This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beefeedflowermix

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I interviewed at U of U as a CA applicant, but only because I did my undergraduate there. I would not recommend it at all. They only have 15 spots for “true OOS” applicants—which make the odds terrible haha.

I’d remove:
U of U
UCSF
UC Riverside (unless you have strong connections to Riverside county)

You could add:
Emory (definitely a reach, but you can try)
GT
Possibly UCI (reach)
USC-Keck (reach)
Temple
Drexel
Penn State
Geisinger
VCU
EVMS
NYMC
Wayne State
Creighton
Wake Forest
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin

Reactions: 1 user
You can remove UC Riverside since you have no connection to that area. Utah accepts few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. UCSF and Emory are far reaches. I suggest these schools with your stats:
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Kaiser
California University
California Northstate
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
U Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Tulane
NOVA MD
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Your volunteering training service dogs will appeal to someone reviewing your application at some schools !

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Faha @m1redsox thank you both so much! This is a great list, I really appreciate both your help. Is it not worth it to apply to Riverside even with a strong mission fit, despite no regional connection?

@Faha @m1redsox thank you both so much! This is a great list, I really appreciate both your help. Is it not worth it to apply to Riverside even with a strong mission fit, despite no regional connection?
This is a good question. Given that their mission is literally all about serving the inland empire, I would say that makes you not a good mission fit. I applied with no real connections and got put “on hold” for an interview, so I’m not sure what to think about that. But I would not have applied if I had known that they receive local funding to accept students from the “inland empire.” Most people say “hold” for an interview is just a soft rejection anyways—which is probably accurate since I got like 6 or 7 “holds” for interviews (Tulane, UCSD, UCR, NYMC, Penn State, etc) and none of them actually turned into interviews.

This is a good question. Given that their mission is literally all about serving the inland empire, I would say that makes you not a good mission fit. I applied with no real connections and got put “on hold” for an interview, so I’m not sure what to think about that. But I would not have applied if I had known that they receive local funding to accept students from the “inland empire.” Most people say “hold” for an interview is just a soft rejection anyways—which is probably accurate since I got like 6 or 7 “holds” for interviews (Tulane, UCSD, UCR, NYMC, Penn State, etc) and none of them actually turned into interviews.
Hmm... that is a fair point. I mean, I would be happy to serve the inland empire area as I hope to work for underserved communities, but I guess they can't really know that if I don't have any established connections. thank you for your input!!

I was accepted to USC Keck with a 510 mcat and a lower ugpa so maybe you’d have a shot there. Also I think you could totally have a good shot at Cal university of science in medicine. When I went for my interview, they really emphasized looking for a good mission fit and wholistic review.

Reactions: 1 user
I was accepted to USC Keck with a 510 mcat and a lower ugpa so maybe you’d have a shot there. Also I think you could totally have a good shot at Cal university of science in medicine. When I went for my interview, they really emphasized looking for a good mission fit and wholistic review.
oh my goodness congrats on your acceptances! this is actually great info, based on msar I wasn't thinking it would be worth it but now that I heard from you and others saying it might be worth a shot, I'll def apply