WAMC/School List Help 3.96, 518, WI, ORM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thriving12

Reaction score
Hi everyone! My main goal now is to finalize my school list, I received so much great help before and now I have a list that definitely needs editing. My main themes I highlighted in my statement and activity sections are: patient care/compassion, belonging/support, and academic inquiry. Another major aspect I think is important to my story that I wrote about is that I didn't consider being a physician at all until my junior year of college, I actually originally wanted to do industry research. Through volunteering, working, research etc. I learned a lot about myself and realized that this is where my passion and strengths lie.
I would appreciate any help or comments! (Especially with my school list)
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    1. 3.96 cGPA, 3.95 sGPA
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown. Include all (non-voided) attempts.
    1. 518, 130/128/128/132
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    1. WI
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    1. ORM Asian Male
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    1. UW-Madison Senior (taking a gap year)
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. Volunteer: Hospital volunteer with dementia/geriatric patients. Sat with them and assisted with needs (ambulation and feeding) and conversation to reduce delirium. (100, projected 30)
    2. CNA: 200, projected 500
  7. Research experience and productivity.
    1. Microbiology Lab Assistant during breaks from school
      1. Volunteered over summer before sophomore year and transitioned to paid position during the winter break.
      2. Community waterway study for two purposes, COVID-19 incidence in community and also impact of community road salt.
      3. ~250 Volunteer
      4. ~75 Hours Paid
    2. Neurophysiology Vision Lab
      1. ~800 hours
      2. Three Poster presentations
      3. Research Award
    3. Genetics/Ophthalmology Lab
      1. ~800 Hours
      2. Senior Thesis & Symposium Presentation
      3. 1-2 Potential Pubs (in-progress and in early stages so prob not on my app)
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented.
    1. ~50 hours Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgeon
    2. ~8 Emergency Medicine Shadowing (projected 30)
    3. Will be getting more in multiple specialties (aiming for ~20 hours)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. Chinese Family Program, provided social support and belonging for those lacking in the community. (Was a part of a student org I was in, but this program was separate from my leadership position) (150 hours)
    2. Adult Literacy & ESL Tutor (5, projected 100), tutor adult learners essential literacy (reading, writing, math, computer, filling out forms etc.) these adults are from a variety of backgrounds but I would say most are people who are disadvantaged/lacked access for education. ESL is for immigrants and refugees.
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. Chinese American Student Association
      1. General Member, Intern, Public Relations Chair, President
      2. ~300 hours
    2. Lecture Manager, worked with professor to make discussion worksheets for student volunteer led discussions for other students enrolled in the course.
      1. ~40 hours
    3. Co-Founder of Community Health Education Club
      1. Club focuses on compiling and distributing of health information to help raise awareness to stay healthy in the community. (Senior Center, Schools, On Campus, Community Centers, Non-English speakers)
      2. Been working on it for a year foundation is set and hoping to get out into the community soon
    4. Math Tutor
      1. High school until sophomore year of college (300 hrs)
    5. Was also a general member in a spectrum of student orgs during various time periods (Vietnamese Student Association, AED, Undergraduate Neuroscience Society, Ceramics Club)
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Freshman BME Scholarship
    2. Sophomore Research Fellowship
    3. Senior Academic Scholarship
    4. Phi Beta Kappa
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important.
    1. Taught myself and others pottery ~250 hours
    2. Tennis Group Organizer (practice and matchplay) ~100 hours
    3. I feel like I did a bunch of random stuff especially in the first half of college so I don't entirely remember everything I did but everything I can/is significant I listed.
    4. Currently looking for CRA jobs for gap year and continuing CNA.
Current School List
Mayo
Northwestern
Icahn
Stanford
Case Western
Michigan
Boston University
Hosftra
Emory
USC
Brown
Colorado
ohio
New york medical college
Dartmouth
Pitt
U Mass
Tufts
Iowa
U Miami
Hackensack
Georgetown
Sidney Kimmel
Western Michigan
Nova Southwestern
Rosalind Franklin
Vermont
VCU
VT
Quinnipiac
Minnesota
Drexel
GW
Indiana
Temple
UW-SMPH
Oakland University
MCW
Wash U

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You have a good list and should receive several interviews.
Thank you so much! I am worried right now that I have too many schools on my application. I have around 40, but I am looking to narrow down to 30 at max. Are there schools I should replace/remove? Am I undershooting/overshooting?

Last edited:
Great profile. What's your purpose as a physician?
Hi, thank you so much! For my purpose, I have two main themes I focused on in my application, compassion and also a sense of belonging. I want to create an environment of hope and research, and my patient interaction. Additionally, I think trust is important to provide better care to those who are unfamiliar or don't have the ability/resources to understand medicine and healthcare. During my time in college, outside of my school work, I found that working on building community among those who lacked support in the country, such as immigrants rewarding.

Hi, thank you so much! For my purpose, I have two main themes I focused on in my application, compassion and also a sense of belonging. I want to create an environment of hope and research, and my patient interaction. Additionally, I think trust is important to provide better care to those who are unfamiliar or don't have the ability/resources to understand medicine and healthcare. During my time in college, outside of my school work, I found that working on building community among those who lacked support in the country, such as immigrants rewarding.
So why not nursing where your patient interaction and role are more responsible for creating such an environment? Also, how does one create an environment of hope and research?

So why not nursing where your patient interaction and role are more responsible for creating such an environment? Also, how does one create an environment of hope and research?
Yeah for sure! That's something I have thought about, as I work very closely with nurses in my role as a CNA. I do love working with patients in a nursing context but I noticed from my experience that patients many times still look towards the physician for the final word of reassurance and for ultimate decision making. While nurses have more opportunity to interact with patients with compassion, the physician has the authority and training to have the largest impact on their wellbeing. So even though the overall time may be less, that time spent with the patient evaluating and explaining the situation benefits them even more if they feel at ease and heard. Or in other contexts like surgery the time you are spending performing an operation, and the success of their well being is directly in your hands. For your second question, I think I could've worded that a little better in my original response. My goal is that as a physician, in addition to what I mentioned earlier, is also to provide hope in what I do. Whether its figuring out what is going on, or choosing and executing the best course of action. I think in doing so with care and to a high quality provides hope to patients. For the research aspect, I feel a responsibility to play an active role in research. While I am not pursuing an MD/PhD, I still think it is important to contribute to research and at the very least stay up to date with current findings and to have scientific conversations with all types of peers. I understand that there are times where I may not have the answer to a situation, or that there is so much I can do, and that's why I think the bench to bedside relationship and clinical research aspects are so important to providing hope to those who have lost it.