WAMC/School List Help- 3.9 GPA/513 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kobe_fan13

Reaction score
Hello and Happy New Year! I would really love your help reviewing my stats, info, and school list below and telling me what areas of my application I need to strengthen for reapplication next cycle. Thank you so much!
  • cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS
    • cGPA: 3.96
    • sGPA: 4.0
  • MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    • Total: 513 *86th percentile
    • Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems: 128 *84th percentile
    • Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills: 125 *60th percentile
    • Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems: 129 *90th percentile
    • Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior: 131 *97th
  • State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US):
    • Colorado, USA
  • Ethnicity and/or race
    • Filipino and White
  • Undergraduate institution or category
    • Private, Mid-Tier University in California
  • Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    • COPE Health Scholar (440 hours): Volunteer experience helping patients with eating, bathing, and ambulating, wound care, taking vitals, answering call lights, and discharging patients. Also helped with administrative duties in the pop-up COVID vaccination clinic.
  • Research experience and productivity
    • Research Assistant in University Lab (100 hours): Experience conducting literature reviews, helping produce a study, interacting with participants, setting up equipment (EEG, eye-tracking, etc.)
    • Assistant Lab Manager in University Lab (100 hours): Experience working with the founding director of the lab, producing executive summaries of grants, drafting protocols for the Institutional Review Board, doing administrative work, researching COVID-19 protocols, and editing nomination packets, books, etc.
    • Presented poster at university symposium: Credited as a contributor
  • Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    • None
  • Non-clinical volunteering
    • Course Notetaker (100 hours)
    • Greek life recruitment counselor (50 hours)
    • Podcast Diarist/Panelist (10 hours)
    • MCAT Q&A Panelist (2 hours)
    • Med School Q&A Panelist (1 hour)
  • Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    • Study abroad in France as an advanced level speaker (3 weeks)
    • Active Member in a sorority (4 years)
    • Sorority Leadership: Director New Member Experience (1 year)
    • COPE Leadership Team- Department Coordinator (250 hours)
    • COPE Executive Team- Assistant Director of Departments (100 hours)
  • Relevant honors or awards
    • Honors/Awards:
      • Provost List (GPA 3.6+ each semester) (January 2019-present)
      • National Society of Leadership and Success (February 2020-present)
      • National Society of Collegiate Scholars (GPA 3.4+, top 20% of class) (August 2020-present)
      • Gamma Beta Phi (character, service, and scholarship) (September 2020-present)
      • Pi Delta Phi (National French Honor Society) (May 2021-present)
  • Anything else not listed you think might be important
  • Medical School List (all MD schools):
    • Easy Schools (My MCAT was > or = 3 points higher than their median)
      • Wright State
      • Louisville
      • TCU
      • U of A Tucson
      • OUWB
      • Florida International
    • In-Range Schools (My MCAT was within + or - 2 points of their median)
      • Tulane
      • Georgetown
      • Florida Atlantic
      • University of Hawaii
      • Wake Forest
      • Utah
      • Temple
      • Colorado
      • Quinnipiac
      • University of Miami
      • U of A Phoenix
    • Reach Schools (My MCAT was > 3 points lower than their median)
      • Emory
      • Boston U
      • University of Michigan
      • Duke
      • Stanford
      • Vanderbilt
      • Johns Hopkins

Members don't see this ad.

1) What feedback have you gotten from your prehealth advisor/office?

2) The COPE Health Scholars involvement is going to help you, but the MCAT won't. Your extreme reach schools (>3 points lower than median) are donations. You'll hear a lot of advice to compare your MCAT to the 75th to 80th percentile of the reported entering class; that gives a little better idea of where strong applicants are chosen for early interview invitations. Your in-state options are always probabilistically your best bet and should be on your list regardless.

To that end, you should query your network on where many of your COPE scholars have gone, especially those who have similar trajectories as you. Connect with them about their programs and consider to apply to them.

3) You can always check your LizzyM or WARS scores to compare as well.

You have several state public schools on your list that accept few non residents with no connection to the state. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Colorado
TCU-UNT
Tulane
Miami
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Cincinnati
Hofstra
Einstein
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Rochester
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Kaiser
St. Louis
Creighton

Members don't see this ad :)
1) What feedback have you gotten from your prehealth advisor/office?

2) The COPE Health Scholars involvement is going to help you, but the MCAT won't. Your extreme reach schools (>3 points lower than median) are donations. You'll hear a lot of advice to compare your MCAT to the 75th to 80th percentile of the reported entering class; that gives a little better idea of where strong applicants are chosen for early interview invitations. Your in-state options are always probabilistically your best bet and should be on your list regardless.

To that end, you should query your network on where many of your COPE scholars have gone, especially those who have similar trajectories as you. Connect with them about their programs and consider to apply to them.

3) You can always check your LizzyM or WARS scores to compare as well.
Hello! Thank you so much for your comments. The prehealth program at my school is not very established, so they did not offer me feedback. I mostly did my own research and worked with Shemmassian Consulting to get guidance on the written portions of the applications. I will definitely talk to other COPE Health Scholars!

You have several state public schools on your list that accept few non residents with no connection to the state. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Colorado
TCU-UNT
Tulane
Miami
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Cincinnati
Hofstra
Einstein
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Rochester
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Kaiser
St. Louis
Creighton
Thank you so much for your feedback. I will definitely keep this in mind!!!