WAMC/School List Help (3.8/512)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureSkiDoc

Reaction score
Privacy

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is your community service experience? How have you truly stretched yourself beyond your comfort zone? The only times you seem to have worked with underserved communities seem to be with your EMT work or as a CRC. When you say "some interest in rural medicine," could you explain how you have gained insight into the challenges of rural health?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What is your community service experience? How have you truly stretched yourself beyond your comfort zone? The only times you seem to have worked with underserved communities seem to be with your EMT work or as a CRC. When you say "some interest in rural medicine," could you explain how you have gained insight into the challenges of rural health?
You are correct. I worked in both rural emergency medicine and with homeless dialysis patients for a year each. I would consider both experiences outside of my comfort zone given my background and previous experiences. Should I work on adding additional non clinical volunteering with underserved communities? Or could I do a better job of presenting these experiences in my essays?
After working with our medical director in the rural EMS service, I gained an appreciation for his connection to the community despite the challenges presented by the lack of supporting care with rural medicine. He was an important voice in my path to medical school. I would say I have some interest because I don't have a strong connection to a rural community and am not sure if I would commit to a rural track for medical school. I was hoping to expand on this in my essays. Is there a better way of explaining this? Should I frame it in a different way?

You are correct. I worked in both rural emergency medicine and with homeless dialysis patients for a year each. I would consider both experiences outside of my comfort zone given my background and previous experiences. Should I work on adding additional non clinical volunteering with underserved communities? Or could I do a better job of presenting these experiences in my essays?
After working with our medical director in the rural EMS service, I gained an appreciation for his connection to the community despite the challenges presented by the lack of supporting care with rural medicine. He was an important voice in my path to medical school. I would say I have some interest because I don't have a strong connection to a rural community and am not sure if I would commit to a rural track for medical school. I was hoping to expand on this in my essays. Is there a better way of explaining this? Should I frame it in a different way?
Thanks. Let's hope the WL becomes an A for you. It is probably wait to further articulate your experience in those activities if you have to reapply, but also probably do a little more homework if you want to really know what rural health is like. Certainly if ND goes your way, you'll get more insight.

If you do have to reapply, I would recommend getting non clinical volunteering experience towards the underserved. It is better to have a different and unpaid experience to show some diversity outside medicine but it is commendable what you did with dialysis for homeless patients.

Of your current list, take out Kansas, Nebraska, Carle (unless you have an engineering background), Utah, Michigan State MD, and Central Michigan as they take very few OOS students. Do not apply to Rocky Vista either due to its for-profit status and Caribbean parent company.

Consider adding:
Hackensack
TCU
Quinnipiac
NYMC
Temple
Drexel
Jefferson
Wayne State
Nova MD

For DO, you are competitive for all of them. Try:
Midwestern
DMU
KCOM
CUSOM
PCOM
NYITCOM
The Touros
KCU
LECOM
Marian

If you do have to reapply, I would recommend getting non clinical volunteering experience towards the underserved. It is better to have a different and unpaid experience to show some diversity outside medicine but it is commendable what you did with dialysis for homeless patients.

Of your current list, take out Kansas, Nebraska, Carle (unless you have an engineering background), Utah, Michigan State MD, and Central Michigan as they take very few OOS students. Do not apply to Rocky Vista either due to its for-profit status and Caribbean parent company.

Consider adding:
Hackensack
TCU
Quinnipiac
NYMC
Temple
Drexel
Jefferson
Wayne State
Nova MD

For DO, you are competitive for all of them. Try:
Midwestern
DMU
KCOM
CUSOM
PCOM
NYITCOM
The Touros
KCU
LECOM
Marian
Thank you! Good to know about the non clinical volunteering. That hadn't been on my radar in the past but makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the school list help. How many MD and DO schools should I apply to? I need to become more familiar with the DO process.

Thank you! Good to know about the non clinical volunteering. That hadn't been on my radar in the past but makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the school list help. How many MD and DO schools should I apply to? I need to become more familiar with the DO process.
You are competitive for all the DO schools so the 10-12 I mentioned (since Touro has separate schools in Nevada, CA and NY) are probably good.

For MD, around 25-35 is a good number. Enough schools but without creating too much work for you. Because students who take more often have worse secondaries as they try to keep up with them constantly coming in. I think removing the ones I mentioned from you list (eg Nebraska) and replacing them with the others I mentioned gets you to 29, which is good. Check the policy on South Dakota. I know North Dakota takes some Minnesota residents (hence your interview) but I don’t know if SD does the same. If you already applied there and didn’t hear from them, that might mean they don’t really include anybody without a SD residency or tie, or at least from the other Dakota.