the community together with a sport that deserves to be shared with the world

Very involved in local student church group all three years at university
year 1(freshman) - activities committee member
year 2(junior) - service chair coordinator
year 3(senior) - outreach chair coordinator

11. Relevant honors or awards: Nothing that isn't a GPA redundancy.
12. Other: Probably irrelevant, but most of my lower grades came from community college courses during my "sophomore" year when I was a student part time (a C and two B's), so my university GPA is higher than the overall AAMC will use. This likely does nothing but prove my knuckleheadedness

Here is my school list! I'd love to hear what you guys think, especially @Goro , @gyngyn , and @Faha . Thanks!

1Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
2Stanford University School of Medicine
3Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
4Mayo Clinic School of Medicine
5Columbia University ; College of Physicians and Surgeons
6University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine
7University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine
8Duke University School of Medicine
9Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine
10University of Michigan Medical School
11Weill Cornell Medicine
12Yale School of Medicine
13Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine
14University of Chicago Division of the Biological Sciences The Pritzker School of Medicine
15Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
16University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
17University of California, San Diego School of Medicine
18Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
19Boston University School of Medicine
20Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
21University of Virginia School of Medicine
22University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
23Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California
24Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
25University of California, Davis, School of Medicine
26University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine
27Albert Einstein College of Medicine
28Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
29Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
30Tufts University School of Medicine
31University of Vermont College of Medicine
32Eastern Virginia Medical School
33University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
34Tulane University School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

You could remove schools such as Wake Forest and Vermont since they will yield protect. You could add any of these schools:
Ohio State
Cincinnati
NYU
Brown