This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed1423

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
(4.0 up until sophomore year where dealing with the death of a friend shook me up a little bit and I got a couple B's, was wondering if I could explain this in essays/ help forgive a little blip in my otherwise strong GPA)

Do NOT do this!!! It will have you come off as a perfectionist., something Adcoms seek to cull out immediately. Just like virginity, there's a time and place to lose one's 4.0 GPA.

I suggest:
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale
JHU
U Chicago
U Penn
Northwestern
Columbia
Harvard
Stanford
Mayo
Cornell
Sinai
BU
U VA
Duke
Case
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
U MI
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Ohio State
Pitt
U Cincy
USF Morsani
Baylor
Dartmouth
Rochester
USC/Keck
Western MI
Emory
Jefferson
Miami
SLU
Tufts
U IA
U VM
U MD

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You should have a lot of II's coming given your stats. My only concern based on what you have provided is that you have a lot of teaching, mentoring, and tutoring for non-clinical activities. Aside from your involvement with your cultural affinity group, what other opportunities do you have on record that show your capability to stretch beyond your comfort zone and truly work with vulnerable populations whose demographics you do not share (people not like you)?

@Goro, thank you for your input!

I was also wondering, for secondaries that ask about challenges that I faced/ ask to explain poor grades or Ws on a transcript, is the death of this friend something I could bring up assuming I am comfortable talking about it? If I were to talk about it, I would also focus on the things I have learned and grown with through the experience.
That;'s fine, but for challenges proper, do NOT mention anything about grades!

Reactions: 1 users
@Goro, thank you for your input!

I was also wondering, for secondaries that ask about challenges that I faced/ ask to explain poor grades or Ws on a transcript, is the death of this friend something I could bring up assuming I am comfortable talking about it? If I were to talk about it, I would also focus on the things I have learned and grown with through the experience.
If you put this down in your essay, it is fair game to ask in any interview. Don't use it as a crutch for poor academic performance.

You should have a lot of II's coming given your stats. My only concern based on what you have provided is that you have a lot of teaching, mentoring, and tutoring for non-clinical activities. Aside from your involvement with your cultural affinity group, what other opportunities do you have on record that show your capability to stretch beyond your comfort zone and truly work with vulnerable populations whose demographics you do not share (people not like you)?
What about that 400 hours of tutoring underprivileged children?

What about that 400 hours of tutoring underprivileged children?
Was this through a program like TFA or was it organized by an undergrad/college club? It depends who how this was organized. Also the OP lists a lot of teaching and tutoring... this doesn't seem like stretching as much as you may think because a lot of premeds list some teaching or tutoring as activities.

Was this through a program like TFA or was it organized by an undergrad/college club? It depends who how this was organized. Also the OP lists a lot of teaching and tutoring... this doesn't seem like stretching as much as you may think because a lot of premeds list some teaching or tutoring as activities.

How does it matter whether tutoring is organized by an undergrad/college club as opposed to TFA or some other national organization such as, for example Americorp? I'm not sure I understand your point here.

How does it matter whether tutoring is organized by an undergrad/college club as opposed to TFA or some other national organization such as, for example Americorp? I'm not sure I understand your point here.
Rigor of training and level of responsibility.

Reactions: 1 user