MD & DO WAMC/ School list help CA URM 3.31 cGPA, 3.27sGPA, 509 MCAT, strong upward trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wisesalmon

Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: cGPA:3.31 sGPA:3.27 || Post bac GPA: c3.98/ sGPA 3.98 || cgpa trend: 2.0 freshman year—> 3.2 end of senior year—>3.31 after post bac
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 509 (127, 125, 127, 130)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): US Citizen, Ca
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Latino
  5. Undergraduate institution or category : UCR Biology Major, First Generation College Graduate.
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. Volunteer:
      1. 100 hours at my Universities Free Clinic as a Medical Spanish translator
      2. 250 Hours local hospital volunteer, emphasis on Spanish translation assistance
      3. *1000+ of at home care of my grandfather during my 4 years at university
    2. non volunteer:
      1. 800 hours of Scribe/ Medical Assistant work at a local Pediatric office (projected to double if not more by the time of matriculation). 100+ hours of this position in a leadership role at work. Emphasis on assisting Spanish speaking patients.
  7. Research experience and productivity:
    1. 100 of research, no notable papers or poster boards
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
    1. 100 Hours Shadowing; Pediatric Office
  9. Non-clinical volunteering-
    1. 100 hours volunteer coach/ trainer for a youth soccer team
    2. 160 projected this summer as a part of a Health Scholars Equity Program.
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. GAP YEAR:
      1. post bac through the UCR SOM Pipeline program: 1 full year of courses during COVID. cGPA 3.98/ sGPA 3.98
      2. Hospital volunteer
      3. Scribe at a local Pediatric Clinic
      4. At home care taker to my Grandfather
      5. MCAT- 509
      6. EMT Training
  11. Relevant honors or awards:
    1. Chancellor's Honors List: Junior, senior and post bac year
    2. Eagle Scout Award
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important:
    1. Fluent in Spanish
    2. I am not sure if I can use the hours being my grandfathers caretaker for clinical experience or non clinical experience. I had to learn a lot about assisting/ moving elderly individuals because he is prone to falling. I had to learn a lot about diabetes and its effects on elder individuals. I monitored his blood sugar and watched for signs of hypoglycemic events that happened often
    3. I am not sure if I can count my volunteer hours from my Eagle Scout project I did right before starting college.
    4. I do plan to apply to DO programs but don't have a list ready for that. Any recommendation for schools for DO would be great
    5. I have a drive for working with Spanish speaking populations which is why UCR SOM's Spanish Program is my dream school. I have a guaranteed interview this year due to my post bac grades. WAMC specifically for UCR if possible?
  13. School list MD (bolded is most wanted acceptance(s):
    1. UCR
    2. Michigan State university
    3. Georgetown University
    4. Oregon Health and Science
    5. Roslind Franklin
    6. TCU
    7. Rush Medical
    8. University of Cincinnati
    9. Robert Larner- Vermont
    10. Ohio State
    11. Hofstra
    12. U Colorado
    13. Central Florida
    14. U of Arizona
    15. Western Michigan
    16. Quinnipiac
    17. wake forest
    18. Temple
  14. When making a school list should I consider my post bac GPAs more than my undergrad? I have tried to be realistic in my MD list but its hard since a 3.2 cGPA limits me quite a bit. I made a MD list based on another websites OOS friendly/ mid and lower tier school lists.
  15. I was told on another site to come here post for help and to tag @Faha and @Goro for assistance. I don't know if that's against terms of the forum. Sorry first time using this site

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First off, being part of that postbac program gives you access to some advisors, correct? What advice have you already received especially from the UCR pipeline program staff?

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
New York Medical College
Einstein
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Georgetown
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Miami
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Colorado
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
California University
Kaiser
UC Riverside
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCSD
UCLA Drew
USC Keck
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, being part of that postbac program gives you access to some advisors, correct? What advice have you already received especially from the UCR pipeline program staff?
Thank you for responding. I was advised that I had a few years to use the interview opportunity. I am just both scared of the competition increasing over time, but at the same time I don’t know if I my app is strong enough to use my interview chance this year. It is arguably my dream school due to location and programs provided as well as communities served

Thank you for responding. I was advised that I had a few years to use the interview opportunity. I am just both scared of the competition increasing over time, but at the same time I don’t know if I my app is strong enough to use my interview chance this year. It is arguably my dream school due to location and programs provided as well as communities served
The program directors should be able to tell you if your application is strong enough. Seriously with the 3.98 PBGPA, that box is checked. A 598 MCAT should be okay given your disadvantaged status. What else concerns you? What do you mean by an interview opportunity? For admission or is it an advising interview?

The program directors should be able to tell you if your application is strong enough. Seriously with the 3.98 PBGPA, that box is checked. A 598 MCAT should be okay given your disadvantaged status. What else concerns you? What do you mean by an interview opportunity? For admission or is it an advising interview?
Thank you for responding to my concerns. From my understanding the post bacc has garunteed me one interview for admission to the SOM due to meeting the terms of the agreement at the start of the program. I have to submit my primary application like everyone else but I can call in to ask for my admissions interview after that. My big concern is that my application on paper apart from the post bac gpa isn’t strong enough. My fear is that if it comes down to it I don’t have enough hours to show the commitment they want and they reject me. My view is biased though due to the amount of people I see on Reddit get in to medical school with 2000+ hours of clinical work and 1000+ Hours of other volunteering compared to my 800 hours clinical and 300ish non clinical. I have over 1000+ hours of at homecare taking my grandfather during my undergrad while also working but I don’t know if those hours can count for anything.
I just fear wasting my one guaranteed admissions interview. UCR is my dream school because their Spanish program aligns with my health care goals, values and personal experiences

Last edited:
Thank you for responding to my concerns. From my understanding the post bacc has garunteed me one interview for admission to the SOM due to meeting the terms of the agreement at the start of the program. I have to submit my primary application like everyone else but I can call in to ask for my admissions interview after that. My big concern is that my application on paper apart from the post bac gpa isn’t strong enough. My fear is that if it comes down to it I don’t have enough hours to show the commitment they want and they reject me. My view is biased though due to the amount of people I see on Reddit get in to medical school with 2000+ hours of clinical work and 1000+ Hours of other volunteering compared to my 800 hours clinical and 300ish non clinical. I have over 1000+ hours of at homecare taking my grandfather during my undergrad while also working but I don’t know if those hours can count for anything.
I just fear wasting my one guaranteed admissions interview. UCR is my dream school because their Spanish program aligns with my health care goals, values and personal experiences
You didn't exactly answer my question though. Doesn't your postbac program director advise you on getting the strongest possible application given your circumstances? In other words, you shouldn't have this fear of how your application is going to be perceived. The program director should be providing an endorsement LOE to highlight your improvements in your academic preparation for medical school. He/she should be giving you an idea if asking for your interview is worth the opportunity now.

Now, in my opinion with 800+ clinical/300+ non-clinical is more than enough to satisfy concerns that you have enough hours. Your homecare taking care of family members may not be considered additional clinical experience, but you should know if UCR counts this because you're a part of their postbac pipeline program. (I'm guessing they give you some credit when it comes to compassion and altruism.)

You are very likely the type of student UCR wants to train as a future provider. They have invested effort to prepare you for the rigors and challenges of medical school because they value the life experience you bring and the talents you offer to help patients in need in the area. You have shown you can succeed academically and on the MCAT. You have a lot of experiences that inform you about a career in healthcare. Hopefully you have a mentor or a few that you have gained in this pipeline program, and I hope they are giving you honest advice about whether it's worth the shot... probably encouraging you to take the shot. Being part of the pipeline program means that the UCR AdCom knows that it should value your more recent preparation and achievements (otherwise, why have a pipeline program in the first place?).

So are they telling you NOT to take the shot? If so, why? If they are encouraging you, then how have they tried to allay your concerns?

You didn't exactly answer my question though. Doesn't your postbac program director advise you on getting the strongest possible application given your circumstances? In other words, you shouldn't have this fear of how your application is going to be perceived. The program director should be providing an endorsement LOE to highlight your improvements in your academic preparation for medical school. He/she should be giving you an idea if asking for your interview is worth the opportunity now.

Now, in my opinion with 800+ clinical/300+ non-clinical is more than enough to satisfy concerns that you have enough hours. Your homecare taking care of family members may not be considered additional clinical experience, but you should know if UCR counts this because you're a part of their postbac pipeline program. (I'm guessing they give you some credit when it comes to compassion and altruism.)

You are very likely the type of student UCR wants to train as a future provider. They have invested effort to prepare you for the rigors and challenges of medical school because they value the life experience you bring and the talents you offer to help patients in need in the area. You have shown you can succeed academically and on the MCAT. You have a lot of experiences that inform you about a career in healthcare. Hopefully you have a mentor or a few that you have gained in this pipeline program, and I hope they are giving you honest advice about whether it's worth the shot... probably encouraging you to take the shot. Being part of the pipeline program means that the UCR AdCom knows that it should value your more recent preparation and achievements (otherwise, why have a pipeline program in the first place?).

So are they telling you NOT to take the shot? If so, why? If they are encouraging you, then how have they tried to allay your concerns?
Thank you for replying again. I have been working with my academic advisor from the program on my essay and discussing what activities to put down and so on. I am also getting a letter from them discussing my academic ability. As to if they have mentioned I am a strong candidate or not the most I have gotten is a " your application is looking good" in passing, but nothing concrete. They haven't nudged me in any direction about using the interview opportunity or not. The advisor has mentioned schools I should look into as other post bac students in the past have gotten in there. I hope that answers more your question.