WAMC/School List Help 513/3.82

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleepingpupper

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA: 3.82 sGPA: 3.78
  2. MCAT: 513
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): VA
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: ORM (asian)
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: small state school
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): currently scribing full-time for gap year - 80 hours currently, projected 1000+ hours over 1 to 1.5 years
  7. Research experience and productivity: 3.5 years (1000+ hours) of research, no pubs, 1 presentation
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: ~70 hours, primary care, surgery and anesthesia
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: ~200 hours volunteering (100 hrs. virtual tutoring for a non-profit, 50 hours on a community farm, 50 hours on crisis text line), looking to get more during gap year
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): currently taking a gap year scribing at ER, served exec board for one club, leadership/teaching roles as a Orgo Lab TA and lab mentor
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Deans List all semesters, awarded x2 summer research scholarships
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: Would I need to look at DO schools as well w/ my stats? I would prefer to get into a MD school but if my chances are shaky I would look into applying to both.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
U Virginia
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Wake Forest
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
I suggest these DO schools:
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
CUSOM
WVSOM
PCOM
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
MU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
AZCOM

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the school list! I do have one question - from various people I've talked with, they said that my extracurriculars are lacking especially w/ my stats and being an ORM. Right now I'm scribing in the ER, but would further improving w/ my ECs give me a significant boost in the application process?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your nonclinical volunteering is your weakest part - most of it is remote and the community farm thing doesn't jump off the page as being an activity where you work with those less fortunate. Your GPA is fine and your MCAT isn't bad but IIRC the median MCAT for ORMs last cycle was 514 so you're not doing yourself any favors, especially since 3 of the big VA public schools are extremely OOS-friendly.

How much scribing will you have by late May when you apply? That would really be the most accurate way to measure those hours instead of 80 hours you have now.

Reactions: 1 users
I think your nonclinical volunteering is your weakest part - most of it is remote and the community farm thing doesn't jump off the page as being an activity where you work with those less fortunate. Your GPA is fine and your MCAT isn't bad but IIRC the median MCAT for ORMs last cycle was 514 so you're not doing yourself any favors, especially since 3 of the big VA public schools are extremely OOS-friendly.

How much scribing will you have by late May when you apply? That would really be the most accurate way to measure those hours instead of 80 hours you have now.

I'm currently working 40 hr/wk, so I'm estimating ~700 hours by late May.

Thanks for the school list! I do have one question - from various people I've talked with, they said that my extracurriculars are lacking especially w/ my stats and being an ORM. Right now I'm scribing in the ER, but would further improving w/ my ECs give me a significant boost in the application process?
More non clinical volunteering hours before you apply will help.

Not counting the virtual tutoring, you only have 50 hours in a crisis text line and 50 hours on a community farm (doing what???). That's not really compelling that you are capable of working outside your comfort zone and with patients not at all like you.