WAMC School List Help | 4.0 GPA, MCAT Undetermined

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paul202

Reaction score
Hey everybody. I have had some difficulty this application cycle, and a friend suggested I make an account on SDN to ask about the best school choices. Due to COVID I am unable to take the MCAT until June 27th, so I am still waiting on my score. I plan to apply to CMU in order to get my AMCAS application processed, and once I get my MCAT score I will send out my other applications.
In addition to posting schools to consider, if you guys have any general guidelines on how to narrow my search I would love to learn about it. It looks like some of the stickied posts deal with schools threads, so I was going to devote a lot of time looking over those.

Here is my general info, let me know if you have any questions

GPA Cum/Science: 4.0 (entering my senior year next year)
MCAT: assume for the sake of this 518-520 range (based on current results)
Ethnicity: White
Clinical Volunteering:
- Volunteer at ER/Neuro Units: 230 Hours
- Due to COVID, should hit 300 hours by the time I matriculate
Shadowing:
- 38 hours shadowing 2 ER docs
- 18 hours shadowing Orthopedic Surgeon
- 60 hours shadowing dentistry (my father is a dentist)
- 40 more hours were planned, postponed due to COVID
Nonclinical Volunteering:
- 200 hours in club supporting students with disabilities, also VP
- 60 hours at my local library
- 50 hours at Students for Orphan relief club I helped found, also VP
- 20 hours on 7Cups (only emotional support) so far, but plan to have many more as I only discovered it in wake of COVID
Research:
- 700 hours in lab over past 3 hours, over last year took a step back to become social media manager due to influx of people
- Won Grand Prize at Undergraduate Research Fair last year
- Unfortunately my PI is not proactive about publications, so I am not featured in any
Other:
- 640 hours as a TA for Biology, another 320 planned next year
- 60 hours spent privately tutoring students
- 1100 hours in construction, helped renovate a house with my father
- Piano is one of my hobbies I am listing in my application, had to teach myself for the most part and very important to me
- Honors college at MSU, Deans list every semester, Natural Science scholarship, Professorial Assistantship (exclusive program that let me start my research as a freshman)

I am very close with my letter of rec professors, so I know they will be good. I had hoped to get more hours in volunteering and shadowing, but COVID disrupted my plans. I've been heavily focusing on my PS and activities descriptions, as I know that my strong suit is academics but I don't want to rely on it.
Please let me know what you guys think, when it comes to my school list I am so overwhelmed I don't know where to begin. One of my friends recently freaked me out by saying since I have strong academics, some schools may reject me as it'll seem like they will be my safety schools. This leaves me confused as how to best choose schools where I will be competitive but not "too" competitive. Note that I am applying MD, and I do plan to apply to all schools in Michigan.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have to be honest with you - it is virtually impossible to make a school list without knowing Mcat ....

Reactions: 2 users
I have to be honest with you - it is virtually impossible to make a school list without knowing Mcat ....
If we assume that I stay in line with what I am currently testing and don't bomb on test day (I'm a good test taker), I should be getting at least a 518. I have a month left to prepare, so that is why I am hoping to hit the 520 range. Would you be able to formulate a list on that expected score?

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s hard to create a school list without an mcat because people say margin of error is usually +/-4 with practice exam average. so your 518-520 practice could realistically translate to anything from a 514-524 on test day. A 514 would have a very different school list from a 524. Just submit to throwaway wait til you get your result to create a list.
Since I won't be getting my scores back until halfway through July, wouldn't this put me at a severe disadvantage if I wait until then to get an idea of my school? I know it takes a while to formulate a list, even a rough one - any tips on how I could start doing this despite the uncertainty?

I think that you should apply to state schools + your favorite top schools assuming that your MCAT will be >514. The high GPA will compensate to an extent, if you do end up scoring a bit lower than expected. Your application is strong otherwise, in my opinion. The only thing that might hold you back is research (for research heavy top schools) due to publications, but this should not be an issue if your PI writes you a very strong letter of recommendation.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk