WAMC & School list feedback (520 MCAT, 3.95 GPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Habber22

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
sGPA: 3.93 cGPA: 3.95
MCAT: 520 (131, 127, 130, 132)
State Residency: MA
State Ties: OH (undergrad) & CT (Many extended family members are residents)
Ethnicity/Race: White Male
Undergrad: Biochemistry at large public university
Clinical Experience:
- 200 hours of hospital volunteering on patient floors. Highlighted a story in my PS. Plan on being one of my most meaningful experiences.
- 50 hours volunteering at a COVID-19 vaccine clinic
Nonclinical volunteering:
- 500 hours with an on-campus food pantry. I will project more hours for 2021-22.
Research:

- 900 hours (~1.5 yrs) in a basic science lab. Participated for three semesters with credit and the summer following my freshman year. Was working on a project prior to COVID-19 and had received a fellowship from my university. Ultimately decided to join a new lab given restrictions and personal research interests.
- 250 hours in a basic science lab (current). Will be working over the summer on a project that I intend to complete a thesis with.
- No presentations or publications.
Shadowing:
- Neurological critical care (16 hours)
- GI/Hepatology Outpatient (30 hours)
Leadership other ECs:
- President of the on-campus food pantry. We see ~ 6,000 visits a year
- A member of a cohort of students that provide facilitations on a variety of topics. (2 yrs)
- Member of a student organization focusing on safety within chemistry labs/research groups. (50hrs)
Employment:
- Summer before college fast-food worker (300 hours)
- Last summer (COVID-19) customer service at a popular retailer (350 hours)
Immediate family in medicine: No
Why Medicine: Initially tied to the death of my father to cancer and my positive clinical outcome dealing with spinal fusion. Followed these up by discussing my clinical volunteering. In my PS I focused heavily on my desire to continue promoting healthy patient-physician relationships that incorporate consideration of patients' goals and desires surrounding their care.

Tiered School List:
Harvard
Duke
Johns Hopkins
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale
Stanford
UChicago
Mayo Clinic
Cornell
Pitt
Michigan
Case
UVA
Ohio State
Boston University
Rochester
Dartmouth
Hofstra
USF Morsani
Brown
Cincinnati
Iowa
Stony Brook
UMiami
Wake Forest
Einstein
St. Louis University
UWisconsin
Vermont
Indiana
Illinois
UConn
Tufts
UMass
Thomas Jefferson

Ideally, I would like to cut out some of the schools on my list. Any advice on schools to consider/remove from my list? Is my list appropriate for my stats and involvements? Specifically, I am curious if anyone had insight into some of the state schools on my list. I am trying to gauge which schools are the most oos friendly. I appreciate your willingness to help me out! Thank you and Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good list and should receive several interviews. You could remove state public schools such as Illinois, Indiana and U Wisconsin.

Reactions: 1 user