WAMC / School List Help (3.92 GPA, 524 MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ems22

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I got my MCAT score back this week, and I'm trying to finalize my school list so I can start planning secondaries and CASPer/SJT-- I would love any help I could get.

cGPA/sGPA: both 3.92
MCAT: 524 (131/131/131/131)
State of residence: Alabama
Ethnicity and/or race: White
Undergraduate institution: non-HYP Ivy
Clinical experience: 1750 hours volunteer EMT, 500 hours ED scribe (and will continue to scribe in my gap year)
Research: 700 hours in a corporate lab (350 high school + 350 college), no pubs. I'm supposed to produce a poster for an independent study class by the end of this semester, but I don't count that until it's actually done.
Shadowing: 80 hours- 8 peds, 35 cards (20 English-speaking, 15 Russian-speaking), 8 GI, 12 andrology, 18 EM.
Non-clinical volunteering: 60 peer mentorship, 20 teaching first aid to public school teachers, 20 ESL tutoring refugees.
Other extracurriculars: D1 athlete in a "weird" sport, 750 hours (not a captain, but had a smaller leadership role on the team). AXO sorority, 400ish hours (was on Standards board and Risk Management Committee, and I have some good stories from those- and I'm planning on mentioning the Dungeons and Dragons game I run for the sorority to help stave off some of the negative connotations of Greek life). Introduction to Linguistics TA, 210 hours. Leader of my major's undergraduate group, 75 hours.
Relevant honors or awards: Just a grant/award I won that funded 35 hours of summer work to adapt Introduction to Linguistics for remote teaching.
Anything else not listed you think might be important: I'm a Slavic Studies major. I moved around a lot as a kid and have divorced parents, so while I'm a resident of AL, I have significant ties to NY, NJ, and CT. I am an EMT & scribe in MA, and I spent some time living with my aunt near Boston while my dad worked there, but I'm not sure if that counts as ties to MA. Also, I know my school tends to send out committee letters late, around Labor Day Weekend. I'm worried about how that will impact my cycle timeline.
Tentative School List (not necessarily in preference order):
  1. NYU
  2. Harvard
  3. Brown
  4. UAB
  5. Kaiser
  6. UPenn
  7. Columbia
  8. Yale
  9. Johns Hopkins
  10. Cornell
  11. Icahn
  12. SUNY Downstate
  13. Stony Brook
  14. Rutgers
  15. The other Rutgers (RWJ)
  16. UConn
  17. UMass
  18. Dartmouth
  19. NYMC
  20. BU
  21. Tufts
  22. Albert Einstein
  23. Hofstra
  24. Thomas Jefferson
  25. George Washington
  26. Georgetown
  27. Drexel
  28. Temple
  29. Possibly Creighton-- my cousin went to dental school there, and apparently that confers some type of vague preference? I find this very hard to believe...
What should I add or remove? I think I have a lot of low-yield schools on my list, which I know is less than ideal. I'm also trying to stay somewhat close to family, so Bama and the Northeast. Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on your MCAT score. Use the CASPer forums to prepare; AAMC PREview/SJT info probably won't change relative to last year.
Get rid of the low-yield schools unless they are in your geographic pocket.

Did you do any significant community service that did not have to do with health care or involve teaching/tutoring?

Reactions: 1 user
You can remove schools such as Creighton, Drexel, Temple and NYMC since they will "yield protect". You could add these schools:
Washington University
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Duke
UCSF

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your MCAT score. Use the CASPer forums to prepare; AAMC PREview/SJT info probably won't change relative to last year.
Get rid of the low-yield schools unless they are in your geographic pocket.

Did you do any significant community service that did not have to do with health care or involve teaching/tutoring?
Thank you- it! I've also done some fundraising for a local shelter for victims of domestic violence with my sorority, but I know that nonclinical volunteering is definitely a weak point for me.

Thank you- it! I've also done some fundraising for a local shelter for victims of domestic violence with my sorority, but I know that nonclinical volunteering is definitely a weak point for me.
Thanks. Fundraising is not the same of course (though it is important) as person-facing community service. We want to know how you have put yourself in situations where you had to be uncomfortable in order to truly help someone not like yourself.