WAMC/School List Help cGPA 3.66 sGPA 3.66 MCAT 525

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blueshirtguy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have been lurking here for a while and reading threads about people getting into medical school whenever I got caught in the thick of undergrad. This is my first time posting! I was hoping I could get everyone's thoughts on my application and my school list!

cGPA 3.66 sGPA 3.66 with a strong upward trend having a 4.0 sGPA and at least a 3.8 cGPA since the summer before my Junior year.

MCAT 525

I have over 400 hours of shadowing in neurosurgery. I have heard people also like to see primary care so I am trying to shadow there virtually.

I have 200 hours of clinical experience/volunteering working in a nonprofit clinic taking vitals and histories

I was finance chair for my medical fraternity for a semester and helped to organize an event that raised $2000 dollars. This year I led a team that organized another event that connected college students with over 200 hospice patients and caregivers for a phone call on the holidays. I am also vice-president of the tennis club.

For research, I have spent two years working in a neuroscience lab where I have won $1000 in research funding and will likely be published 1 or 2 times before I apply, one of which was in collaboration with the neurosurgery department at an Ivy League med school. I am also helping to write a Meta-Analysis with a different med school Neurosurgery department for which I will also be published. I have also presented a poster at a conference at my school.

I have very strong LOR from a neurosurgeon, my PI, and one of my professors as well as a pretty good LOR from two more of my professors and my supervisor at the clinic.

I am an asian male from Maryland

My school list as it stands is:

Icahn (519, 3.87)
Duke (519, 3.88)
Stanford (519, 3.89)
Cornell (520, 3.9)
Yale (521, 3.9)
UVA (519, 3.91)
Chicago Pritzker (521, 3.92)
Mayo (3.92, 520)
UA-Phoenix (515, 3.81)
Hofstra (517, 3.82)
BU (518, 3.83)
Pitt (518, 3.84)
Michigan (517, 3.85)
Case-Western (519, 3.85)
Virginia Tech (513, 3.62)
UMD (515, 3.83)
Dartmouth (516, 3.78)
Miami-Miller (514, 3.78)
Georgetown (513, 3.79)
Einstein (515, 3.81)
University of Vermont (512, 3.71)
Michigan State (508, 3.71),
University of Illinois - Chicago (513, 3.75)
GWU (513, 3.76)

If I have a relationship with a professor at a medical school does that make it more likely I'll get in even if he doesn't write me a LOR, for example through research?

Thank you for your time, everyone! It is so exciting to see my post on these forums after lurking on so many others!

@Goro

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone,

I have been lurking here for a while and reading threads about people getting into medical school whenever I got caught in the thick of undergrad. This is my first time posting! I was hoping I could get everyone's thoughts on my application and my school list!

cGPA 3.66 sGPA 3.66 with a strong upward trend having a 4.0 sGPA and at least a 3.8 cGPA since the summer before my Junior year.

MCAT 525

I have over 400 hours of shadowing in neurosurgery. I have heard people also like to see primary care so I am trying to shadow there virtually.

I have 200 hours of clinical experience/volunteering working in a nonprofit clinic taking vitals and histories

I was finance chair for my medical fraternity for a semester and helped to organize an event that raised $2000 dollars. This year I led a team that organized another event that connected college students with over 200 hospice patients and caregivers for a phone call on the holidays. I am also vice-president of the tennis club.

For research, I have spent two years working in a neuroscience lab where I have won $1000 in research funding and will likely be published 1 or 2 times before I apply, one of which was in collaboration with the neurosurgery department at an Ivy League med school. I am also helping to write a Meta-Analysis with a different med school Neurosurgery department for which I will also be published. I have also presented a poster at a conference at my school.

I have very strong LOR from a neurosurgeon, my PI, and one of my professors as well as a pretty good LOR from two more of my professors and my supervisor at the clinic.

I am an asian male from Maryland

My school list as it stands is:

Icahn (519, 3.87)
Duke (519, 3.88)
Stanford (519, 3.89)
Mayo (3.92, 520)
Hofstra (517, 3.82)
BU (518, 3.83)
Pitt (518, 3.84)
Case-Western (519, 3.85)
UMD (515, 3.83)
Dartmouth (516, 3.78)
Miami-Miller (514, 3.78)
Georgetown (513, 3.79)
Einstein (515, 3.81)
University of Vermont (512, 3.71)
GWU (513, 3.76)

If I have a relationship with a professor at a medical school does that make it more likely I'll get in even if he doesn't write me a LOR, for example through research?

Thank you for your time, everyone! It is so exciting to see my post on these forums after lurking on so many others!

@Goro
Keep Va Tech ONLY if you are from the western, rural part of MD.

My list above and also add:
Vandy
WashU
Northwestern
Columbia
Dartmouth
Pitt
Keck
UCSF
EVMS
U Miami
Hofstra
Emory
Jefferson
Drexel
Albany
Tufts
NYMC
Rush
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
Tulane
Wake
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Wayne State
Netter
NYU.LI

Reactions: 1 user
Keep Va Tech ONLY if you are from the western, rural part of MD.

My list above and also add:
Vandy
WashU
Northwestern
Columbia
Dartmouth
Pitt
Keck
UCSF
EVMS
U Miami
Hofstra
Emory
Jefferson
Drexel
Albany
Tufts
NYMC
Rush
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
Tulane
Wake
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Wayne State
Netter
NYU.LI
For schools like Wash U, do you think it would be low yield coming from Maryland? Also, my GPA is below 10th percentile for Columbia. Do you think they may be turned off by that?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
For schools like Wash U, do you think it would be low yield coming from Maryland? Also, my GPA is below 10th percentile for Columbia. Do you think they may be turned off by that?

Thanks!
WashU is a private school and doesn't have much regional bias

Thanks!
Columbia like reinventors. WashU is a stats who...um, stats sex worker. I have no evidence that they have a bias for people from the midwest, unlike U Chicago seems to have (or did!).

Reactions: 1 users
Columbia like reinventors. WashU is a stats who...um, stats sex worker. I have no evidence that they have a bias for people from the midwest, unlike U Chicago seems to have (or did!).
You made me laugh out loud in my lab! I'll add those schools to my list.
Thank you very much for all the help you've given me and others over the years!

Reactions: 1 user